Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-27 03:11:51

lochi

I got some trouble to install Xfce4.12 on LMDE2

hello, I follow these steps from
Install Mind Blowing Xfce 4.12 Desktop Environment on Linux

but the step 3.Compiling Xfce

We need to compile these packages using the same command lines. We should enter into the package directory using cd command then run the following command as:

$ ./configure

Try to input the same command to my notebook, it shows...

xxx@lmde_ ~/Desktop/xfce4.12/src $ ./configure 
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
xxx@lmde_ ~/Desktop/xfce4.12/src $ cd
xxx@lmde_ ~ $ ./configure

what should i do to solve this kind of situation? Thanks a lot

Last edited by lochi (2016-01-27 03:17:43)

#2 2016-01-27 06:28:23

ozjd
Website

Re: I got some trouble to install Xfce4.12 on LMDE2

Why are you building it? I'm sure your distro has packages available.

#3 2016-01-27 20:50:55

ToZ
Administrator

I believe that LMDE2 is based on Jessie and still ships Xfce 4.10. There was a recent topic here that discussed using the mepis repositories to update to 4.12 and I've also seen info on the web about using the debian experimental repositories to do the same.

As for your issue with the configure script, make sure you run it when inside the actual package directory and not from the src directory. There should be a "configure" script in the directory that you are running it from. You also need to build the packages in a certain order, running the configure script for each package.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2016-01-28 03:05:07

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

LMDE2

Good catch; I didn't even notice. There is no "Xfce flavor" of LMDE, either, only a Cinnamon and MATE one, so the OP would not have started with Xfce in the first place, unless he/she chose to install it post-OS-install from LMDE's repos.

I glanced at a thread once that was written by someone who wanted a newer version of... something that was in Debian's Stable repos. Someone posted that the person could simply switch his repos to the Testing (or Unstable, IDK, "not Stable" at any rate) and do an update, then switch back - and someone else posted that this would most likely amount to a Bad Idea. So, if that is true, compiling would seem to be the logical thing to do, since Debian doesn't have PPAs where a person can just add one containing Xfce 4.12 to his/her sources list.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2016-01-28 18:41:50

sixsixfive
Website

lochi wrote:
xxx@lmde_ ~/Desktop/xfce4.12/src $ ./configure 
xxx@lmde_ ~/Desktop/xfce4.12/src $ cd
xxx@lmde_ ~ $ ./configure

if i remember correctly the most xfce sources use buildconf so you have to run ./autogen.sh first.

PS: Why not just install a clean & fresh debian testing ( https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-ins … ex.en.html )if you want Xfce 4.12. I don't think that LMDE(or any other Debian derivative) features packages that are not already in debian...

Last edited by sixsixfive (2016-01-28 20:13:50)

Board footer