Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-21 21:28:20

alxgvr

Global menu in XFCE (Please!)

Hi. I love XFCE, but that missing for me - global menu (like in Unity). In Linux Mint I use Topmenu applet and window buttons. But in Manjaro XFCE they don't work.

I think if XFCE developers will include global menu applet as part of DE - this will be the best DE ever!
Unfortunately - there is no alternative to Unity now. We have a lot of Different DE, but none of them have global menu. Only Unity has.

If developers will include it in XFCE - it will be in every distro, that uses XFCE! So I will not have problems with topmenu applet in Manjaro anymore... smile

Global menu is great. Especially for laptops with small screens like 10'. No one can beat Unity in laptops wit 10' screens ((

Yes, and "window buttons on pannel" too smile

#2 2016-02-21 23:05:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Global menu in XFCE (Please!)

But in Manjaro XFCE they don't work.

I don't have a Manjaro install handy, but it seems to work fine in Arch Linux. To get it to work, I had to:

1. install topmenu-gtk-git from the AUR (for gtk2 apps)

2. install topmenu-gtk3-git from the AUR (for gtk3 apps)

3. install qt4-private-headers-dev and topmenu-qt-git from the AUR (for qt apps)

4. install topmenu-mozilla-git from the AUR (for Firefox/Thunderbird apps)

5. install xfce4-topmenu-plugin-git from the AUR (for the xfce4 panel plugin)

6. made sure I added "topmenu-gtk-module" to my GTK_MODULES environment variable

There are also other options available to you if you are looking to maximize your screen real estate (that don't involve a global menu):

• make the top panel autohide

• move the top panel to one of the sides in deskbar mode

• use a thinner xfwm4 theme

As for development, the topmenu plugin isn't an "official" Xfce package as it isn't in the Xfce git tree. It's development home is located here with contact information provided there.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-23 18:28:50

alxgvr

Thanks, I will try!

ToZ wrote:

As for development, the topmenu plugin isn't an "official" Xfce package as it isn't in the Xfc

That`s what I talking about... About "official" plugin, suported by XFCE team, that will work stable in every XFCE distro.

BTW, MATE team anounce global menu in next release... https://twitter.com/ubuntu_mate/status/ … 0766150657
MATE and XFCE are both simple and fast DE, so many people can`t chose which is better... Global menu - is a strong argument.

So, will XFCE beat MATE in terms of global menu integration? tongue

#4 2016-02-23 19:30:13

ToZ
Administrator

You're confusing a distribution (Ubuntu / Arch / Debian / Fedora) with a Desktop Environment (Mate / Xfce).

The "Ubuntu Mate 16.04" release looks like it will ship with the topmenu-gtk plugin in their repositories and available in their default layout (see: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/02/ubun … le-desktop). The Mate desktop environment (like the Xfce desktop environment) does not include a global menu as part of their core modules.

You can achieve the same using the instructions I posted above for the Arch / Manjaro distributions (and probably with all other distributions as well if you take into account their respective package managers and repositories).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-02-23 20:52:08

alxgvr

I understand that smile

I`m asking Xfce desktop environment to include a global menu applet as part of their core modules smile

It is just my humble suggestion with all respect to XFCE team smile

Board footer