Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-19 23:27:19

DrLinux

hiDpi

Hi all,

Before posting here i have searched the internet dry, the issue im facing is that my laptop is 15inch and runs a 4k screen my current resolution is 3840x2160, on windows its crystal clear and looks amazing however while using linux(XFCE) it is really small and not visible, if you know of any solutions please inform me as I’m having a great deal of stress....... ☹
- items extremly small
- need microscope to see
- changed dpi to 196 still does not work i know in gnome i can enter "gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2" but prefer xfce.......this is why im fighting for it smile

#2 2016-05-20 01:17:33

ToZ
Administrator

Re: hiDpi

Hello and welcome.
There was a recent thread about this topic.

Some more information here and an unofficial patch to xfce4-panel for hidpi displays.

If you are using 4.12, then there are also the hdpi and xhdpi window manager themes (or you can look for more at http://xfce-look.org/).

changed dpi to 196 still does not work

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Didn't the font get bigger?

in gnome i can enter "gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2"

For gtk3 apps you can use the GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE environment variables:

GDK_SCALE=2 GDK_DPI_SCALE=2 gedit

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-05-22 15:44:40

DrLinux

thank you for your reply

i tried all of the above and nothing seems to worked on my 4k laptop. I tried all of the themes whıch support 4k and does not change at all even when i change it manually. there must be a easıer solutıon lıke gnome.....

#4 2016-05-22 15:49:01

ToZ
Administrator

DrLinux wrote:

thank you for your reply

i tried all of the above and nothing seems to worked on my 4k laptop.

How did you try them? What exactly did you do?

I tried all of the themes whıch support 4k and does not change at all even when i change it manually. there must be a easıer solutıon lıke gnome.....

Which themes did you try and where/how did you try to change them? If they are xfwm4 window manager themes, they should work.

And finally, which version of Xfce are you running and on which distro?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-05-22 15:56:51

DrLinux

is it possbile i can show you over skype using share screen, actions speak louder than words and by the time i explain........well u know what i mean.

would be great to finally solve this long issue i have been facing

running 4.10

Last edited by DrLinux (2016-05-22 16:35:24)

#6 2016-05-22 17:37:29

DrLinux

trying to upgrade the dist my steps was:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12

ERROR HERE : Xfce 4.12 packages for currently supported versions of Xubuntu. These packages come with no guarantee of functionality or support. For supported versions, please install Xubuntu 15.04 or newer which comes packaged with Xfce 4.12.
More info: https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+arc … /xfce-4.12
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

#7 2016-05-22 18:31:41

ToZ
Administrator

DrLinux wrote:

running 4.10

trying to upgrade the dist my steps was:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12

ERROR HERE : Xfce 4.12 packages for currently supported versions of Xubuntu. These packages come with no guarantee of functionality or support. For supported versions, please install Xubuntu 15.04 or newer which comes packaged with Xfce 4.12.
More info: https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+arc … /xfce-4.12
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

You might have more luck asking at your distro's forum for distro-specific advice, but as far as a I remember, this isn't an error - its waiting for you to press Enter to continue.

You might also consider upgrading to the new 16.04 LTS version that just came out - it includes 4.12 as well.
If you're worried about upgrading, you can download and boot from the Live CD to see if it works any better without affecting your current install.

Board footer