Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-10 13:17:08

Wihajster

[Solved: GTK Issues] Midori Appearance Customisation

Happily running Xfce4 on Gentoo, I decided to give the Midori web browser a go after getting fed up with the size of Google Chrome. It's enjoyable to use, but at the moment it doesn't really fit with the rest of my applications' appearance: it's very 'blocky', and after some searching I couldn't find any way to fix this. I have my Xfce using the Xfce-4.6 theme, but Midori looks almost like it is using Raleigh--and without any indication as to which of the open tabs is the active one, which is frustrating.

How can I take this and make it look more in line with other applications (Appearance window shown for reference) or screnshots of Midori online such as this or this?

Likewise, favicons are inconsistently displayed. It's a nice browser but I'm struggling to configure it to look a bit less utilitarian.

(I failed to find a Midori-specific forum, so I fell back to these forums since it is an Xfce project--apologies if this isn't the best place.)

Last edited by Wihajster (2014-07-11 23:11:10)

#2 2014-07-10 16:10:26

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved: GTK Issues] Midori Appearance Customisation

The first theme link is from Windows, so you may have some difficulty getting that look. The second link looks like the Adwaita GTK appearance theme with an Amantini xfwm theme.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-07-10 16:49:56

Wihajster

Thanks for your answer. I just used those two themes as an example--I'm not looking to replicate them exactly.

I think I might be getting confused; I tried tweaking the settings in xfwm4-settings and the appearance manager, but Midori didn't show any change. Likewise when I copied the Xfce-4.6 theme's gtkrc file to ~/.gtkrc-2.0 like the FAQ suggested for modifying Midori's GTK. Is this current style a 'default' that can be modified to be more in-line with the appearance of other applications, or is it a hard feature of Midori?

#4 2014-07-10 18:24:39

ToZ
Administrator

When you change the Appearance theme, do any of the window widgets change? Or is it just in midori that they don't change?

As far as I know, midori is a GTK2 app and should follow the GTK2 theme changes that are made session-wide. There should be no need for midori-specific hacks. In fact, on my Xubuntu install, thats how it works. Midori appearance changes with session appearance changes.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2014-07-11 16:55:16

Wihajster

I just checked and no, that's not the case: Transmission is the closest installed application I could find in terms of 'blockiness', and fiddling around with themes did nothing there either.

It's very odd; perhaps with the nature of Gentoo I've missed out on some package that's needed to tie it all together. I'll look into that angle of things. Thanks.

#6 2014-07-11 23:10:51

Wihajster

I managed to find a solution to this and other GTK applications looking ugly by a combination of tinkering and trial-and-error.

I'm sure the same information can be found elsewhere, but just in case it helps anyone else: the default Xfce themes don't seem to, for whatever reason, play nicely with GTK3. I only had the Xfce themes installed with GTK2 support, but even after installing the versions supporting GTK3 applications weren't displayed properly. I found that the 'Clearlooks Phenix' theme maintains the clean, simplistic feel of the default Xfce themes while extending that to theme GTK applications as well.

Thanks to ToZ for pointing me in the right direction.

#7 2014-07-11 23:19:08

ToZ
Administrator

Just looking at the gentoo package listing.... and out of curiosity, do you have the gtk-engines and gtk-engines-xfce packages installed?

#8 2014-07-12 15:37:04

Wihajster

I didn't at first, but even after installation the problem wasn't really fixed. Installing them seemed to get the Xfce themes to sort of work with GTK, but not very well: this was the (bugged-seeming?) result. Clearlooks-Phenix gave me a much cleaner-looking interface.

#9 2014-07-12 16:22:04

ToZ
Administrator

That first image looks like a bad GTK3 rendering of a theme. GTK3 has been a real moving target of late and the themes need to be updated regularly to keep in tune. Give the shimmer themes a try - they are kept up-to-date with GTK3 changes.

Board footer