Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-23 08:17:12

azhuroms

xrandr script is not executed at the session start up

After I have upgraded from LMDE1 to LMDE2 I have trouble fixing my two monitors resolutions and positions. The new xfce4 is 4.10 so the Display settings is not supporting multiple monitors, as I understand it comes only with 4.11. Before the upgrade I had a script doing the job for me. I still have that script active in the 'Session Startup' setup. However it is not executed at the startup (although other entries in the 'Session Startup' are functioning correctly). On this forum I have found another suggestion -- to put the script into the /etc/X11/Xsession.d ( https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8342 ) -- same thing.

Is there a way to make the xrandr call automatically, or do I need to run it per hand from the terminal every time I log in?

#2 2016-02-23 13:47:32

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xrandr script is not executed at the session start up

Hello and welcome.

Have a look at your session log file (maybe ~/.xsession-errors) to see if there are errors when it runs. Or have the script write out to a log file ala "myscript > /tmp/myscript.log 2>&1".

It might be a timing issue as well where the X session may not be fully ready at the time your script runs. Try clearing out your sessions cache (deleting the contents of ~/.cache/sessions while not logged in) and/or putting a slight delay at the beginning of the script.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-23 15:28:07

sixsixfive
Website

on debian based systems

put the script in /etc/profile.d
or the command to run the script in ~/.profile

#4 2016-02-23 15:37:15

azhuroms

It looks like xfce4 somehow overrides the changes produced by my script. Having removed the ~/.cache/sessions, everything worked fine. But before that I was logged into completely wired environment with mirrored monitors and the resolution of ~1024x748. If I now make the ~/.cache/sessions write protected, will it help?

#5 2016-02-23 16:10:31

ToZ
Administrator

azhuroms wrote:

If I now make the ~/.cache/sessions write protected, will it help?

It may have just been some left over stuff from the upgrade. See if it works from now on in - you may not need to make the folder read-only.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer