Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-25 05:57:33

jessejazza

[Solved] Customising new Xubuntu 14.04 menu

Can one customise this menu and revert back to the previous menu bar style of earlier versions. I'm not that technical but from reading I couldn't see a way.

#2 2014-05-25 09:16:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Customising new Xubuntu 14.04 menu

The new menu in Xubuntu 14.04 is called the Whisker Menu. To edit it, right-click on its icon on the panel and choose "Edit Applications". This will start up menulibre that you can use to edit it.

If you want to go back to the original Xfce menu, simply remove the Whisker menu from your panel and add back the "Applications Menu".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-05-25 18:28:15

jessejazza

Thanks.

Daft aren't I - I didn't think of looking in the Panel--Add new items. I've reading online thinking there was something there and it had changed.

A while back I tried a distro with a similar Mouse menu and there was an option to return to menubars - that is what I thought I was missing somehow.

#4 2014-05-25 19:40:18

jessejazza

One thing I don't seem to be able to achieve is editing the menu. With menulibre I can't delete unwanted items like Mail Reader, Games, Xubuntu website.
used to go into Settings Manager--Menu editor. deleting doesn't seem to work.

thanks for help

#5 2014-05-26 00:14:58

ToZ
Administrator

You don't actually delete menu items, you hide them.

To hide the Mail Reader menu item, for example, first click on it to select it. On the right-hand side, move the "Hide from Menus" slider to the so that it reads "On". Then save the launcher entry (2nd button from the right in the button bar at the top of the dialog).

Note: If you want to remove an entry from the "Favorites" listing of Whisker Menu, simply right-click and select "Remove from Favorites".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2014-05-26 17:29:55

jessejazza

ToZ wrote:

a] You don't actually delete menu items, you hide them.

b] To hide the Mail Reader menu item, for example, first click on it to select it. On the right-hand side, move the "Hide from Menus" slider to the so that it reads "On". Then save the launcher entry (2nd button from the right in the button bar at the top of the dialog).

Note: If you want to remove an entry from the "Favorites" listing of Whisker Menu, simply right-click and select "Remove from Favorites".

a] I did somehow before menulibre i'm sure... but not the case it would seem.
b] I did that. I think I've got a hard disk problem. I installed 14.04 on my test machine just to experiment before i do an install on my main PC. I double checked the iso and there's a problem somewhere.

Thanks

Board footer