Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-24 13:04:58

gojira

Can I use xclipboard in combo with Xubuntu 14.04.4 and XFCE?

I am using Xubuntu 14.04.4 Desktop, naturally with XFCE4.

I need a clipboard manager. I know that Xubuntu/XFCE comes with clipman 1.2.5., however for my purposes this is unusable because clipman does not show me the clipboard contents all the time. I have to click on it each time to see the list. This is very tedious.

Previously I was very happy with xclipboard. However I cannot use it because I always get this "Error: another clipboard is already running".

Is it possible to use xclipboard in combination with Xubuntu 14.04.4 and XFCE? If yes, how?

If it is not possible, can you recommend a clipboard manager which always shows the current contents of the clipboard(s)?

#2 2016-03-24 15:08:54

Jerry3904

Re: Can I use xclipboard in combo with Xubuntu 14.04.4 and XFCE?

Does your distro have it available? (In Debian it is called xclip, maybe in other distros as well.)

We just added CopyQ to our repos, and it looks terrific so you might take a look at that.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2016-03-24 15:11:53

gojira

Jerry3904 wrote:

Does your distro have it available? (In Debian it is called xclip, maybe in other distros as well.)

We just added CopyQ to our repos, and it looks terrific so you might take a look at that.

By "it" you mean xclipboard? Yes it is in my distro and I have successfully installed it. However it will not run, because of the error which I have described above. My question is, how can I start xclipboard under XFCE? It conflicts with whatever internal clipboardmanager-process is already running (although there is no clipboard manager per se running).

Last edited by gojira (2016-03-24 15:13:11)

#4 2016-03-24 15:28:21

Jerry3904

It runs here even though I have 2 other clip applications installed and running, so it does not appear to be an Xfce problem.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2016-03-24 20:46:18

Sideburns
Website

If it helps, I'm running Xfce 4.10 on Fedora 21.  I also use clipman and I've always had to click on the icon to bring up the list and select the one I need.  To be more precise, I don't have anything on my panel that doesn't need a click to activate.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#6 2016-03-25 02:35:06

MountainDewManiac

gojira wrote:

it will not run, because of the error which I have described above. My question is, how can I start xclipboard under XFCE? It conflicts with whatever internal clipboardmanager-process is already running (although there is no clipboard manager per se running).

Can you start it from within a terminal window with the "replace" parameter?

xclipboard --replace

(or maybe just one "-" - I cannot remember)

If that doesn't work - IDK, but I think I might have seen it with the xfwm command in a thread, lol - can you run Synaptic Package Manager or whatever your distro uses and simply uninstall clipman? On my system, there is both xfce4-clipman and xfce4-clipman-plugin. Removing clipman (again, on my system) gives me the notice that I'll also be removing the xfce4-goodies package, but I am pretty sure that is just a meta-package (basically, a list of other packages that all get installed at once) so removing it won't actually remove any packages (other than the clipman one, of course).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer