Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-02 16:33:33

sonycdr

Touchscreen and gestures (e.g. pinch-to-zoom) ?

Hey there, I am running Arch with XFCE and my touchscreen "worked" outof-the-box. That means simple tasks worked but gestures like "pinch to zoom" aren't working.

I also had no luck with touchegg.

Is there any chance to get gestures to work on xfce, easpecially pinch to zoom (with 2 fingers) or scrolling ?

Thanks !

Last edited by sonycdr (2015-10-02 16:37:01)

#2 2015-10-12 14:18:24

sonycdr

Re: Touchscreen and gestures (e.g. pinch-to-zoom) ?

No one? hmm

#3 2015-10-12 14:44:25

ToZ
Administrator

TBH, I've never seen anything posted before about pinch to zoom on Xfce before. Did a quick search and also came across touchegg. What exactly didn't work for you?

As for 2 finger scrolling, if I go to Settings Manager > Mouse and Touchpad > Device=(select Touchpad) > Touchpad tab, and set Scrolling Mode = "Two-finger scolling", it works for me.
scroll4.png

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2015-10-12 15:28:50

sixsixfive
Website

depends on your synaprics touchpad configuration, on debian its enabled by default you just need to press CTRL at the same time

#5 2015-10-12 18:23:43

sonycdr

sixsixfive wrote:

depends on your synaprics touchpad configuration, on debian its enabled by default you just need to press CTRL at the same time

Mkay thanks, I will give it a try. I would prefer to do it without CTRL altough.

ToZ wrote:

TBH, I've never seen anything posted before about pinch to zoom on Xfce before. Did a quick search and also came across touchegg. What exactly didn't work for you?

As for 2 finger scrolling, if I go to Settings Manager > Mouse and Touchpad > Device=(select Touchpad) > Touchpad tab, and set Scrolling Mode = "Two-finger scolling", it works for me.
http://en.zimagez.com/miniature/scroll4.png

Touchegg seems to be very buggy, for a lot of people. High CPU usage, unstable and also 2 finger geastures dont work for many people (e.g. pinch-to-zoom, rotation,...). Also Touchegg is not under development anymore, last update was 3 years ago.

I will check if scrolling works with "two finger scrolling" altough I would prefer 1-finger-scrolling on my touchscreen (not touchpad).

An alternative to touchegg is xswipe but also that seems to be a dead project with my flaws.

Seeing the increasing of ppl with touchscreen laptops, I think and wished that XFCE would offer a little bit support for it out-of-the-box or with a plugin which is part of the xfce-goodies smile
I also have to say that once I started using the touchscreen on windows and learned about its capabilities (e.g. pinch-to-zoom which is extermely usefull on HiDPI displays where apps might not support the scaling very well) it's hard to live without it. Basically you could use the touchscreen just like your smartphones touchscreen and completely forget about the touchpad.

Thanks for your reply !

Last edited by sonycdr (2015-10-12 18:38:01)

#6 2015-10-12 22:16:21

MountainDewManiac

Respectfully, you might be ahead to use something that was designed by folks who appear to be developing with an eye towards touch-screen devices, such as Ubuntu or (I hate to type it) Microsoft Windows, lol.

Seriously, I have seen this:
http://www.ubuntu.com/phone
...and they don't use Xfce.

Failing that - and I like and use Xfce, also (although NOT on a touchscreen device) - have you considered the fact that the Xfce development team is small and - likely as not - not well-financed? IMHO, it is reasonable to believe that they develop software for the hardware that they know and have access to, and NOT for hardware that they do not know, nor even have a means for testing said software on in-house. I wouldn't suggest that you do this on a whim, without contacting the development team beforehand, but maybe you could donate enough money for them to purchase at least one of those devices for which you'd like to see development occur? Or, since some people hate being given money with strings attached ("You can have this money, but... You cannot spend it on the things that you feel are most important, only what I want..."), perhaps an offer to send them one (or more) of those touchscreen laptops would be more appropriate? In a perfect world, you'd send them products from several different brands/manufacturers for better compatibility of this as yet theoretical future development, in case not all manufacturers/brands follow the same standards. But that might be "a little" much to expect from one person who just wants to convince a DE development team to modify their work so that it functions the way he wants it to, on his chosen device (but that would be a question for the development team, I suppose...). In truth, since opening the way for them to develop on more devices is unlikely to cause them to stop wanting to develop on the devices that they currently do, you'd probably need to arrange for the donation of suitable development labor, as well. Methinks that it didn't take years to go from Xfce 4.10 to Xfce 4.12 because they just didn't feel like updating their product, lol - but, instead, because they didn't have sufficient time to spend on it (what with eating/sleeping/family and paid work they had to do in order to keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies).

Good luck!

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2015-10-13 13:26:44

sonycdr

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Respectfully, you might be ahead to use something that was designed by folks who appear to be developing with an eye towards touch-screen devices, such as Ubuntu or (I hate to type it) Microsoft Windows, lol.

Seriously, I have seen this:
http://www.ubuntu.com/phone
...and they don't use Xfce.

Failing that - and I like and use Xfce, also (although NOT on a touchscreen device) - have you considered the fact that the Xfce development team is small and - likely as not - not well-financed? IMHO, it is reasonable to believe that they develop software for the hardware that they know and have access to, and NOT for hardware that they do not know, nor even have a means for testing said software on in-house. I wouldn't suggest that you do this on a whim, without contacting the development team beforehand, but maybe you could donate enough money for them to purchase at least one of those devices for which you'd like to see development occur? Or, since some people hate being given money with strings attached ("You can have this money, but... You cannot spend it on the things that you feel are most important, only what I want..."), perhaps an offer to send them one (or more) of those touchscreen laptops would be more appropriate? In a perfect world, you'd send them products from several different brands/manufacturers for better compatibility of this as yet theoretical future development, in case not all manufacturers/brands follow the same standards. But that might be "a little" much to expect from one person who just wants to convince a DE development team to modify their work so that it functions the way he wants it to, on his chosen device (but that would be a question for the development team, I suppose...). In truth, since opening the way for them to develop on more devices is unlikely to cause them to stop wanting to develop on the devices that they currently do, you'd probably need to arrange for the donation of suitable development labor, as well. Methinks that it didn't take years to go from Xfce 4.10 to Xfce 4.12 because they just didn't feel like updating their product, lol - but, instead, because they didn't have sufficient time to spend on it (what with eating/sleeping/family and paid work they had to do in order to keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies).

Good luck!

Regards,
MDM

That is why I am here to ask / give the suggestion for support on touchscreen devices.

I love XFCE and want to keep using it. It is perfect for me in many aspects. But there is one thing bugging me a lot.. and this is the missing touchscreen support (especially the two features which are pinch-to-zoom and scrolling).

And since not many or maybe no one yet has posted anything about touchscreen support on XFCE, I thougt I would bring that topic up.

#8 2015-10-13 18:28:19

MountainDewManiac

It would be nice. I have no use for it (at this time) - but I've seen threads created by people who wanted to put some distro or other onto tablets. Tablets don't have keyboards and mice.

<SHRUGS> I believe it is simply a case of limited resources... And the need, therefore, to prioritize. Coupled with - as I suspect and mentioned previously - a lack of suitable hardware to develop/test on. I wasn't suggesting the donation of such hardware to be a smart-***, BtW. One failing of FOSS is that many people (including, sadly, me) use it without ever paying for the privilege. This carries with it the "double-whammy" of not just the developers, themselves, not collecting a regular paycheck (or, at least, not nearly as regular - or as much of one - as they deserve), but also the fact that, when new hardware is produced, there's no one walking through the building passing out samples of it (with technical manuals) and saying, "Use and learn this, because next week you're scheduled to start adding its features to your project."

I used to think spending $99 on an OS was highway robbery. Then one day I thought about it from a different light, and decided that a computer with no OS was about as functional as an OS with no computer, lol - so maybe an OS is "worth" roughly the same amount that a basic computer hardware setup is. These days I consider it a good day if I can put anything aside to help my mother purchase groceries and pay her electric (et cetera) bills for the month. I consider it a great day if I can eat something, myself. A fabulous day? I get one of those occasionally - on which I am able to help feed someone who is not my mother or myself. So the likelihood of being able to donate $499, $99... or even $10 to the developers of my distro-/DE-of-choice on any given day is small. This saddens me.

So much so that I wouldn't even be slightly annoyed if, when I (and everyone else) installed the next distro, a little box popped up showing the (true) cost of the two commercial OS and telling the user to examine, explore, use, and customize it to their heart's content and that, while {product} was given to them, another window would appear in 30 days to once again remind them how much "brand-X" would cost - and requesting that they make a donation if they feel that the software they are using is in some way comparable in function to those commercial OS and if they can actually afford to. I wouldn't consider that a "nag." It could have a couple of additional boxes that the user could choose (or not) to open... One titled "Why it is important to pay for free software." and the other titled "Why we do not force you to pay for it."

I also think that when the developer of a distro receives any donations from users of that distro, he/she should be honor-bound to then donate a portion of that money to the developer of whatever DE he/she used in his/her distro. I use Mint Xfce (Mint has four "flavors" based on Ubuntu (Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, and KDE) and two based on Debian (Cinnamon and MATE)). I could, I suppose, use a different distro if there was a need - but I would be quite put out if I could not use Xfce.

I think these things, but what I KNOW is that I have digressed quite a bit and rambled badly. So I will tender a mild apology, lol, and end this by offering my

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#9 2015-10-13 18:46:30

sonycdr

Well regarding donations and support I forgot to say:

I would rather donate 100$ to XFCE instead of buying windows for 100$. And I am definitely willing to spend/donate some money once I have settled with something (software, OS,.. XFCE) to further support & improve it.

Anyway, this is quite off topic? ;P

#10 2015-10-14 13:32:38

sonycdr

ToZ wrote:

http://en.zimagez.com/miniature/scroll4.png

On my touchscreen the "touchpad" tab is missing. So I can't enable two-finger scrolling on the touchscreen.
On my touchpad, the touchpad tab is present.

#11 2015-10-14 14:21:34

ToZ
Administrator

sonycdr wrote:

On my touchscreen the "touchpad" tab is missing. So I can't enable two-finger scrolling on the touchscreen.

Which input driver are you using:

grep "Using input " /var/log/Xorg.0.log

...or:

grep "Using input " ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

(depending on the location of your Xorg log file).

I remember a while back when xf86-input-libinput came out it caused me problems so I went back to xf86-input-synaptics:

$ cat Xorg.0.log | grep "Using input"
[   182.902] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'

...I wonder if you're using the libinput driver.

This has some information in the answer that you may find interesting.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#12 2015-10-15 11:45:34

sonycdr

ToZ wrote:
sonycdr wrote:

Which input driver are you using:

...or:

grep "Using input " ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

(depending on the location of your Xorg log file).

I remember a while back when xf86-input-libinput came out it caused me problems so I went back to xf86-input-synaptics:

$ cat Xorg.0.log | grep "Using input"
[   182.902] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'

...I wonder if you're using the libinput driver.

This has some information in the answer that you may find interesting.

user@_____:~$ grep "Using input " /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[     2.902] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[     2.918] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[     2.919] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[     2.919] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[     2.921] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[     2.922] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Dell WMI hotkeys'
[     2.923] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'DELL Wireless hotkeys'
[     3.980] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
[     4.639] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Integrated_Webcam_HD'
[     4.705] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'SYNAPTICS Synaptics Large Touch Screen'
[     4.757] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Razer DeathAdder'
user@_____:~$ grep "Using input " ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
[    77.730] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[    77.744] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[    77.745] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[    77.746] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[    77.748] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Integrated_Webcam_HD'
[    77.983] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Razer DeathAdder'
[    78.116] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'SYNAPTICS Synaptics Large Touch Screen'
[    78.118] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[    78.119] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
[    78.154] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Dell WMI hotkeys'
[    78.155] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'DELL Wireless hotkeys'

So the touchpad uses "synaptics" and the touchscreen uses "evdev" ?

pacaur -Ss xf86-input:

extra/xf86-input-acecad 1.5.0-8
    X.Org acecad tablet input driver
extra/xf86-input-aiptek 1.4.1-8
    X.Org Aiptek USB Digital Tablet input driver
extra/xf86-input-elographics 1.4.1-5
    X.org Elographics TouchScreen input driver
extra/xf86-input-evdev 2.9.2-1 (xorg-drivers xorg) [installed]
    X.org evdev input driver
extra/xf86-input-joystick 1.6.2-5 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.Org Joystick input driver
extra/xf86-input-keyboard 1.8.1-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.Org keyboard input driver
extra/xf86-input-libinput 0.14.0-3 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    Generic input driver for the X.Org server based on libinput
extra/xf86-input-mouse 1.9.1-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org mouse input driver
extra/xf86-input-synaptics 1.8.2-2 (xorg-drivers xorg) [installed]
    Synaptics driver for notebook touchpads
extra/xf86-input-vmmouse 13.1.0-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org VMWare Mouse input driver
extra/xf86-input-void 1.4.1-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org void input driver
extra/xf86-input-wacom 0.31.0-1
    X.Org Wacom tablet driver
aur/xf86-input-wizardpen 0.8.1-4 (2, 1.43)
    A Linux/HAL/udev/X11 driver for most non-Wacom graphics pads
aur/xf86-input-synaptics-xswipe-git r1464.8cc57ce-1 (7, 0.96)
    Synaptics driver for notebook touchpads - Forked branch with -m flag forward
    ported and 4/5 finger detectable
aur/xf86-input-evdev-git 2.9.1.6.r644.gb370ccd-1 (8, 0.93)
    X.org evdev input driver - Git version
aur/xf86-input-cmt 2.0.5-1 (2, 0.60)
    Chromium OS multitouch input driver for Xorg X server
aur/xf86-input-mtrack 0.3.1-1 (6, 0.58)
    An Xorg driver for multitouch trackpads and clickpads
aur/xf86-input-evdev-debounce 2.9.2-1 (4, 0.42)
    X.org evdev input driver with DebounceDelay setting, it can save your
    mouse's broken left button from double clicking hell.
aur/xf86-input-mtrack-git 0.3.1.r1.g56f9831-1 (20, 0.11)
    A multitouch X driver using the kernel MT protocol
aur/xf86-input-synaptics-gesturesonly 1.8.2-1 (1, 0.08)
aur/xf86-input-synaptics-git 1.8.0.r25.gfc9f490-1 (9, 0.01)
aur/xf86-input-evdev1.12 2.9.2-2 (1, 0.00)
    X.org evdev input driver
aur/xf86-input-cmt-setup 1-1 (0, 0.00)
    A script to install the correct device specific conf files for the
    xf86-input-cmt driver
aur/xf86-input-evdev-ahm 2.9.2-2 (2, 0.00)
    X.org evdev input driver + at-home-modifier patch
aur/xf86-input-libinput-git 0.11.0.r0.g449b496-1 (0, 0.00)
    Generic input driver for the X.Org server based on libinput. Git version
aur/xf86-input-synaptics-led 1.7.1-4 (0, 0.00)
    Synaptics driver for notebook touchpads (with LED disable support)
aur/xf86-input-xwiimote-git 0.5.r0.gbb1528d-1 (0, 0.00)
    X.Org Nintendo Wii Remote input driver

extra/xf86-input-evdev 2.9.2-1 (xorg-drivers xorg) [installed]
extra/xf86-input-synaptics 1.8.2-2 (xorg-drivers xorg) [installed]

#13 2015-10-15 12:58:39

ToZ
Administrator

I don't have a touchscreen to test with so I may be waving in the wind here, but does a config like:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchscreen catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
EndSection

...help to set synaptics as the touchscreen driver?

I notice that the default /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf file sets evdev as the driver:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

(Maybe also try with 'Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"' to match what is in the default file).

#14 2015-10-15 13:08:05

sonycdr

ToZ wrote:

I don't have a touchscreen to test with so I may be waving in the wind here, but does a config like:

Section "InputClass"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
EndSection

...help to set synaptics as the touchscreen driver?

I notice that the default /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf file sets evdev as the driver:

Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

(Maybe also try with 'Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"' to match what is in the default file).

I have tried and edited /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf:

# Catch-all evdev loader for udev-based systems
# We don't simply match on any device since that also adds accelerometers
# and other devices that we don't really want to use. The list below
# matches everything but joysticks.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "synaptics"
EndSection

Now the touchscreen isn't working anymore and also not listed in the "mouse and touchpad settings.
How ever, here it is listed (with synaptics drivers now):

[     3.364] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[     3.384] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[     3.384] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[     3.385] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[     3.386] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[     3.387] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Dell WMI hotkeys'
[     3.387] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'DELL Wireless hotkeys'
[     4.084] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
[    15.172] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Integrated_Webcam_HD'
[    15.245] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SYNAPTICS Synaptics Large Touch Screen'
[    15.367] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Razer DeathAdder'
[    78.116] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'SYNAPTICS Synaptics Large Touch Screen'
[    78.119] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'

@edit: According to the arch wiki "synaptics" is not a touchscreen driver - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchscreen

I tried installing and using the "elographics" driver but that will cause the system to freeze as soon as I touch the screen:

[     3.813] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[     3.838] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[     3.839] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
[     3.839] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[     3.841] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[     3.842] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Dell WMI hotkeys'
[     3.842] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'DELL Wireless hotkeys'
[     4.370] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
[     4.735] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Integrated_Webcam_HD'
[     4.820] (II) Using input driver 'elographics' for 'SYNAPTICS Synaptics Large Touch Screen'
[     4.977] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Razer DeathAdder'
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Driver "elographics"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "elographics"
EndSection

Or didn't I correctly enable the "elographics" driver? Ofcourse I installed it with pacman.

Last edited by sonycdr (2015-10-15 13:16:16)

#15 2015-10-15 23:16:31

ToZ
Administrator

I don't think the elographics driver is the correct one, thats why its not working. Unfortunately, I don't have a touchscreen device to be able to offer more assistance.

#16 2015-10-16 04:47:25

sonycdr

ToZ wrote:

I don't think the elographics driver is the correct one, thats why its not working. Unfortunately, I don't have a touchscreen device to be able to offer more assistance.

Alright, thanks for your help though ! hmm

Any ideas if touchscreen support might get improvements on XFCE anytime soon?

#17 2015-10-21 07:07:48

sonycdr

I just figured out that scrolling in e.g. Telegram and Okular works.
In Thunar it will "highlite" items instead of scrolling.
In Firefox/Iceweasel it does nothing.
In Ristretto when I zoom into an image, I can "scroll around" in the picture. So that works as well.

Pinch-to-zoom doesm't seem to work anywhere.

So close to working perfect ! sad

Last edited by sonycdr (2015-10-21 07:10:55)

#18 2015-10-21 14:51:07

ToZ
Administrator

This might be of some interest to you.

#19 2015-10-21 16:08:27

sonycdr

ToZ wrote:

This might be of some interest to you.

Thanks, I actually found an extension for firefox to fix scrolling.

Still, scrolling in thunar and other apps is "buggy" and pinch-to-zoom isn't working at all in any apps.

Couldn't this be implemented "easily" by looking at projects such as touchegg / xswipe ? I would love to bug-test it on my laptop and give feedback whenever possible smile

#20 2015-10-21 16:35:25

ToZ
Administrator

Couldn't this be implemented "easily" by looking at projects such as touchegg / xswipe ?

I don't know. But I think you'd need to find a developer willing to do the work. Right now the Xfce developers are focussed on the GTK3 conversion - which in itself might bring some touchscreen functionalities.

Gnome 3 seems to be more invested in touchscreen functionality. Have you tried it?

#21 2015-10-21 18:57:07

sonycdr

ToZ wrote:

Couldn't this be implemented "easily" by looking at projects such as touchegg / xswipe ?

I don't know. But I think you'd need to find a developer willing to do the work. Right now the Xfce developers are focussed on the GTK3 conversion - which in itself might bring some touchscreen functionalities.

Gnome 3 seems to be more invested in touchscreen functionality. Have you tried it?

Puh... I hoped to reach the developers here in the forum tongue Where is the best play to talk to developers ?

Yes gnome 3 seems to have more touchscreen functionality out-of-the-box but I love the simplicity of XFCE and how I can modify/build it the way I want.

#22 2015-10-21 19:15:04

ToZ
Administrator

sonycdr wrote:

Puh... I hoped to reach the developers here in the forum tongue Where is the best play to talk to developers ?

The xfce4-dev mailing list or the #xfce irc channel.

#23 2015-10-21 19:17:31

sonycdr

ToZ wrote:
sonycdr wrote:

The xfce4-dev mailing list or the #xfce irc channel.

Thank you, I have read that mailinglists on linux tend to have a kind of "harsh communication/talking" ? Is it really a good place to ask for a developer to invest his time for "my idea" ?

#24 2015-10-21 20:08:33

ToZ
Administrator

Perhaps you can ask if there has been any consideration being given or work being done on making Xfce more touchscreen-enabled and take if from there. Personally, I don't know the work effort that would be required and you might just find that it isn't a priority for the team. You really are asking someone to devote a lot of personal unpaid time to develop a functionality. Unless there is a developer who is interested in this, you may find no uptake on your suggestion.

You might also consider the Xfce Bountysource. Getting your request put up there and/or putting some money against it may generate some interest.

Keep in mind that Xfce is focused towards the more classic mouse/keyboard desktop metaphor. This would be a significant change in that focus.

Board footer