Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-13 23:10:59

johnfound
Website

Programmatically setting _NET_WM_STATE values

I also would like to know the answer of this question.

I have the same problem with _NET_WM_STATE property values. Even the mentioned "_NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR" works, but after minimizing, it disappears from the properties and the window get back to the taskbar.

Is it a feature or bug?

#2 2015-10-14 01:17:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Programmatically setting _NET_WM_STATE values

Split from https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=3749 - that was a really old thread. Continuing here.

Have you tried either wmctrl or devilspie? See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6755

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-10-14 13:48:43

johnfound
Website

Generally, I am trying to use these windows properties in my own programs, calling XChangeProperty function. The use of xprop utility is only as a diagnosing and testing, after I noticed that _NET_WM_STATE property can't be set in usual way.

The code is in assembly language, but is pretty straightforward and probably is OK. At least setting other than _NET_WM_STATE properties goes normally. So, I concluded that the _NET_WM_STATE property is also written properly, but shortly after that some other program overwrites its value. The best overwriter candidate (IMHO) is the window manager of XFCE.

I am not very sure how other WM behaves and can't test it just now.

#4 2015-10-14 13:56:35

ToZ
Administrator

In case you don't get anymore replies here, you might consider posting to the xfce4-dev mailing list or possibly creating a "[Question]" bug report on the bug tracker. The xfwm4 developer seems more active there than on these forums.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer