Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-16 11:30:48

cmcanulty

[Solved] install zinio on xfce4 or kindle

I am trying to read magazines from zinio on  my xubuntu 14.04 64 bit. I've done all the instructions and still get needs gnome keyring but I have it installed

#2 2014-06-16 12:40:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] install zinio on xfce4 or kindle

The last post in this thread documents a potential workaround.

EDIT: These instructions successfully installed Adobe AIR on my Xubuntu 14.04 box.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-06-16 13:10:55)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-06-16 16:31:38

cmcanulty

OK I think I have it installed. Now I click on the app and it goes to my file browser and says select installation package. When I try to read a magazine from the library it goes to a grey page. I also installed elance tracker as the page said to but not sure why it seems to be a job hunting app but your link said to install it.Sure is complicated! How can a non techie ever read a magazine?

Last edited by cmcanulty (2014-06-16 16:43:46)

#4 2014-06-16 18:50:14

ToZ
Administrator

I also installed elance tracker as the page said to but not sure why it seems to be a job hunting app but your link said to install it.

Sorry, you didn't need to install the elance tracker, it was just the first part of that page that installed Adobe AIR that was important.

When I try to read a magazine from the library it goes to a grey page.

Yeah, I see the same. If I run it from the command line, I get:

Unknown desktop manager, only Gnome and KDE are supported

Not sure what else to suggest.

EDIT: According to http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/install-a … tions.html, you have to do some extra work to install it for Xfce. This works and brings up an interface.

Summary of installation steps:
1. If you have already installed Adobe Air, you need to uninstall it:

sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin -uninstall

...from the directory that the Adobe AIR installer is in.

2. If you have already installed Zinio, you need to remove it:

sudo rm -rf /opt/Zinio\ Reader\ 4

3. Set the environment variable:

export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default

4. Reinstall adobe air:

sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

5. Reinstall Zinio Reader:

sudo /opt/Adobe/Flash\ Player/AddIns/airappinstaller/airappinstaller ZinioReader4.air

6. Start up zinio to test:

/opt/Zinio\ Reader\ 4/bin/Zinio\ Reader\ 4

7. If it works, add the environment variable to /etc/environment:

echo “GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default” >> /etc/environment

...as root.

8. Log out and back in again and run it from the menu.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-06-16 19:10:10)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-06-16 21:18:49

cmcanulty

sorry to be dumb  Where do I do the steps in the link and where do I switch to your list? This is the first time in years I haven't been able to do something and had to go to my VB win 7 but I want to do it in xubuntu, thanks

Last edited by cmcanulty (2014-06-16 21:44:13)

#6 2014-06-16 22:15:22

ToZ
Administrator

Download both the Adobe Air installer and the Zinio installer to your Downloads directory. Open a terminal, go to the Downloads directory and start with the instructions from my last post.

#7 2014-06-16 22:48:36

cmcanulty

OK I can do all that but the zinio installer page doesn't show a linux version and I never did install it
http://www.zinio.com/www/apps/desktop.jsp (see bottom of page)

#8 2014-06-17 01:36:12

ToZ
Administrator

cmcanulty wrote:

OK I can do all that but the zinio installer page doesn't show a linux version and I never did install it
http://www.zinio.com/www/apps/desktop.jsp (see bottom of page)

Just grab the air file (http://imgs.zinio.com/zinio-reader/inst … eader4.air) and install it using the adobe air installer (step #5).

#9 2014-06-17 12:27:16

cmcanulty

OK I got air installed by saving it to temp not downloads then I get this error when I try to install the reader I did set it to x permission by using nautilus also air is asking to update, should I or will that break air? as I notice it is a very old version that has linux
cmcanulty@ubuntu1:/tmp$ sudo /opt/Adobe/Flash\ Player/AddIns/airappinstaller/airappinstaller ZinioReader4.air
unexpected error: ArgumentError: Absolute path of the air file needs to be specified.
cmcanulty@ubuntu1:/tmp$

Last edited by cmcanulty (2014-06-17 12:46:43)

#10 2014-06-17 13:31:17

ToZ
Administrator

Sorry, forgot the dependency installs from the first link. Try these instructions instead. Make sure you copy/paste the commands below (for accuracy) and if you get any error, please post back the exact error message that you get. This install works on my Xubuntu 14.04 64-bit install:

1. Install dependencies:

sudo apt-get install libxt6:i386 libnspr4-0d:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libnss3-1d:i386 libnss-mdns libxml2:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libcanberra-gtk-module:i386 gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 libgnome-keyring0:i386

2. Create necessary symlinks:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0 /usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0 /usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0

3. Go to your Downloads directory and get the necessary install files:

cd ~/Downloads
wget http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/lin/download/2.6/AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
wget http://imgs.zinio.com/zinio-reader/installers/ZinioReader4.air

4. Export the environment variable:

export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default

5. Install adobe air:

chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

6. Install Zinio Reader:

sudo /opt/Adobe/Flash\ Player/AddIns/airappinstaller/airappinstaller $PWD/ZinioReader4.air

7. Start up Zinio manually to test if it works:

/opt/Zinio\ Reader\ 4/bin/Zinio\ Reader\ 4

8. Add the environment variable to the application startup:

sudo bash -i
sed -i 's/Exec=/Exec=env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default /' /usr/share/applications/zinioreader4*
exit

9. Reboot and test by clicking on the icon in the application menu.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-06-17 20:22:27)

#11 2014-06-17 16:40:26

cmcanulty

I get an error in the zinio install box, not in terminal
"The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged try obtaining a new installer file from the application author. I tried again and now get this (note I can open zinio but get just a black screen no menus or anything to use it

cmcanulty@ubuntu1:~$ cd ~/Downloads
cmcanulty@ubuntu1:~/Downloads$ wget [url]http://imgs.zinio.com/zinio-reader/installers/ZinioReader4.air[/url]
--2014-06-17 12:54:10--  [url]http://imgs.zinio.com/zinio-reader/installers/ZinioReader4.air[/url]
Resolving imgs.zinio.com (imgs.zinio.com)... 8.247.93.187, 8.247.77.187
Connecting to imgs.zinio.com (imgs.zinio.com)|8.247.93.187|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 5505155 (5.2M) [application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package+zip]
Saving to: ‘ZinioReader4.air.1’

100%[======================================>] 5,505,155   1.87MB/s   in 2.8s   

2014-06-17 12:54:13 (1.87 MB/s) - ‘ZinioReader4.air.1’ saved [5505155/5505155]

cmcanulty@ubuntu1:~/Downloads$ export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default
cmcanulty@ubuntu1:~/Downloads$ sudo /opt/Adobe/Flash\ Player/AddIns/airappinstaller/airappinstaller $PWD/ZinioReader4.air
[sudo] password for cmcanulty: 

(Adobe AIR Application Installer:6403): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(Adobe AIR Application Installer:6403): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

cmcanulty@ubuntu1:~/Downloads$ sudo bash -i
root@ubuntu1:~/Downloads# sed -i 's/Exec=/Exec=env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default /' zinioreader4*
sed: can't read zinioreader4*: No such file or directory
root@ubuntu1:~/Downloads# exitsudo bash -i
exitsudo: command not found
root@ubuntu1:~/Downloads# sed -i 's/Exec=/Exec=env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default /' zinioreader4*
root@ubuntu1:~/Downloads# root@ubuntu1:~/Downloads# sed -i 's/Exec=/Exec=env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default /' zinioreader4*
bash: root@ubuntu1:~/Downloads#: No such file or directory
root@ubuntu1:~/Downloads# sed: can't read zinioreader4*: No such file or directory
> root@ubuntu1:~/Downlo 

Last edited by cmcanulty (2014-06-17 16:59:02)

#12 2014-06-17 17:05:34

ToZ
Administrator

cmcanulty wrote:

I get an error in the zinio install box, not in terminal
"The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged try obtaining a new installer file from the application author. I tried again and now get this (note I can open zinio but get just a black screen no menus or anything to use it

When you tried to re-download the file, it added a ".1" to the file name so the instructions weren't using the correct file.

Saving to: ‘ZinioReader4.air.1’

Before you try downloading the file again, delete all of the ZinioReader4.air files in your Downloads directory. Then download the zinio file again:

wget http://imgs.zinio.com/zinio-reader/installers/ZinioReader4.air

...then go to Step #4, then jump to step #6 (no need to reinstall Adobe AIR).)

#13 2014-06-17 17:21:13

cmcanulty

OK I got it to open to black page and restarted again black page I am not doing step 8 correctly
{CODE}root@ubuntu1:~# sudo bash -i
root@ubuntu1:~# sed -i 's/Exec=/Exec=env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default /' zinioreader4*
root@ubuntu1:~# exit
{CODE}

#14 2014-06-17 20:21:57

ToZ
Administrator

My bad again - forgot the path to the desktop file. Try this instead:

sudo bash -i
sed -i 's/Exec=/Exec=env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default /' /usr/share/applications/zinioreader4*
exit

I'll fix it in the instructions above.

#15 2014-06-17 20:57:29

cmcanulty

Wow I got it (or rather you got it!) Thanks. I hope you can write it all up so I know the correct steps without the glitches. I do appreciate your time. I run 10 Xubuntu machines at our local library and need to get this on all of them. I wish I understood some of the more esoteric bits like the sed which I have never come across before and export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default.

#16 2014-06-17 23:27:17

ToZ
Administrator

Glad to hear.

I hope you can write it all up so I know the correct steps without the glitches.

I've updated my post #10 to include the working instructions.

I wish I understood some of the more esoteric bits like the sed which I have never come across before and export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default.

"sed -i" is an in-place edit of the /usr/share/applications/zinioreader4* file. Specifically, it looks for the string "Exec=" and replaces it with "Exec=env GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=default " which has the effect of adding the environment variable to the command that starts the application (which makes it work).

I run 10 Xubuntu machines at our local library and need to get this on all of them.

I've read some of your posts over at ubuntuforums.org - quite the job/project you have going there.

I do appreciate your time.

No worries. Glad I could help.

#17 2014-06-18 12:14:44

cmcanulty

Thanks again!

Board footer