Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-03 07:35:03

romikforest

Gnome search providers for xfdashboard

There are "gnome search providers" plugin for xfdashboard. But how can I install those providers if I haven't the gnome shell?

#2 2016-05-04 06:02:35

nomad

Re: Gnome search providers for xfdashboard

You don't need Gnome Shell to use the Gnome Shell search providers as they are installed by applications. E.g. seahorse provides a search provider to look up SSH or PGP keys, QuodLibet installs a search provider to search in your music collection and so on. There are many more (Gnome) applications which install such search providers. Xfdashboard can use them if this plugin mentioned is activated.

#3 2016-05-06 22:25:44

romikforest

There are many "search providers" in https://extensions.gnome.org I've installed several by copying to ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions as their instructions writes, but I don't see any change in how my xfdashboard works.

#4 2019-10-31 15:13:42

BenyaminL
Website

I also have question about this. Hmm.. I tried to use some search provider and not work at all.

#5 2019-10-31 20:19:07

ToZ
Administrator

Apparently, the files need to go into $(prefix)/share/gnome-shell/search-providers - which should normally be /usr/share/gnome-shell/search-providers, unless you use another prefix.

However, putting them in there still doesn't work for me. Perhaps a bug report is the best way forward.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2019-11-01 13:41:51

BenyaminL
Website

ToZ wrote:

Apparently, the files need to go into $(prefix)/share/gnome-shell/search-providers - which should normally be /usr/share/gnome-shell/search-providers, unless you use another prefix.

However, putting them in there still doesn't work for me. Perhaps a bug report is the best way forward.

Seems we need to add some service for it. I tried it one, even set gnome service on xfce start, no hope. The only thing that works is gnome-documents(which is very slow, I remove it), I only manage to make tracker from nautilus, seahourse password, and the native app search only to run on xfdashboard, for other? Nada, even remmina search provider, it works under gnome, but not in xfdashboard, and seems it rely on some service that xfce can't run because heavily dependend on gnome-shell. I just guest it, but files indexing, and seahorse working on xfdashboard xfdashboard.png

But still xfdashboard really heavy on old laptop and nautilus is much better for searching file (on centos, no catfish, and I tried to build one but fail, so stick to nautilus),  and tracker miner.

Last edited by BenyaminL (2019-11-01 19:04:51)

Board footer