Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-13 09:17:09

dclement

Trouble shutting down or rebooting

Hello,

My Debian install has just been upgraded and XFCE is now version 4.10. From this point, my laptop won't shut down or reboot correctly when it is docked (with lid closed). Instead, it enters standby mode. I don't have this issue when it's undocked.

Since I noticed the new power management interface in XFCE 4.10, I suspect I'm not using it correctly: what would be the correct setup, if the PC is to shut down completely even if it's in docked mode?

TIA for any advice. Best regards, Daniel

#2 2015-06-13 11:29:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Trouble shutting down or rebooting

Some questions to get some more information:

1. Exactly what version of xfce4-power-manager is installed:

xfce4-power-manager -V

2. What are your current settings:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv

3. How are you shutting down/rebooting? Are you using the option from a menu (if so, which one), from the Actions plugin, of manually?

4. Does the same happen if you manually shut down:

sudo shutdown -h now

...or if you don't have sudo installed, then as root:

shutdown -h now

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-06-13 11:59:52

dclement

Hello ToZ, thanks for helping,

ToZ wrote:

1. Exactly what version of xfce4-power-manager is installed:

daniel@m6400 ~ $ xfce4-power-manager -V

Xfce Power Manager 1.4.1

Part of the Xfce Goodies Project
http://goodies.xfce.org

Licensed under the GNU GPL

(Are you thinking of downgrading it?)

2. What are your current settings:

daniel@m6400 ~ $ xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv
/xfce4-power-manager/blank-on-ac                        10
/xfce4-power-manager/blank-on-battery                   6
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-level-on-ac             100
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-level-on-battery        100
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-on-battery              120
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-switch                  0
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-switch-restore-on-exit  1
/xfce4-power-manager/critical-power-action              4
/xfce4-power-manager/critical-power-level               5
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-enabled                       false
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-off                     15
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-sleep                   11
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-off                15
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-sleep              10
/xfce4-power-manager/inactivity-on-battery              60
/xfce4-power-manager/inactivity-sleep-mode-on-battery   1
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-ac                   3
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-battery              1
/xfce4-power-manager/lock-screen-suspend-hibernate      false
/xfce4-power-manager/power-button-action                3
/xfce4-power-manager/show-tray-icon                     0

3. How are you shutting down/rebooting? Are you using the option from a menu (if so, which one), from the Actions plugin, of manually?

I generally use the "Logout..." button from the XFCE panel, then I choose "shutdown" from  the choices. But given my current troubles, I have also used other methods:
- the command from the Whisker menu;
- pressing the power button
but they essentially lead me to the same dialog box.

4. Does the same happen if you manually shut down:

sudo shutdown -h now

Most unfortunately, yes. Even falling back to a text console (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F1) behaves unexpecdedly. I'm still experimenting various possibilities, but the only one that seems to work is powering down from the session login manager. I reach it after an (unsuccessful) attempt at logging out/shutting down (which puts me in standby mode), then "Actions... Shut down".

Then again, all this happens only when the PC is docked.

#4 2015-06-13 15:53:29

ToZ
Administrator

A few more questions:

1. You mentioned in your first post that you have the laptop docked with the lid closed. How did you configure your system to allow this?

2. Does your version of Debian use systemd?

Given that manually trying to shutdown from within Xfce (and from the tty console) results in the same behaviour, I'd lean more towards some sort of other systemic change (acpi, upower) that might be the cause, however, its confusing that it works properly from the login manager.

3. Which login manager are you using?

4. When you said that your Debian was just upgraded, what did you mean? Was it a few packages or a whole version upgrade?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-06-13 16:31:28

dclement

1. You mentioned in your first post that you have the laptop docked with the lid closed. How did you configure your system to allow this?

Well not much: IIRC in the previous version of XFCE there was an option to "do nothing" when the lid was closed, and I chose that (drawback: the lid is closed but the internal monitor remains on). Also, this system is using the Nvidia driver, and the Nvidia utility (nvidia-xconfig) did help me to detect the 2nd (docking station) monitor and set it up.

2. Does your version of Debian use systemd?

No, it's Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is now essentially the same as Debian Stable (8), but it still relies on svinit. It's one of the only noteworthy differences.

Given that manually trying to shutdown from within Xfce (and from the tty console) results in the same behaviour, I'd lean more towards some sort of other systemic change (acpi, upower) that might be the cause, however, its confusing that it works properly from the login manager.

However, I was able to achieve a temporary workaround by suppressing the xfce4-power-manager, and replacing it with mate-power-manager from Linux Mint's Mate DE. After that, I seem to be able to logout and shutdown from the GUI.

3. Which login manager are you using?

It's Linux Mint's MDM, their own clone of GDM. Looks and behaves just the same.

4. When you said that your Debian was just upgraded, what did you mean? Was it a few packages or a whole version upgrade?

The upgrade was precisely to catch up with Debian 8 Jessie, so it was a full dist-upgrade.

#6 2015-06-13 16:39:11

ToZ
Administrator

dclement wrote:

However, I was able to achieve a temporary workaround by suppressing the xfce4-power-manager, and replacing it with mate-power-manager from Linux Mint's Mate DE. After that, I seem to be able to logout and shutdown from the GUI.

Then it must be an issue with xfce4-power-manager (or its interaction with upower, acpi, etc).

You may wish to try a debugging run of xfce4-power-manager to see if it yields any relevant information. From a terminal window, first quit the running instance:

xfce4-power-manager -q

...then run it in debug mode:

xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug

Then run through the process of trying to shutdown (which should suspend the system). On resume, look at and/or post back the debug information that was displayed on the terminal window.

Also helpful might be the results of:

xfce4-power-manager --dump

#7 2015-06-13 17:01:45

dclement

You may wish to try a debugging run of xfce4-power-manager to see if it yields any relevant information.

I had to reinstall it in order to do this test. I'll have to suppress it afterwards...

[...]Then run through the process of trying to shutdown (which should suspend the system). On resume, look at and/or post back the debug information that was displayed on the terminal window.

It wouldn't let me shutdown, instead I got back to the session login, but it took ages to log in (after I typed my password). Then...

daniel@m6400 ~ $ xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug
TRACE[xfpm-main.c:192] xfpm_start(): Starting the power manager
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for general-notification
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for show-brightness-popup
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for handle-brightness-keys
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for hibernate-button-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for sleep-button-action
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-slider-min-level
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for dpms-sleep-mode
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for inactivity-sleep-mode-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for brightness-on-ac
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for network-manager-sleep
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-power-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-suspend-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-hibernate-key
TRACE[xfpm-xfconf.c:164] xfpm_xfconf_load(): Using default configuration for logind-handle-lid-switch
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:314] xfpm_polkit_init_data(): Using unix session polkit subject
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:406] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.power-off is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:406] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.reboot is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:406] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:406] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:875] xfpm_power_get_power_devices(): Power device detected at : /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:833] xfpm_power_add_device(): 'line-power' device added
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:875] xfpm_power_get_power_devices(): Power device detected at : /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:833] xfpm_power_add_device(): 'battery' device added
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:843] xfpm_power_add_device(): Battery device type 'battery' detected at: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 124 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_POWER_OFF)

(xfce4-power-manager:7367): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 213 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_HIBERNATE)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 150 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_SLEEP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 233 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 232 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 244 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_BATTERY)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 238 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-button.c:183] xfpm_button_xevent_key(): Grabbed key 237 : ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_KBD_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
TRACE[xfpm-battery.c:189] xfpm_battery_refresh_icon(): Battery state 4
TRACE[xfpm-battery.c:240] xfpm_battery_refresh_icon(): Battery icon xfpm-primary-charged
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:406] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-polkit.c:406] xfpm_polkit_check_auth_intern(): Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate is authorized=FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1366] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 10
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:553] xfpm_manager_inhibit_sleep_systemd(): Inhibiting systemd sleep: handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-switch

... What are these "authorized=FALSE" about several actions? It looks odd to me.

Also helpful might be the results of:

xfce4-power-manager --dump

This one's not been very informative: because I didn't wait long enough!

daniel@m6400 ~ $ xfce4-power-manager --dump

(xfce4-power-manager:7400): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

(xfce4-power-manager:7400): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit systemd sleep: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (xfce4-power-manager:7400): WARNING **: could not get output property
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.

(xfce4-power-manager:7400): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to set the kernel brightness switch parameter to 0.

(xfce4-power-manager:7400): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Failed to get keyboard max brightness level : Method "GetMaxBrightness" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.UPower.KbdBacklight" doesn't exist

---------------------------------------------------
       Xfce power manager version 1.4.1
Avec le support de policykit
Avec support du gestionnaire du réseau
Peut se mettre en veille: Faux
Peut se mettre en veille prolongée: Faux
Autorisé à se mettre en veille: Faux
Autorisé à se mettre en veille prolongée: Faux
Autorisé à se mettre hors tension: Faux
A une batterie: Vrai
A un panneau de luminosité: Vrai
A un bouton de mise en marche: Vrai
A un bouton de mise en veille prolongée: Vrai
A un bouton de mise en veille: Vrai
A un couvercle: Vrai

Last edited by dclement (2015-06-13 17:05:58)

#8 2015-06-13 17:14:29

MountainDewManiac

My comments may not be helpful (probably aren't). Still...

dclement wrote:

IIRC in the previous version of XFCE there was an option to "do nothing" when the lid was closed, and I chose that (drawback: the lid is closed but the internal monitor remains on).

Interesting. I also use that option - however, when I close my laptop, I can see the screen go out when it's almost shut (open edge maybe ½-inch from closed).

dclement wrote:
ToZ wrote:

]2. Does your version of Debian use systemd?

No, it's Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is now essentially the same as Debian Stable (8)

Interesting again. I've often thought that Debian Stable was n-years behind current - and this opinion would appear to be borne out by the fact that you've only got Xfce 4.10 when its current "stable" version is 4.12 - but you have version 1.4.1 of xfce4-power-manager. I thought to myself, "Well, that must be an older version, then," and proceeded to check my version... This partition has Xfce 4.10 (Linux Mint "main edition," Xfce version) that I've been lazy and haven't upgraded (it was originally my "fallback" in case my LM17.1 Xfce with 4.12 PPA (and additional PPAs) managed to pooch itself, but that one has been rock-solid stable for me, so it must be laziness at this point :wink: ), but I figured my xfce4-power-manager would be at least as new a version as yours. Imagine my surprise(/chagrin) when I discovered that mine is only version 1.2.0, lol. I'll have to boot into my Mint 17.1 partition and see which version it uses. [EDIT: Could it be that version 1.4.1 of xfce4-power-manager is not fully compatible with Xfce 4.10, and that either switching to version 1.2.0 OR upgrading Xfce to 4.12 would erase such an incompatibility?EDIT #3: Removed rant in previous edit]

dclement wrote:

it's Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is now essentially the same as Debian Stable (8), but it still relies on svinit.

According to some of the comments I've read on the Mint blog, it's possible to use systemd. For example, see comment #16 on this webpage:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2764#comments

And there are other comments with "systemd" in them both on that page and on others (I found them via that blog's search function). IDK if the use of systemd would have any bearing on your issue, but wanted to mention that it can be used.

I asked this question before in a thread (either here or on Mint's forum) in which the OP was having trouble shutting down and his response was negative, so I expect the same here, but: If you configure your power button to shut down your computer when you tap it, does it so function?

dclement wrote:
ToZ wrote:

The upgrade was precisely to catch up with Debian 8 Jessie, so it was a full dist-upgrade.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure that I read (paraphrased) "When upgrading, please be sure to use one of the supported - MATE or Cinnamon - versions of LMDE to upgrade from." Is (was?) yours one of those to, to which you have added Xfce? Or is it an updated version of the last official LMDE which had an Xfce version (which was several years ago, IIRC)? I'm wondering if there might be a conflict somewhere?

I'll back out now, after asking one last question: Have you asked in the LMDE area (at the Mint forum) if anyone else - who uses Xfce with LMDE, of course - has upgraded and is experiencing the same issue? I assume that someone still uses Xfce with LMDE even though there is no longer an "officially supported prepackaged version," and it might be beneficial for troubleshooting purposes to learn whether this is only happening on your computer or if it's a general thing. It might also be helpful if you could ascertain whether, if it is happening to others, if it is only happening to those who've upgraded or if it's also happening to those who've done clean installs and then added the Xfce DE afterwards.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-06-15 08:34:50)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#9 2015-06-13 17:15:35

ToZ
Administrator

It appears that you do not have authorization to shutdown.

Is your system currently docked when you run this?
If so, can you undock and run the same "xfce4-power-manager --dump" command?

... What are these "authorized=FALSE" about several actions? It looks odd to me.

Looks like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1319598

#10 2015-06-13 17:35:41

dclement

MDM wrote:

Could it be that version 1.4.1 of xfce4-power-manager is not fully compatible with Xfce 4.10, and that either switching to version 1.2.0 OR upgrading Xfce to 4.12 would erase such an incompatibility?

Maybe. I remember I pulled the latest Thunar from Sid in order to get rid of a nasty bug. It could be that it pulled something else.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure that I read (paraphrased) "When upgrading, please be sure to use one of the supported - MATE or Cinnamon - versions of LMDE to upgrade from." Is (was?) yours one of those to, to which you have added Xfce? Or is it an updated version of the last official LMDE which had an Xfce version (which was several years ago, IIRC)?

The latter, but I did try my best to put it on a par with a recent system (in particular, installing Mate DE).

Have you asked in the LMDE area (at the Mint forum) if anyone else - who uses Xfce with LMDE, of course - has upgraded and is experiencing the same issue?

I did ask, but XFCE fans are no longer so numerous over there sad

ToZ wrote:

Is your system currently docked when you run this?
If so, can you undock and run the same "xfce4-power-manager --dump" command?

Yes it was docked. Here the output undocked:

daniel@m6400 ~ $ xfce4-power-manager --dump
       Xfce power manager version 1.4.1
Avec le support de policykit
Avec support du gestionnaire du réseau
Peut se mettre en veille: Vrai
Peut se mettre en veille prolongée: Vrai
Autorisé à se mettre en veille: Vrai
Autorisé à se mettre en veille prolongée: Vrai
Autorisé à se mettre hors tension: Vrai
A une batterie: Vrai
A un panneau de luminosité: Vrai
A un bouton de mise en marche: Vrai
A un bouton de mise en veille prolongée: Vrai
A un bouton de mise en veille: Vrai
A un couvercle: Vrai

Shutdown is authorized! I'll have a look at the link you indicated.

#11 2015-06-15 08:43:11

MountainDewManiac

Just wanted to mention:

I RANTed in a previous post about the fact that the About function had been removed from the right-click menu of the power manager (panel applet).

I then decided to stop griping and do something constructive, so I posted my very first bug report at bugzilla.xfce.org. Only ~26 hours later, this was posted onto that bug report:

Eric Koegel wrote:

Sure thing. Thanks for pointing it out. Pushed two fixes to master:
commit cf6b25d4d26575a33a3fe14d6812f3526294b63c
Author: Eric Koegel <eric.koegel@gmail.com>
Date:   Sun Jun 14 22:34:47 2015 +0300

Bring back the about dialog (Bug #11982)

This brings back the about dialog for the panel plugin and updates
    it for the newer stuff required by GTK3.
http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-ma … 526294b63c

commit 163dc3e3dae710e6a5fc87dc0119597abc685106
Author: Simon Steinbeiss <simon.steinbeiss@elfenbeinturm.at>
Date:   Sun Jun 14 21:37:03 2015 +0200

Make the settings-app icon 256px for the about dialog
http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-ma … 7abc685106

Since I ranted here about it, I wanted to post the above here - and to say thank you, Eric! Now that's prompt service, lol.

Err... We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread wink .

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#12 2015-06-15 14:32:49

dclement

Hmm... I do not have such a file as

/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy/org.freedesktop.upower.policy

though I do have upower installed, even after removing xfce4-power-manager.

However, I noticed that my version (1.4.1) of xfce4-power-manager available in Stable is older than the one (1.4.4) now in Testing.

OTTH, if I look at the XFCE 4.12 changelog, I hardly see anything about rights when shutting down or logging out.

I'll try and pull the full XFCE 4.12 from Testing when I have time, hopefully that fixes the problem.

#13 2015-06-16 07:10:16

dclement

Wait a minute! I do have /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.xfce.session.policy, of which here is an excerpt:

<action id="org.xfce.session.xfsm-shutdown-helper">

<description>Shutdown, restart, suspend, or hibernate the system</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to shutdown, restart, suspend, or hibernate the system.</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>

Shouldn't it be "yes" instead of "auth_admin"?

#14 2015-06-16 16:12:45

ToZ
Administrator

I have the same file with the same contents.

Something is changing your permissions when you dock. I don't think its anything from within Xfce. Unfortunately, I also don't know what is doing it.

Maybe its worth booting with the live cd to see if you can replicate the problem there?

#15 2015-06-16 16:47:09

dclement

ToZ wrote:

[...]Something is changing your permissions when you dock. I don't think its anything from within Xfce.[...]

I'm not quite so sure of it either, because the workaround I thought I'd found (uninstalling xfce-power-manager) turns out be incomplete.

Since my last post I installed XFCE 4.12, but without xfce-power-manager v. 1.4.4 which I have yet to test. That's what I observed:
* shutdown --> good
* reboot     --> good
* logout     --> NOT good. It works once, then the new login seems to take an age and I end up in the very same state as in my OP, that is, where nothing is allowed.

Maybe its worth booting with the live cd to see if you can replicate the problem there?

I think I have a SolydX live USB somewhere. That should do for the test. But if I'm to run the test while docked, I'll have to get my hands on a wired keyboard first, not the Bluetooth one that I'm using right now. Let me first try and see if the newer xfce-power-manager improves something.

#16 2015-06-17 12:08:41

dclement

Well as a small update,
- xfce-power-manager v. 1.4.4. does no better than its predecessor: it also forbids me to shutdown or reboot. But I can never logout correctly, so my issue is not purely with this package (or perhaps even XFCE).
- I had a look at files under /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ but I found nothing quite conclusive.
I must try and start an older kernel, just to see if it matters.

#17 2015-06-23 14:06:53

dclement

Still investigating:
- it's not a per-kernel issue;
- the removal of an obsolete, policykit-related library from another DE has slightly improved things, but not quite solved the problem. The PC still can't shutdown when xfce4-power-manager is installed (goes into standby instead).

#18 2015-06-25 15:39:29

dclement

Hi, I'm running out of ideas here. There was indeed an old polkit-related library, which I removed. When I install xfce4-power-manager, something --maybe not the package itself-- still prevents me from logging out, rebooting or shutting down :-(

So I can't take advantage of the latest Xfce4 power manager, yet I like it because it's smart enough to switch off the laptop's builtin screen (closed when docked) while retaining the external monitor on.

Last edited by dclement (2015-06-25 15:53:03)

#19 2015-06-25 19:02:36

ToZ
Administrator

Perhaps if you created a bug report you would get the attention of the developer who might be able to assist.

#20 2015-06-26 08:59:17

dclement

ToZ wrote:

Perhaps if you created a bug report you would get the attention of the developer who might be able to assist.

I'll do that, though I'm not quite convinced that xfce4-power-manager is the only culprit. However, since it works better without, let me file that bug report, and put this at rest for the time being.

Thanks for your support, ToZ.

#21 2015-06-26 09:25:31

dclement

Done: bug 12019

#22 2015-07-19 21:26:27

kdre

I just saw your posting and feel to reply because I am also having trouble with shutting down & reboot. I observed this problem with Xubuntu and Manjaro Linux on a Thinkpad T520 with Nvidia/Intel Optimus.

My observation is as follows:

Undocked & Intel & Notebook display only: no problems, e.g. shutdown, restart etc. worked.
Undocked & Nvidia & Notebook display only: no problem.
Undocked & Nouveau & Notebook display only: no problems.

(Docked & Intel & External monitor: could not test, because I didn't get Optimus to run, which is needed because DVI is hard-wired to nvidia.)
Docked & Nouveau & External monitor only: no problems.
Docked & Nvidia & External monitor only: shutdown, reboot brings me to the login screen. 'shutdown now' or 'poweroff' works, but the next power on hangs somehow. Have to turn off & on again, then it works.

In my case I could narrow it down to the proprietary nvidia driver. In Xubuntu I tried version 304 (default) and the latest 352 driver. In Manjaro only 352.21.
So for me only the Nouveau driver works in every case. However, I am not satisfied because I would like to use the proprietary driver (maybe together with Intel and Bumblebee).

@all:
Any idea why the nvidia driver prevents a proper shutdown/reboot?

@dclement:
Do you have a discrete gpu in your notebook?

Best wishes,
Klaus

My system:

System:    Host: T520 Kernel: 3.18.18-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.1.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.28)
           Distro: ManjaroLinux 0.8.13.1 Ascella
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 42406AG v: ThinkPad T520
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 42406AG
           Bios: LENOVO v: 8AET64WW (1.44 ) date: 07/26/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9971
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 803 MHz 2: 807 MHz 3: 807 MHz
           4: 897 MHz

Nouveau driver:
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119M [Quadro NVS 4200M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 driver: nouveau
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVD9
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.6.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

Nvidia driver:
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119M [Quadro NVS 4200M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: NVS 4200M/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.21 Direct Rendering: Yes

Last edited by kdre (2015-07-19 22:48:33)

#23 2015-07-19 22:14:17

MountainDewManiac

kdre wrote:

My observation is as follows:

Might have been useful for you to have also posted which nVidia driver you were experiencing issues with, and whether or not you tried newer (or, perhaps, even older) versions.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#24 2015-07-19 22:29:18

kdre

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Might have been useful for you to have also posted which nVidia driver you were experiencing issues with, and whether or not you tried newer (or, perhaps, even older) versions.

In Xubuntu I tested 304 and 352. In Manjaro only 352.21.

Last edited by kdre (2015-07-19 22:47:06)

#25 2015-07-28 08:49:35

dclement

Sorry for replying late, I was away for 2 weeks. Thank you all for the input.

kdre wrote:

[...]Docked & Nvidia & External monitor only: shutdown, reboot brings me to the login screen.[...]

Same thing here, except that I'm not able to have the builtin monitor switched off while the external one is on. I assume you do that with xfce4-power-manager, which I have uninstalled because of these issues I'm having.

[...] 'shutdown now' or 'poweroff' works, but the next power on hangs somehow. Have to turn off & on again, then it works.[...]

I my case it's the next login that takes ages after a logout.

[...] In my case I could narrow it down to the proprietary nvidia driver. In Xubuntu I tried version 304 (default) and the latest 352 driver. In Manjaro only 352.21.
So for me only the Nouveau driver works in every case. However, I am not satisfied because I would like to use the proprietary driver (maybe together with Intel and Bumblebee). [...]

That's a surprise for me. I thought the newer kernel was involved. I had a major system upgrade (Debian 8). Since
1) I use Nvidia proprietary driver;
2) I rely on smxi for installing it;
3) My driver is legacy and the older version was no longer available for download,
I was more or less forced to install the newer driver (340.76 in my case) at the same time I upgraded.
But I never would have suspected that it would stand in the way of shutting down/rebooting.

[...]Do you have a discrete gpu in your notebook?[...]

Since I don't know what it means, I guess I don't have one :-). My graphics card is a good but aging Quadro FX2700M.

Board footer