Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-24 11:43:31

numzob

xfce theme refresh problem

I was working on a new gtk2 theme in xfce and I eventually noticed that when I refreshed[1], my changes were not showing. I then noticed that if I switched to themes with obviously different color schemes, they were not taking effect.

It is as if one switches more than a certain number of times, then switching stops working. Exiting x-windows and restarting it fixes this, as does rebooting.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thank you in advance.

p.s. I recently switched distros. Reinstalled everything. This seems to coincide with the start of this problem?

--
[1] I "refresh" by switching to some other existing theme and then back to the one I am working on.  Is there a better way to do this?

#2 2015-08-24 15:48:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce theme refresh problem

When the theme updating stops, have a look to see if xfsettingsd is still running - it needs to be. If it is crashing, look at your logs to see why.

You can also try running xfsettingsd in no-daemon mode so you can see warning/error messages as you are editing the theme. In a terminal window, run:

xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon

[1] I "refresh" by switching to some other existing theme and then back to the one I am working on.  Is there a better way to do this?

This is the way that I do it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-08-24 20:13:53

MountainDewManiac

numzob wrote:

I know ToZ replied that he used the same method, so I have a feeling that I'm offering an incorrect answer after the correct one has already been given ( roll ), but I'd think that logging out and back in would be the best way to "refresh" something; I wouldn't think that there'd be much chance of something remaining "unrefreshed" after doing so.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2015-08-24 22:03:34

numzob

@ToZ: So I tried that command, as recommended:

$ xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon

(xfsettingsd:18431): xfsettingsd-ERROR **: Failed to connect to the dbus session bus.
Trace/breakpoint trap
$

Tried it as root:

# xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon

(xfsettingsd:18436): GLib-WARNING **: (gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

That worked but it shifted all the xfce styles (gtk, xfwm, icons) to some other theme.  That confused me for a moment until I remembered that each user can have its own theme.  From then on my theme switches were ignored.  Non-root desktop with root process.  No way to test.

#5 2015-08-25 00:32:18

ToZ
Administrator

You're not supposed to run xfsettingsd as root - its meant to be run as a user process. Running it as root would only affect root's configuration (which is probably what is happening).

The dbus error message is more concerning. Try clearing out the sessions cache and logging out and back in again. You should be able to restart xfsettingsd and make the proper dbus connection.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2015-08-26 02:55:58

numzob

So after a reboot, I tried the "xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon" command again. That time it worked. Go figure. No errors in the output.  All right. So I started switching between gtk2 themes, as before. Switching.  Switching.  Switch switch.

Switch.

Switch.

You can probably guess what happened next. tongue

Wait for it ...

The problem is not happening. Arg. I will apparently have to wait until the problem decides to manifest again.

Last edited by numzob (2015-08-26 02:56:55)

Board footer