Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-15 16:01:46

poypoy

An idea for taskbar

I think one thing which is missing from Linux is the ability to know which programs are running on other workspaces. In Xfce, I move my mouse over to the other edge of the screen to switch to one of the three workspaces I have. But if I've been working for a while, it can get a bit hectic and it can be easy to forget which windows are where.

In the options window where it says:
Filtering: [ ] Show windows from all workspaces

...you could have also or instead:
Show windows from workspace [#]

This would allow multiple panels/taskbars to correspond to the side of the screen they are on and another workspace is relative to, so you always know where your other windows are.

~example: I'm in in the middle workspace (2of3), on workspace1 I have Iceweasel and workspace3 is a terminal. So, I have a panel on the left of the screen which shows an Iceweasel task and on a panel on the right which shows a terminal task. Since Xfce allows variable length and transpancy one could even make these look like docks.

#2 2014-11-15 18:07:17

ToZ
Administrator

Re: An idea for taskbar

poypoy wrote:

I think one thing which is missing from Linux is the ability to know which programs are running on other workspaces.

Not to take away from your suggestion (which sounds interesting), but Xfce has a window menu that displays all open windows listed by workspace. You can access this via middle-click on desktop (or left & right button together) or add the Window Menu plugin to a panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-11-15 18:39:00

poypoy

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. (Although switching workspaces and viewing the taskbar on the other workspace might be faster.)

One thing I forgot to mention is that this probably wouldn't be so good with non-linear workspaces. smile

#4 2014-11-15 18:53:00

ToZ
Administrator

If want to follow through with an enhancement request, the best place to put is in the bug tracker.

Here is the page for the Window Buttons plugin.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer