Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-10 11:40:02

Tomha

xfce4-terminal fixed to column/rows, window size inconsistent

Using xfce4-terminal with xfwm, xfce4-terminal appears to resize to a set number of rows/columns rather than a pixel size. This means when snapping to a screen edge/corner with xfwm it rounds the size down to the nearest number of rows/columns, causing a window slightly narrower and shorter than any other window I try to resize. Functionally this is no problem, but its appearance bugs me when tiling with other windows. I suspect it won't be the case, but is it possible to change this so that it resizes "per pixel" rather than per row/column, like most other windows?

#2 2016-05-10 15:14:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce4-terminal fixed to column/rows, window size inconsistent

I don't believe you can with the current version of xfce4-terminal. What I believe is happening is that xfwm4 is setting the window properties on tile but then xfce4-terminal is re-sizing based on rows/columns of font and shrinking the window away from the edges. xfce4-terminal is in the process of being re-written to use VTE3, so that may change in the future.

As for options, Terminator has an option to turn off geometry_hinting which allows the window to tile properly (without the re-size).

You can also use wmctrl to create scripts to place windows in exact locations that you desire without the gapping.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-05-11 01:02:55

Tomha

wmctrl does the job pretty well, between a global hotkey and an alias for terminal windows I could see this as being pretty useful, thanks for pointing it out. However it doesn't solve the problem entirely, I don't suppose its possible to get xfwm to run custom commands on snap-to-edge events? Or perhaps use something else to monitor for xfwm resize events and run a command under certain conditions? If not I'll either put up with it for the time being or keep using konsole and see what the re-write brings.

#4 2016-05-11 02:37:16

ToZ
Administrator

Tomha wrote:

I don't suppose its possible to get xfwm to run custom commands on snap-to-edge events?

Unfortunately, no.

Or perhaps use something else to monitor for xfwm resize events and run a command under certain conditions?

I don't believe its an xfwm issue - I think its the app that is doing this. Either way, I am unaware of a method to do this.

You can also create a bug report against xfwm4 and see what the developer says.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-05-11 02:43:55

MountainDewManiac

...or join the Xfce Developer email list and ask there. You never know, someone might think, "Hey, that's a great idea. Why don't I see if I can figure out a solution for that?"

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2017-12-29 04:49:13

bergentroll

I want to attract your attention that on Mate DE with Marco WM xfce4-terminal works properly in "tile" mode.

Board footer