Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-12 21:09:47

mb121

Window styles miss buttons, some backgrounds

Hello,

I've been searching for a resolution to this issue for several weeks and tried solutions from help docs, other threads, etc, but alas nothing worked. I am running Manjaro with Xfce 4.12 and enjoy the ability to theme the windows and inside elements. However, no matter what I do, certain elements just will not bother being changed, no matter the theme I run.

SVJmfE0.png

Here is a snippet of my desktop under a light theme, Adwaita. The color of the taskbar is blue, with flat buttons enabled. The selected or rolled-over panel buttons show a white background, which is not the main issue...

kaxQnYU.png

However, switching over to a theme such as Adwaita-Dark (shown in pic) or Numix or Breeze-Dark, the window buttons, panel buttons, and some field backgrounds fail to change their colors, despite the text doing so.

R8zYmMf.png

I've gone through /usr/share/themes and made sure the colors were what they should:

Adwaita-Dark/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

@define-color theme_base_color #4f524f; //dark bg
@define-color theme_text_color #eeeeec; //light text
@define-color theme_bg_color #363b3b; //dark bg
@define-color theme_fg_color @theme_text_color; //light text

[...]

@define-color button_gradient_color_a shade (@theme_bg_color, 1.1); //dark bg
@define-color button_gradient_color_b shade (@theme_bg_color, 0.9); //dark bg
@define-color button_border #24282a;

And there is no definition that has a color that is #ffffff, yet that is what shows up for some backgrounds?

I've gone through running applications like xcfe4-appearance-settings to see any errors that pop up, and it's nothing more than talking about icons. (There was an issue that mentioned a "clearlooks" module, but that was resolved with a package.)

And like I've said, I've tried this for other themes to no avail; the buttons just refuse to change. I don't know what else to do.

EDIT: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=10126 this thread is the closest to my issue, but there is nothing in my ~/.local/share/themes nor ~/.themes

Last edited by mb121 (2016-05-12 21:21:48)

#2 2016-05-12 23:55:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Window styles miss buttons, some backgrounds

Hello and welcome.

A couple of items need to be clarified first. When it comes to appearance themes in Xfce, they can be either GTK2 or GTK3 based. I'm not familiar with Manjaro and don't know about the Adwaita theme that you are using. Does it contain both GTK2 and GTK3 theme components? You can tell by looking into the theme directory for a gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 directories. If a gtk-2.0 directory doesn't exist, then you won't be able to affect the GTK2 components in Xfce like the panel windows plugin.

You do mention the Numix theme, which I know has a gtk2 component so if the problem is persisting with that theme, then there is something not right.

I'm not sure which app your third screenshot is from, so it's hard to tell whether its GTK2 or GTK3. The code snippets indicate that you are looking at GTK3 components, when you should be looking at GTK2 components for the windows buttons panel. The buttons in the dialogs could be either GTK2 or GTK3 (though the appearance settings are GTK2).

Also, its possible that you may have some overrides in place. Is there anything in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 or /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc files? These entries would override the theme settings.

One good way to determine whether its a configuration or systemic issue, is try create a secondary user account, log into that account and see if the problem persists.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-05-13 00:12:05

mb121

Re: Window styles miss buttons, some backgrounds

Thank you for responding, ToZ.

Manjaro is an Arch-based distro. Both Adwaita and Adwaita-Dark have gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 components. Though I do see an ~/.gtkrc-2.0 pointing to the Adwaita theme, and I assume that this is the override (because changing its include to Adwaita-Dark actually changes the buttons, panel, etc, to the dark theme, finally).

Is it safe though to continue using the gtkrc-2.0 file, or am I able to delete and allow the themes to handle missing components without any glitches? It seems that the file was intended to act as a fallback instead of an override, and I would rather not have to manually change the include path every time I want to switch themes.

EDIT: It seems that the gtkrc-2.0 file was carried over from my KDE Plasma 5 desktop for its theme purposes and complicated Xfce. All is well now, thank you!

Last edited by mb121 (2016-05-13 00:17:20)

Board footer