Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-10 04:43:41

reguspatoff

notification area not showing and I can't add it

If this is the wrong topic area for this I am sorry, but it didn't seem to go anywhere else.

I cannot load the notification area to my panel. I have removed the panel and reinstalled it. When I try to add the notification area to my panel, the notification area is grayed out. One time when I tried to add it it told me that the notification area was running external.

Any ideas as to what I might do?

#2 2014-05-10 11:19:47

ToZ
Administrator

Re: notification area not showing and I can't add it

One of the reasons that the notification area is greyed out is because it is already running on a panel (you are only allowed one instance of it). This command will help to identify if it is:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep systray

What distro are you using? Which version of Xfce? How many panels do you have enabled?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-05-12 23:23:18

reguspatoff

I  am using opensuse 12.3, xfce4-session 4.10.0-7.3.1, xfce4-panel 4.10.0-5.1.1. I have 3 panels top, bottom and left side

When I ran the query you suggested I got the following response:

Failed to init libxconf: did not receive a reply. Possible causes  include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken..

#4 2014-05-12 23:43:31

ToZ
Administrator

Failed to init libxconf: did not receive a reply. Possible causes  include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken..

If you run "xfce4-settings-editor", do you see the channels and properties?

Are xfconf and libxfconf installed?

Is xfconfd running? If not, what happens if you try to start it up?

It might be helpful if you create a new account and log in with it to see if it works. It would help to identify whether this is a system or profile problem.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-05-13 21:57:25

reguspatoff

tried your suggestions and found the following:

1. xfce4-settings-editor is working and I can see channels,
2. xfconf and libxfconfd are installed and xfconfd is running,
3. created a new account and the notification area is working in the panel of the new account; also,  when I log into root it is in root panel .

Is it a profile problem?

Thanks for all your help.

#6 2014-05-13 23:25:49

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, it looks like something is amiss with your profile and I'm not sure what it can be. It may be easier to either create a new profile (account) for yourself or reset all Xfce settings. To reset the Xfce settings, you need to not be logged in with the problem account. Then delete (or rename if you want to save them for future reference) the .config/xfce4 and .cache/sessions directories. When you log in again, those directories will be re-created and everything reset to default.

#7 2014-05-14 04:53:16

reguspatoff

I deleted those 2 directories and now have the notification area back. I have to rebuild my panel icons etc., but I will get it done.

Thanks again for your help.

Board footer