#1 2013-06-14 16:45:45

excalibur1234

[Solved] thunar detailed view bug

i have:
xfce 4.10
thunar 1.6.3
manjaro 0.8.6

thunar bug
edit: ok. i somehow do not manage to get the picture displayed. here a link: Thunar Bug

as shown in the picture, when i open thunar (always in detailed view mode) and drag the right of the "name" column (red line) to the right (red arrow) i am also able to see longer file names. when i open a second instance of thunar, it has the changes i made (increasing the width of the "name" column) already applied.

but when i close all instances of thunar and open thunar again, the window always looks like in the picture. it is annoying to have to widen the name column every time i want to look at a list of files. it also does not look good at all.

how can this be fixed?
can i set the width of the "name" column to a fixed value somewhere? this would help as well.

Last edited by excalibur1234 (2013-06-14 16:48:19)

#2 2013-06-14 17:06:36

MountainDewManiac

Re: [Solved] thunar detailed view bug

Try Settings/Settings Editor, then select the thunar "channel" in the column on the left side of your screen, then set option last-details-view-column-widths to your liking. There may be other options there that will also help (perhaps one for persistence of changes?).

Hope this helps,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2013-06-14 18:05:23

excalibur1234

thank you.
first, i did not understand at all what you said. i tried the settings menu, but it did not help. after a while i thought you might tallk about hidden settings described here: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/hidden-settings
this page is outdated, because there are at least twice or three times as many settings as described on that page.

after a while i realized that by entering "xfconf-query --channel thunar -l" in my terminal, i get all the available settings.

so thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. but your answer was not intuitively understandable at all (this is not meant personal).

p.s.: all i need to do is to activate the fixed columns width like this: "xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /last-details-view-fixed-columns -s true". i needed about an hour to figure this out...

Last edited by excalibur1234 (2013-06-14 18:55:01)

#4 2013-06-14 22:37:01

stqn

Looks like you did not launch the Settings Editor as MountainDewManiac told you, because it’s fairly straightforward. But xfconf-query works too smile.

#5 2014-11-30 12:42:57

excalibur1234

i still use thunar 1.6.3 with xfce  4.11.

i just try to run "xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /last-details-view-fixed-columns -s true", but it exited with an error: "last-details-view-fixed-columns" property does not exist anymore.

i checked using "xfconf-query --channel thunar -l" and could not find "last-details-view-fixed-columns" anymore.

questions:
was "last-details-view-fixed-columns" removed completely or just moved somewhere else?
if it was moved, can you tell me the new name?

#6 2014-11-30 13:35:15

cmcanulty

I also am interested in this. When I get to settings/settingseditor/thunar none of the boxes I try to check actually get checked. Is there a way to select things?

#7 2014-11-30 14:10:37

ToZ
Administrator

excalibur1234 wrote:

questions:
was "last-details-view-fixed-columns" removed completely or just moved somewhere else?
if it was moved, can you tell me the new name?

The "last-details-view-fixed-columns" is still valid. If it doesn't exist, you can create it with:

xfconf-query -c thunar -p /last-details-view-fixed-columns -n -t bool -s true

...or you can use the Settings Editor gui to create it using the "New" button.

cmcanulty wrote:

I also am interested in this. When I get to settings/settingseditor/thunar none of the boxes I try to check actually get checked. Is there a way to select things?

Which boxes are you trying to check? The ones in the "Locked" column cannot be checked. AFAIK, they are there to display whether the field is locked as per kiosk mode.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2014-11-30 15:48:05

cmcanulty

every line has an empty box in the locked column

#9 2014-12-01 00:07:33

excalibur1234

thanks a lot, ToZ!

it is not as intuitive anymore as before, but it still works.
this solved my problem.

Board footer