Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-03 07:09:00

gtozzi

Window border is too thin to grab

Hey there,

I admit I could have some aim problems, but the window border appears to be only 1 pixed wide and I have problems at grabbing it for resizing a window.

When it comes to corner grabbing to resize both with and height at the same tame, it's mission impossible.

Is there a setting somewhere to say "use w wider grabbing area for window borders"?

Thank you

#2 2016-03-03 13:31:04

Jerry3904

Re: Window border is too thin to grab

<I swear I posted this already...>
What theme are you using?

Is there a setting somewhere to say "use w wider grabbing area for window borders"?

lol

That is coded in the theme itself AFAIK, at least that's what we found out during MX-15 development. If you are using greybird (or bluebird) and a Debian-based distro, then you can take a look at our mx-greybird-themes package, where we expanded the border to 3 pixels after much tester feedback about how annoying it was to try to grab it. (We are about to update that BTW to include a Stretch version that fixes other appearance problems.)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2016-03-03 13:50:01

gtozzi

Yep, you are right: it's greybird.

The thin border is nice, it just needs to be more sensible.

If this is not configurable, then I think i'm just moving to daloa.

Thank you wink

#4 2016-03-03 21:38:50

sixsixfive
Website

you should try ALT+(mouse left/right button) to resize move it works on all window managers and is much easier than finding  borders

#5 2016-03-04 03:40:56

gtozzi

This is definitely going to change my life!

How could've lived so long without it?!?

Many thanks!!!

#6 2016-04-15 20:16:48

mabra

sixsixfive wrote:

you should try ALT+(mouse left/right button) to resize move it works on all window managers and is much easier than finding  borders

Oops - may you please so kind and explain ??
I have always the problem with the too small borders, but selected another theme, which helps a bit ;-)
I tried to find out, what you mentioned - but have no reaction on ALT+(any mouse action).

Thanks anyway,
Manfred

#7 2016-04-15 21:38:16

MountainDewManiac

mabra wrote:

may you please so kind and explain ??

I just tried it with a small Thunar window: Place mouse cursor somewhere in the window. Hold the ALT key down. Hold left mouse button and move mouse cursor - the window moves. Hold right left mouse button and move mouse cursor - the window resizes in the direction of movement.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2016-04-15 23:00:47

ComputerBob
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I just tried it with a small Thunar window: Place mouse cursor somewhere in the window. Hold the ALT key down. Hold left mouse button and move mouse cursor - the window moves. Hold right left mouse button and move mouse cursor - the window resizes in the direction of movement.

Regards,
MDM

Thanks! Those additional details made it work for me!

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

#9 2016-04-16 00:16:52

mabra

ComputerBob wrote:
MountainDewManiac wrote:

Regards,
MDM

Thanks! Those additional details made it work for me!

Oh, my - yes, this works and much thanks!
Now I see, I have misunderstood the thread .. ;-)
My problem mostly is to re-size the window ....

Anyway, thanks!
Manfred

#10 2016-04-16 10:50:07

Jerry3904

Alt-F8 jumps your cursor to the corner of the active window, is that what you mean?

EDIT: also, Alt-F10 maximizes the active window, a handy one for me.

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2016-04-16 10:54:32)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#11 2016-04-16 23:32:23

mabra

Jerry3904 wrote:

Alt-F8 jumps your cursor to the corner of the active window, is that what you mean?

EDIT: also, Alt-F10 maximizes the active window, a handy one for me.

Yes, thanks - that's it ! But for me, it jumps to the middel of the window - anyway, it has
the edge-pointer active and if you use the mouse, resizing happens.

Thank you !
Manfred

#12 2022-08-28 09:48:03

iisthphir

alt+mouse is very useful, faster than alt+f7/f8 if you have one hand on the mouse.
I often like to maximise windows vertically only and so I try to find the border to double click as f6 doesn't seem to work, I found out that middle clicking the maximise button on the window works so that is better although would still like a hotkey for this. Also noticed the top border of my windows don't have any area to grab with the mouse although all the other borders do, even the top corners.

#13 2022-08-28 10:50:02

KBar

Hello and welcome, iisthphir!

iisthphir wrote:

I often like to maximise windows vertically only and so I try to find the border to double click as f6 doesn't seem to work, I found out that middle clicking the maximise button on the window works so that is better although would still like a hotkey for this.

You can define a shortcut for this action:
8TApo29s.png

Also noticed the top border of my windows don't have any area to grab with the mouse although all the other borders do, even the top corners.

The problem is most likely with your theme. What is the output of the following commands?

xfconf-query --channel xsettings --property /Net/ThemeName
xfconf-query --channel xfwm4 --property /general/theme

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#14 2022-08-28 11:10:57

Clio

You dig up an 6 year old thread to log in here, very strange...

Last edited by Clio (2022-08-28 11:14:27)

#15 2022-09-03 16:37:46

Battery Man

Jerry3904 wrote:

<I swear I posted this already...>
What theme are you using?

lol

That is coded in the theme itself AFAIK, at least that's what we found out during MX-15 development. If you are using greybird (or bluebird) and a Debian-based distro, then you can take a look at our mx-greybird-themes package, where we expanded the border to 3 pixels after much tester feedback about how annoying it was to try to grab it. (We are about to update that BTW to include a Stretch version that fixes other appearance problems.)

Is it easy to hack this same border change in myself without installing anything? This is the only thing that I'd want to change about greybird.

#16 2023-05-31 19:25:58

MartySchrader

Hey, guys? How about answering the original question? It is sometimes necessary to grab a window border _within_ another window, such as resizing column width. In any case, the question was how to go about tuning the window frame size. Is there a way to do this for non-XFCE ex-spurts?

#17 2023-06-16 14:16:37

fixitmanarizona

@ MartySchrader You can still use my solution from 2021 as far as I know:
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=63330#p63330
This has been an ongoing issue for over ten years by the way, search the forum for "Window Border." There are other solutions of course such as workarounds or just using a different window manager (such as Marco from Mate.) or using keyboard shortcuts. But this one worked for me, if OOmox is still an ongoing thing. smile

Board footer