Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-14 10:42:10

james0r

Duplicate title bar in some notifications

Using Xfce 4.10 on Debian Testing with Elementary theme. Getting these annoying duplicate title bars (headers?) in some alert windows. Here is a screenshot --> http://imagebin.org/305443 . I'm guessing this is a GTK theming issue. I have all the theme engines installed that i could find in the testing repos.

Anyone know how to resolve this? Bugging the crap out of me.

Thanks!

#2 2014-04-14 13:28:20

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Duplicate title bar in some notifications

A few questions:

1. Elementary theme is a GTK-only theme. What are you using as your Window Manager theme? What happens if you change the Window Manager theme?

2. Is the Xfce Window Manager running (xfwm4)? If not, which window manager is running?

3. Other than synaptic, what other applications are creating the duplicate header bar?

I'm not that familiar with Debian Testing, but what version of GTK3 does it use? I believe the theme requires at least 3.4.
I installed the theme here (Xubuntu 14.04, Xfce 4.11.1, GTK3-3.10.8) and I don't have that issue.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-04-14 14:26:34

james0r

1. Elementary theme is a GTK-only theme. What are you using as your Window Manager theme? What happens if you change the Window Manager theme?

I was running Kwin on the machine i'm on right now before but i'm back on Xfwm now. I use Compton Compositor for tearless video playback. I would say it might have something to do with my previous install of kwin but I have the same issue on another machine with a fresh install of Xfce (on debian testing as well).

2. Is the Xfce Window Manager running (xfwm4)? If not, which window manager is running?

Yeah. I confirmed by running Wmctrl.

3. Other than synaptic, what other applications are creating the duplicate header bar?

I swear I ran into this in at least a few apps a few days ago, but at the moment I can only replicate this with Synaptic. I'll keep an eye on other apps.

I'm not that familiar with Debian Testing, but what version of GTK3 does it use? I believe the theme requires at least 3.4.
I installed the theme here (Xubuntu 14.04, Xfce 4.11.1, GTK3-3.10.8) and I don't have that issue.

dpkg -s libgtk-3-0|grep '^Version'

shows:

Version: 3.12.0-4

#4 2014-04-14 14:39:24

ToZ
Administrator

With xfwm4 running, if you go to "Settings Manager -> Window Manager -> Style tab", which window manager theme is selected? Does the problem resolve itself if you change the Window Manager theme?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-04-15 01:22:11

james0r

I forgot to mention that I tried other windows manager themes as well and still show the duplicate title bar info.

#6 2014-04-15 02:28:03

ToZ
Administrator

I've installed the elementary theme on a Xubuntu 14.04 machine and wasn't able to replicate the problem.

Does it happen with Appearance (gtk) themes other that elementary?

#7 2014-04-15 04:19:11

james0r

Yes, all themes are affected. But font size of the header (the in-app title info) varies depending on the theme I choose.

#8 2014-04-15 17:20:16

ToZ
Administrator

I just installed debian jesse in a vm, elementary theme and the murrine gtk engine and am unable to replicate the issue. Oddly enough, my synaptic screenshot doesn't look like yours either.

Just had a thought: Have you ever logged in as root? Do you have a root Xfce session? If so, is another window manager running in the root session? Maybe somehow when you run apps requiring root authentication, its starting up the other window manager??? Synaptic seems to be authenticating using pkexec (see: "ps -ef | grep synaptic" when the authentication window is up). I'm not that familiar with pkexec (would it do something like that?)

#9 2014-04-15 23:43:31

0strodamus

Maybe this audacious post is related to your issue? The GTK+ 3.12 upgrade has caused some ugliness on my system, but not the double titlebar problem, which according to the link I provided is fixed in 3.12.1.

@ToZ: I've been lurking here since migrating to Arch/Xfce late last year and you rock! I'm amazed at your willingness to help, your depth of knowledge, and the amount of informative replies you post is just staggering. I have learned a ton of stuff about Xfce and Linux from reading your posts and I wanted to say thank you.

archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

#10 2014-04-16 03:39:58

ToZ
Administrator

Nice catch @0strodamus. Looks like the issue is gtk 3.12. The link you provided identifies both the relevant gnome and Xfce bug reports. Thanks.

(and thanks for your kind words).

#11 2014-04-16 07:47:36

james0r

Wow good work to both of you. I love the Xfce community. Good to know it's a GTK version issue because I couldn't for the life of my think of how I brought this on. I'm looking into upgrading my version to 3.12.1 or using the GTK patch provided. Not sure yet how to use it though.

Also, this is my first thread created on the Xfce forums and I couldn't be happier with the result.

Thanks again!

Last edited by james0r (2014-04-16 07:50:11)

#12 2014-04-16 07:49:31

james0r

@ToZ: Sorry I got to the final post first before seeing your prior post. But to answer your question, although Synaptic is running as root it's the same windows manager. On this particular system I hadn't swapped the WM for Kwin like I did with my other machine.

#13 2015-12-15 08:13:03

kurtmeln

I figured this out by: Setting -> Setting Manager -> Window Manager Tweaks, then goto "Compositor" tab, click "Enable display cpmpositing", "Show windows preview in place of icons when cycling", and "Show shadows under regular windows", will solve this.
PS. running on debian 8.2, xfce4.12.

Board footer