Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-28 12:29:56

Gaytan

bug: Xubuntu (XFCE 4.12); problem with layered background

Hello,

I am now working with Xubuntu 16.04 (with XFCE 4.12), working very very well and smooth, but.....

One problem though; when choosing for layered background:

Clicking 'desktop settings', setting background to 'transparent' and 'position to centered', I first choose my fullscreen background, then I 'position' a nice pic in the centre on top of that background. That works really well for the active session.

Then, when restarting my pc I always 'loose' the fullscreen background, now only presented in fullscreen black, with in the centre my smaller picture. This can be reproduced each time!

It was like this already in Vivid 15.10 as well (with XFCE 4.10).

Can something be done about this?

Thanks!

Gaytan

Last edited by Gaytan (2016-04-28 12:36:58)

#2 2016-04-28 18:16:55

ToZ
Administrator

Re: bug: Xubuntu (XFCE 4.12); problem with layered background

Interesting - I didn't even know this functionality existed. I've been looking at it, but only found the following links:
- http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/usage#colors
- https://smdavis.us/doku/doku.php?id=xfd … jfrv8-copy
...this second link has a note to ask the Developer how the option is supposed to work.

As a result of looking closer at it, I believe its only meant to work with a transparent wallpaper and a colour in that the background colour can "tint" the overall appearance of the transparent image. The image itself needs to have transparency built in for it to work (e.g. http://i.stack.imgur.com/BfnUa.png). Try this:
1. Set the background style to "none" and set the colour to black. This should change the background so that it is black.
2. Then change the style to something other than "none", select the wallpaper referenced above, and change the colour to "transparent". The wallpaper should darken.
3. Change the colour to white and the wallpaper should lighten.

This is my understanding of how it should work. The fact that you are getting one image displaying over another is I believe the bug. You can create a bug report for xfdesktop and maybe the developer can comment further on this functionality.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-04-28 21:14:59

Gaytan

Hi ToZ!

Thanks for the explanations!

Yes, your explanation work here beautifully (too)! No problem, alhtough I don't seen 'any use' for that functionality really but that can be a matter of taste....

Fact is, within the functionalities that XFCE offers, the layered style I'm trying to do works beautifully for the active session. Shouldn't one's background(s) [layered or not] not be exactly the same after restarting the pc? I think that should be the case really...
I think that when possibilities are given, to style my background as I do in the layered way, it should not be all too difficult to get the same choices back once logged in again.... I think. I mean, with the options present in XFCE I succeed in putting one image over the other, which is a neat way of building up one's desktop...

As the centered (top image) is put back in place after login again, why could not the back layer be put back as well?

As far as I know XFCE is the only shell giving these options... I love them really!

Thanks for your time you're putting in this matter! ;-)

#4 2016-04-28 22:22:42

Gaytan

Yes, it works exactly -very well- as you explained.

Meaning, somewhere the 'new desktop settings' are saved. Do you think it would be hard to add to these setting a (fullscreen) background picture / path so the same can be done with a picture background? Instead of only 'solid color' and / or 'gradients'?

I think, which ever way one 'builds up' the layers of the background; wouldn't it 'suffice' to save desktop settings into the same file, be it colors / gradients / pic-paths, once logging Out? (and in again).

#5 2016-04-29 00:12:03

ToZ
Administrator

Gaytan wrote:

Meaning, somewhere the 'new desktop settings' are saved.

During the session, the settings are saved in memory (via xfconfd). When you log out, these settings are saved to their respective xml files in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-prechannel-xml. When you start up Xfce next, xfconf reads those files and sets up the memory structures again. Most likely, this "setup" is not being saved and reapplied in the manner you are wanting it to happen.

Do you think it would be hard to add to these setting a (fullscreen) background picture / path so the same can be done with a picture background? Instead of only 'solid color' and / or 'gradients'?

Anything is possible, but you'd need to first ask the developer what the true intent of this function is and whether he'd be willing to develop (or some one else develop the code) for this enhancement. Just keep in mind that the current Xfce focus and effort is on the GTK3/gdbus migration.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2016-05-02 02:48:31

MountainDewManiac

This wouldn't work if you change your desktop image a lot. But have you tried getting it looking the way you like, then taking a screenshot, setting all the options back to "normal," - and then just using your screenshot as your desktop background image, lol?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer