Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-06 03:21:51

sixwingsfire

[Solved] Easy way create desktop shortcuts?

Hi there!

I was advised to start a new thread to an old question posted back in 2009, because a lot has changed since then and creating a desktop icon is supposed to be easy now.
I must admit I'm a new convert to Linux and have a lot to learn. That's why I'm here. I think the XFCE desktop envionment is one of the best set-ups of them all, but there are very simple tasks that are not intuitive at all or downright hard to accomplish.

One of those things is creating a desktop icon. I found out through much trial and error and by finally giving up and looking it up on the internet, that you have to "Create a Launcher", which sounds much different than adding a desktop shortcut. But it does make sense as to why it's called that... just threw me off.

It's easy enough to create them now that I know, but theres still a couple of problems.

I would like to look at and go through all the apps I have so that I can decide which ones I'd like on the desktop. Once I looked up where to find those, I right clicked on one that I wanted and I see the "send to desktop(create shortcut)" option. That's perfect! But not so fast.... Now I have a shortcut with a lock on it, and everytime I click it there's a warning saying:
{Untrusted application launcher}
"The desktop file "gcalctool.desktop" is in an insecure location and not marked as executable. If you do not trust this program, click Cancel.
Exec=gnome-calculator"
with a promt to "Launch Anyway" or "Cancel"

So it seems that I can't use a built in function smoothly?

It's not very handy to add these shortcuts with the "create launcher" function because then I'm not choosing from a list... I have to start typing the app I want from memory, unless I "work-around" that by adding all the ones I want from the list of applications or look at the list in another open window, then I can see them and I start creating the real shortcuts with the create launcher function.
After that I still get the same error, but this time a 3rd option is on the promt: "Mark Executable" ...well I'm glad that was there... now it's functional.

I'm not sure how hard it was in 2009, but I'm glad it's better.... but as you can see it's still not intuitive or convenient and requires some sort of work around.

Next I'd like to add a shortcut to the usr/shared/applications folder... but so far that has been impossible.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by sixwingsfire (2014-09-06 03:26:08)

#2 2014-09-06 05:13:31

MountainDewManiac

Re: [Solved] Easy way create desktop shortcuts?

<SCRATCHES HEAD> But it IS easy to create a desktop shortcut for one of your apps. Just open your menu, move your mouse cursor over the app, hold your left mouse button down, move your mouse cursor to the desktop, and let go of the button. I believe this process is known as "click and drag," "drag it to the desktop," something like that.

I was under the impression that it worked on every OS, including linux. When I read your post, I thought, "Maybe not?" But I just tried and, yes, works in linux, too.

Now I just need to delete that Netflix shortcut so my desktop goes back to being clean & pristine, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2014-09-06 05:37:48

MountainDewManiac

I just tried to do the same thing with the directory you mentioned by right-clicking on it from Thunar and choosing Send to / Desktop (Create Link). I also saw that the directory (link) was locked. But, really, that makes sense, because I checked the permissions and they're "root" - the same as the actual directory.

I did the same thing with a folder that I did have permissions for, and I was able to access it via the desktop link (also as expected).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2014-09-06 06:29:22

sixwingsfire

MountainDewManiac wrote:

<SCRATCHES HEAD> But it IS easy to create a desktop shortcut for one of your apps. Just open your menu, move your mouse cursor over the app, hold your left mouse button down, move your mouse cursor to the desktop, and let go of the button. I believe this process is known as "click and drag," "drag it to the desktop," something like that.
MDM

I believe it's called "Drag and Drop" smile

There's 2 reasons I didn't do it that way:

1. Not all of my apps show up in the applications menu. The directory I mentioned shows a complete list.
2. I didn't try it!! big_smile

Thanks for your reply

#5 2014-09-06 06:41:57

sixwingsfire

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I just tried to do the same thing with the directory you mentioned by right-clicking on it from Thunar and choosing Send to / Desktop (Create Link). I also saw that the directory (link) was locked. But, really, that makes sense, because I checked the permissions and they're "root" - the same as the actual directory.

I did the same thing with a folder that I did have permissions for, and I was able to access it via the desktop link (also as expected).
MDM

I knew the folder was under root permissions, but the right click functionality was there all the way up to launching it, as long as you didn't mind the error message each time. I just didn't understand why that would even be an option... what a tease!

I'm under a serious learning curve trying to unlearn Winblows habits and expectations. I'm sure in a couple more weeks I'll be able to see obvious things much easier.

BTW on my computer, even when I drag and drop an app from the applications menu to the desktop to make the shortcut, it still has the error message and I have to mark it as executable. Maybe that's a security thing...

Last edited by sixwingsfire (2014-09-06 06:48:33)

#6 2014-09-06 06:47:11

sixwingsfire

I really kind of like access to that "usr/shared/applications" folder. I haven't yet figured out if there's a way to make a desktop shortcut for it. Since it's 'root' permission, I would bet I have to go to the terminal and use a sudo command...

If anyone knows a way I'd appreciate it. I'll be googling it in the meantime wink

#7 2014-09-06 07:34:00

sixwingsfire

OK I found it!

In the terminal you type:
'sudo ln -s /path/to/target /path/to/link'

smile

I will see you in another thread - good night all

#8 2014-09-07 07:22:02

PaperNick

The apps that are present in your menu are from: "/usr/share/applications" (Global) and "~/.local/share/applications" (Local for the specific user).

If you want to make a specific app appear in your menu, you can create a .desktop file in "~/.local/share/applications" (No need for root permissions). Xubuntu 14.04 comes with pre-installed app called "menulibre". You can easily create or modify existing launchers with GUI interface. And why would you want to access "/usr/share/applications" when all of those apps are listed in your menu by category?

If you want to make a link to a folder that doesn't have a lock, you can create a launcher like this. If you want to access this launcher from your menu, you have to copy the file in "~/.local/share/applications".

Here's little example:
I recently downloaded portable LibreOffice 4.3 and I wanted to access it from my menu. I created a launcher from menulibre and now I can access it.
https://i.imgur.com/cJzNZ4h.png

Last edited by PaperNick (2014-09-07 07:49:03)

#9 2014-09-07 23:33:52

sixwingsfire

PaperNick wrote:

why would you want to access "/usr/share/applications" when all of those apps are listed in your menu by category?

Actually the folder "/usr/share/applications" has more. It is full of symbolic links to all your executables including each executable command found inside places like the "Settings Manager". While technically those are accessable in the menu by openning the menu, clicking on Settings Manager, then selecting an app (for example "Appearance"), there's not any drag and drop functionality to create a launcher to "Appearance" on the desktop from Settings Manager. But inside "/usr/share/applications" there is, and I can save 2 steps and have a launcher that goes directly to "Appearance". Which I have figured out how to do now. wink

Also I like seeing everything all in one place (listed alphabetically) for reference, especially when you can look at the properties of each one, including where the actual app is found and what natively opens it... just personal preference for convenience. It even lists executables that are only accessed inside of other applications otherwise. For example the "Bulk Rename" command from Thunar is there. That's not useful, but it's just an example of what's there that isn't in the menu.

Take a careful look at "/usr/share/applications" and you will see what I mean.

BTW I'm using Ubuntu Sudio, not Xubuntu, but that menu app sounds pretty cool.

This thread is [SOLVED] but thank you very much for your input anyway smile

Hope you have a great day

Last edited by sixwingsfire (2014-09-07 23:40:01)

#10 2014-09-09 06:39:02

PaperNick

Now I understand smile

You can try to use my system menu which gives you direct access to launchers like "Appearance":
Gnome 2 menus for Xubuntu 14.04

#11 2014-09-09 16:50:02

sixwingsfire

PaperNick wrote:

Now I understand smile

You can try to use my system menu which gives you direct access to launchers like "Appearance":
Gnome 2 menus for Xubuntu 14.04

Wow! I really like the System Menu. I'ts now on my panel! smile
Thanks a lot!

#12 2014-09-09 19:01:50

PaperNick

You're welcome smile

Here's another small tip if you want to integrate "Administration" and "Preferences" from SystemMenu, in the default Xfce menu:
How to integrate Administration and Preferences in Xfce menu
How it looks in Whisker menu with search function

Board footer