Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-22 10:30:13

physkets
Website

Synaptics feature request

Hi

When I used to use Windows on my laptop, the Synaptics settings had an option which if selected, made it so that the cursor could be given an impulse swipe and it would move, decelerating to a stop, without your finger retaining contact with the touch pad. This is very convenient, especially with a large screen.

Do you think it is possible for xf86-input-synaptics to get this feature?

Thanks!

Last edited by physkets (2016-05-23 04:05:53)

#2 2016-05-22 15:56:26

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Synaptics feature request

Mine does that by default if I change "Scrolling Mode" to "Edge Scrolling" in Settings Manager > Mouse and Touchpad > set Device=SynPS/2 > Touchpad tab. Then I can swipe the edge and get the functionality you describe.

What version of Xfce are you using? Which distro?

Do you have xf86-input-libinput installed as well?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-05-23 16:14:37

physkets
Website

I think you misunderstood. The feature I am referring to is called 'Momentum' in the Synaptics settings in Windows. You will see it at 0:25 here: https://youtu.be/jYPu6vBdOgg  It is the option under the 'Pointing' section.

What this does is that you may impart an acceleration to the  pointer if your finger leaves the touchpad without stopping, on the touchpad.

Xfce version: 4.12 distributed by Arch linux
Distro: Manjaro

No, I do not have xf86-input-libinput installed. Should I? How does it help?

Thanks!

#4 2016-05-31 14:40:11

kazakore

Mine does this (continues to scroll after releasing the finger off the touchpad) and has done on both XFCE based Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04.

#5 2016-05-31 17:05:51

physkets
Website

It is not scrolling that I am talking about. It is the mouse pointer itself that i am referring to. 'Momentum' is a synaptics feature where you can execute a flick on the touchpad and the pointer continues to move for about a second or two after your finger lost contact with the touchpad, and decelerates to a stop.

This is very useful in laptops with small touchpads and/or large screens.

Board footer