Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-17 07:50:22

Larivact

Window snapping [enhancement]

At the moment it is like that (of course only if you have window snapping enabled):
You grab a window and drag it against a screen border or screen edge: the window immediately snaps

What I like more:
If you reach the edge, a transparent preview box appears, indicating where the window will be snapped if you release it there.

I don't like how it is now; it feels unpolished. The windows are teleporting around if you drag them along a screen border.
I think this would be much more responsive. You see where it will be and you submit to it by releasing it.

Where this design pattern is already used:
-Cinnamon
-Windows 7 (referred to as Aero Snap)

What do you folks think?

#2 2015-11-14 22:54:12

Zestyr

Re: Window snapping [enhancement]

I completely agree with this. I installed XFCE today, and the snapping has been bothering me all day, including using Super+ArrowKeys to tile windows (basically doesn't work, even with keybindings).
Really hope this gets taken up, either as a package or in a future update, as it's probably one of the biggest issues I've found with XFCE.

#3 2015-11-15 23:53:56

MountainDewManiac

Larivact wrote:

What do you folks think?

To me, that seems both unnecessary and intrusive. I'm generally not in favor of the OS getting in my way.

Others may have some use for such a thing, but not everyone would. If you plan on visiting bugzilla.xfce.org to make a feature request, please ask that it be added as a user-configurable option (thanks!).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2015-11-16 17:03:33

ungutknut

I'd also like to see a snap-preview. But first I hope the unrealiable snap-to-maximize will be fixed.

Board footer