Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-23 10:40:00

florisvda

Xfce panels overlap windows with multiple monitors

I'm using XFCE with two monitors in a vertical configuration. Monitor B is my internal notebook monitor, while monitor A is an external VGA monitor that postioned above my notebook monitor (i.e. a 2x1 setup). I use xrandr to setup my monitors: xrandr --output VGA1 --above LVDS1.

In terms of xfce panels, I have one horizontal panel at the top monitor B. When using fullscreen applications on monitor B, I notice that the titlebar of the application is hidden behind the horizontal panel. Also, there seems to be a gap at the top of monitor A that doesn't get used by fullscreen applications on monitor A (eventhough I don't have a panel there). My guess is that xfce reserves the space for the panel on the wrong monitor (hence the gap on monitor A, and the overlap on monitor B; it should be the other way around). Does anyone know how to fix this? I would like to keep my current panel setup.

I'm using Xfce 4.10 that ships with the latest Xubuntu 14.04. Here is a screenshot illustrating the overlap on the bottom monitor (notice how the title of the firefox window is inside the panel) and the gap on the top monitor:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/466 … 6%3A59.png

I was using the same setup in Ubuntu 12.04 (granted with a backport of a newer Xfce version) and I didn't have this problem. Did I forget to configure something or is this a new bug in Xfce?

#2 2014-04-24 07:03:32

florisvda

Re: Xfce panels overlap windows with multiple monitors

I compiled xfce4-panel from the latest GIT source and swapped out the xfce4-panel binary that came with Ubu 14.04 (xfce4-panel 4.11.0 (Xfce 4.10)), now I'm running xfce4-panel 4.11.1git-343bf29 (Xfce 4.10) (as per http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/co … 38169357d).

Unfortunately the problem still persists. Maybe I should try to swapping out some other Ubu 14.04 xfce components for the latest versions, any suggestions on which components specfically?
If not then this is to be considered a bug in xfce4, my best bet would be to report it on https://bugzilla.xfce.org/ ?

#3 2014-04-24 07:08:13

florisvda

I found this bug report which seems to report the same issue: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9693 It doesn't say anything about reserving the space for the panel on a different monitor however.

#4 2014-10-11 00:58:01

Mine Turtle

Sorry to bring up the old topic, however the problem still exists with latest version of xfce-panel 4.11.1. Are there any workarounds? Is it even being looked into(I guess not since no activity on bugtracker)?

#5 2015-12-15 06:51:06

kamil_yaminov

Seems like I fixed it, it works on my dual monitor desktop. You can take fixed xfce4-panel here https://github.com/yaminov/xfce4-panel/ … nov/struts

It is necessary to download sources (using git or just download zip), build them and install in accordance with instructions.

#6 2015-12-15 19:58:32

ToZ
Administrator

kamil_yaminov wrote:

Seems like I fixed it, it works on my dual monitor desktop. You can take fixed xfce4-panel here https://github.com/yaminov/xfce4-panel/ … nov/struts

It is necessary to download sources (using git or just download zip), build them and install in accordance with instructions.

You should consider posting a patch file to that bug report - so that it can get evaluated and possibly included in the next update.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2015-12-16 12:47:16

kamil_yaminov

Should I just generate and post a patch? Or there should be some description and so on. I never did such things before.

#8 2015-12-16 13:38:38

ToZ
Administrator

kamil_yaminov wrote:

Should I just generate and post a patch? Or there should be some description and so on. I never did such things before.

Just post a comment to the existing bug report and attach a patch file. You can generate a patch file by grabbing the current git master, making your source changes, and running "git diff -p > file.patch" to generate a patch file.

When the maintainer of the xfce4-panel code does his/her review, they will comment/accept/etc. We need to keep in mind that the current efforts are dedicated to the GTK3 migration, so this may not be immediate.

The other benefit is that if someone searches the bug tracker, they will find your patch and can apply and test it themselves.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#9 2015-12-17 07:55:53

kamil_yaminov

Ok. I post the comment with the patch

#10 2019-02-13 14:04:23

stefanitsky

@kamil_yaminov great work! Thank you!
But i have a problem with plugins, they do not all work, i tried to create symlinks, but, for example, /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libdatetime.so not works
Some ideas how to fix that?
And what this problem is generally connected with, because, as i understand it, only the method of calculating the free space for windows has changed, but what about the plugins? Why did they break?

P.S. Sorry for bump the old topic, but the problem is still relevant and has not been fixed so far...

#11 2019-02-13 15:33:59

stefanitsky

Hm, i did a build on 4.12.2 xfce4-panel version (its current version on arch official repo) and problem is the same, you have to manually create symlinks...

#12 2019-02-13 18:32:15

stefanitsky

Well, i found simple solution for the arch users: just install that pkg from the AUR:

$ yay -S xfce4-panel-borderfix

Board footer