Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-11 12:17:45

pcoder

[Solved] Problem uninstalling a language

I am using Xubuntu 12.04.4 LTS. Xfce version 4.8 distributed by Xubuntu. My system has both English and French languages installed. I would like to have only English.

I have tried to remove it from Application Menu > Paramètres > Language Support > Install / Remove Languages. Then I end up getting this error:

FluxBB bbcode test

I came to know that this was due to policy kit authetication agent not running. But unfortunately when I try to run this agent, I get this error

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:16082): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Unable to determine the session we are in: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to lookup session information for process '16082'

As this seems to be related to gnome, I think I am missing a trick to achieve this in Xfce? Thanks for your suggestions and replies.

The locale on my machine gives the output:

$ locale

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

Last edited by pcoder (2014-07-11 12:18:21)

#2 2014-07-11 14:25:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Problem uninstalling a language

You need root privileges to install or remove language support. If you are running this from the menu, its possible the proper privileges are not in place. It also looks like the 12.04 environment isn't properly setup to allow for policykit authentication for this application (the same happens in 14.04 - so probably a bug). To workaround this issue, try running it as root and see if it helps. From a terminal window:

gksudo gnome-language-selector

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-07-11 15:14:20

pcoder

Indeed that seems to have been the problem. I am able to remove the language using the root permissions. Thanks a ton, ToZ.

Last edited by pcoder (2014-07-11 15:14:49)

#4 2014-07-11 17:08:04

ToZ
Administrator

Good to hear that it worked. If you plan on making further use of this utility in 12.04 and want to be able to execute it from the menu, edit the /usr/share/applications/gnome-language-selector.desktop file and change the line that reads:

Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-language-selector

...to read:

Exec=gksudo /usr/bin/gnome-language-selector

For Xubuntu 14.04, the file is called /usr/share/applications/language-selector.desktop and gksu (gksudo) isn't installed by default, so you'll have to install it first.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer