Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-17 16:45:04

Jhon987

What's your take on webkit-gtk?

Hello to everyone who reads this, I'm new to the Xfce forums and this is my first post.
Although I've been using Xfce for quite some time now, I never felt compelled to join the forums and write about something until now.

Well, here it goes:
From what I know about Xfce, it's a DE that purports to be lightweight yet visually appealing. Despite my dissatisfaction with some (lack of) parts of it, all in all I feel Xfce is doing a wonderful job at sticking to its goal.
However, there's one thing that got on my mind recently and I'd be happy to get your clarification regards it - are you planning to incorporate webkit-gtk as part of the core xfce requirements?

The reason I ask is because as a Gentoo user - webkit-gtk is one of the longest packages to compile.
Furthermore, as if that's not enough, sometimes apps may require two or more different versions of that package being installed at the same time, for instance: Midori browser requires webkit-gtk-2.8.5 while liferea (an rss reader) requires webkit-gtk-2.4.9.

I don't know, I could be wrong here but to me it seems that this package is pretty much going against what Xfce is aiming for.

BTW, if you aren't planning on incorporating webkit-gtk as core package, is there any chance it'll be decoupled from Midori?

#2 2015-11-20 12:02:09

debian
Banned

Re: What's your take on webkit-gtk?

"The reason I ask is because as a Gentoo user - webkit-gtk is one of the longest packages to compile."

Solution, use this:
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/stretch_di_alpha4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-stretch-DI-alpha4-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso
You can tune it as much with  gentoo but  much more easier and faster. I am running custom kernel 4.3.0 from kernel.org, for example.

#3 2015-11-20 12:13:55

ToZ
Administrator

@Jhon987, if you are looking for developer input, you would probably best be served by posting to the xfce4-dev mailing list. Very few and very occasionally do the developers post here in the forums.

@debian, it is obvious that you are a fan of debian, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, continually suggesting to install debian as a solution to every poster's issue is not really helpful.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2015-11-20 16:27:35

Jerry3904

+1

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2015-11-20 21:55:57

Jhon987

Oh, thanks @ToZ, I see now.
BTW I saw that thread where you posted what's new in Xfce, I think doing that is a great idea smile

@Jerry3904 Just curious, is your +1 aimed at the thread itself or ToZ?

One last thing, thanks for the advice @debian however, if I wanted to avoid the long compile time I'd probably simply look for a prebuilt binary version of that package instead of distro-hopping from my Gentoo, which I very much appreciate.

#6 2015-11-20 22:53:45

Jerry3904

@Jerry3904 Just curious, is your +1 aimed at the thread itself or ToZ?

At the idea of solving every problem posted by telling OP to install the one and only distro that is any good.

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2015-11-20 22:54:29)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#7 2015-11-21 05:42:50

MountainDewManiac

Jhon987 wrote:

sometimes apps may require two or more different versions of that package being installed at the same time, for instance: Midori browser requires webkit-gtk-2.8.5 while liferea (an rss reader) requires webkit-gtk-2.4.9.

Maybe try a different version of one or the other application? I must have different versions (of each) than you, because the version in their respective dependencies list (as listed in their properties in Synaptic Package Manager) is different - BUT they each have ">=" - which apparently means "this version or higher," because the higher version of that component that I have seems to be okay for both applications.

If you have to have the latest version of both apps, and they each have to have both different versions of the component and will only use that specific version instead of "equal or greater," then you're probably stuck.

Jhon987 wrote:

I don't know, I could be wrong here but to me it seems that this package is pretty much going against what Xfce is aiming for.

is there any chance it'll be decoupled from Midori?

Decoupled meaning that it won't have it as a dependency any more? If so, I would tend to doubt it.

http://www.twotoasts.de/?/pages/midori_summary.html

It looks like the same developer does both the WebKitGTK+ and Midori, lol. I don't believe that Midori is an Xfce component. If your question is will Midori be decoupled from Xfce... I do not believe that they are "coupled" now - I use Firefox.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2015-11-21 07:37:40

debian
Banned

ToZ wrote:

@debian, it is obvious that you are a fan of debian, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, continually suggesting to install debian as a solution to every poster's issue is not really helpful.

Just ban me, i have already banned from debian.org. It is forbidden to write that debian testing solves almost all stable problems. It is not my fault when debian testing solves many problems, here the problem is compile time.

Last edited by debian (2015-11-21 07:38:04)

#9 2015-11-21 13:41:26

ToZ
Administrator

debian wrote:
ToZ wrote:

Just ban me, i have already banned from debian.org. It is forbidden to write that debian testing solves almost all stable problems. It is not my fault when debian testing solves many problems, here the problem is compile time.

This isn't about the quality of the debian distro or the benefits of testing over stable. This is about providing useful and helpful information to the OP to address their issues. Remember, this is a forum dedicated to Xfce.

Suggestion: If you feel the need to advertise and promote your distro of choice, put it in your signature.

However, we are digressing from @Jhon987's initial post and we should focus on that in this thread. If you have any further comments or issues about this, please email me directly by clicking on the email link under my avatar.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#10 2015-11-24 02:48:41

debian
Banned

ToZ wrote:
debian wrote:
ToZ wrote:

This isn't about the quality of the debian distro or the benefits of testing over stable. This is about providing useful and helpful information to the OP to address their issues. Remember, this is a forum dedicated to Xfce.

Suggestion: If you feel the need to advertise and promote your distro of choice, put it in your signature.

However, we are digressing from @Jhon987's initial post and we should focus on that in this thread. If you have any further comments or issues about this, please email me directly by clicking on the email link under my avatar.

<snip>, original problem is "The reason I ask is because as a Gentoo user - webkit-gtk is one of the longest packages to compile.". Precompiled packages helps. In my debian webkit-gtk is like any other package.

#11 2015-11-24 03:16:28

MountainDewManiac

debian wrote:

Blaah Blaah, original problem is "The reason I ask is because as a Gentoo user - webkit-gtk is one of the longest packages to compile.". Precompiled packages helps. In my debian webkit-gtk is like any other package.

Are you purposely being obtuse here, or did you stop reading the OP's posts after catching a couple of keywords that you could mention whilst posting about Debian? Jhon987 has stated that he "very much appreciated" Gentoo - and that if he wanted to avoid compiling, he'd look for a prebuilt package (for Gentoo) instead of switching to a different distro.

debian wrote:

Just ban me, i have already banned from debian.org. It is forbidden to write that debian testing

I am starting to wonder if there is more to the story than just making statements about Debian testing (such as fixating on it to the point that you continue to do so even after the OP of a thread has made it clear that he is not interested, instead of trying to actually help him with his issue (or merely remaining "silent").

BtW, the one and only time my maturity level dropped enough that I told someone to "just ban me" from a web-forum, my wish was granted. Be careful what you wish for....

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#12 2015-11-24 04:02:23

ToZ
Administrator

Closed.

Board footer