Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-02 16:41:31

Pascal3366

Compiz should be integrated into XFCE

I'm currently running Archlinux with XFCE 4.12 and compiz 0.8.12.2 and emerald 0.8.12.3.
With compiz compiled into XFCE its just running fluid and awesome.
It just works like a charm and should be officially get integrated into next XFCE versions.

Last edited by Pascal3366 (2016-04-02 16:43:06)

#2 2016-04-02 17:35:18

sixsixfive
Website

Re: Compiz should be integrated into XFCE

hell no!

#3 2016-04-02 19:48:14

MountainDewManiac

I sure am glad that's not going to happen. (BtW, Pascal3366, are you trying to start a fight? lol )

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2016-04-03 01:43:55

SantaFe

sixsixfive wrote:

hell no!

I have a old Dell running Ubuntu-MATE 15.10, and they force Compiz on you.  Tried using Synaptic to uninstall it, but keeps warning it'll remove Ubuntu-MATE desktop.  Darn it, I WANT to upgrade that box. wink

All my other computers are running Compiz free Xubuntus! big_smile

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

#5 2016-04-03 04:14:53

MountainDewManiac

SantaFe wrote:

Tried using Synaptic to uninstall it, but keeps warning it'll remove Ubuntu-MATE desktop.

It might just be warning you that it'll remove a meta-package. A meta-package is basically a list of other files to be installed; if the user removes one of those files, the meta-package is no longer installed. Sort of.

OtOH, I would think that the first step to removing any window manager would be to install a different window manager and then configure the DE to use it. IDK if the popular DEs (Xfce, MATE, et cetera) can run without one.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#6 2016-04-03 08:37:49

Pascal3366

Whats bad about compiz? Xfce runs much smoother with compiz and i love the animations and addons that compiz comes with

#7 2016-04-03 10:18:25

Jerry3904

animations and addons

Bingo.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#8 2016-04-03 12:09:07

poltiser

keep it optional like in new Mate - 4 different options to choose from - no compositing, software compton, compton i compiz, but one can exist with or without...
I am happy as we are...

less forced solutions = more options

my computers are old and I am not interested in buying anything for now...

If I would change anything is "default settings - especially short-cuts - I would make optional as well with good documentation what is where and how to get rid of it if necessary...

Thank you for XFCE!

#9 2016-04-03 22:34:46

ozjd
Website

Why should Xfce revive a dead project - https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/other_window_manager#compiz. Many teams have tried to maintain it but all have given up.

#10 2016-04-04 05:50:44

MountainDewManiac

Jerry3904 wrote:

animations and addons

Bingo.

Yeah, what he "said." Basically - aside from the many, many issues that I have read about in regards to people who have insisted on using Compiz with Xfce - it most likely goes against the whole Xfce thing: A lightweight DE that aims to be fast and have low system requirements. All that eye-pollution is unnecessary and often distracting. If all one wishes to do with their computer is play with visuals, there are probably more appropriate DEs. Cinnamon, possibly - I think it wants hardware graphics acceleration just to run the desktop (of course, it uses Muffin as its WM by default). Wait... Compiz doesn't work with Cinnamon, does it? I guess you could go with MATE:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2851078/linux-mint-171-finally-makes-mates-fancy-compiz-graphics-easy-to-use.html

When I minimize a window, I don't expect to see it fold itself up into a "paper airplane" and fly off the screen (then again, I am not nine years old roll ) - I expect to see it disappear posthaste (that's why I minimized it in the first place!). YMMV, of course...

For those who didn't click on the link that ozjd provided, here is what it states:

CompizJust don't use it. It is outdated. Upstream is dead. Canonical took over the development, but only for Unity, so don't expect proper packages outside of *buntu.

The developer of my distro (Mint) provides the choice of either Xfwm or Compiz in its Xfce "flavor" of the distro. IDK how he managed to integrate it so that it (apparently) works okay for most people; there have been multiple "issues" threads, but not so many that one would get the impression that it just flat-out doesn't work, lol. It probably helps that Mint is based on *buntu, I suppose?

If you insist on using Compiz as your window manager and Xfce as your desktop environment, my suggestion is to choose Mint (or Xubuntu, I guess) as your distro. But please do not suggest that Compiz should be forced on everyone. (It won't be. Ever. Thankfully.)

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2016-04-04 06:01:27)

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer