Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-18 10:30:30

jonthemaker

GCC on Xfce

Hello everyone,
I am very new to all things Linux. I'm very interested in learning to programme micro-controllers. I thought I would use an old PC in the shed. I have set it up with openSUSE 3.2 and Xfce. I want to use the C compiler 'GCC'. I had a look around on Xfce and found it listed with its supporting software in YaST. I selected it, clicked Apply, got a message to insert disk #1 so I put the DVD in that I had used to load and install OpenSUSE and Xfce. clicked apply on the message box but only got error messages. So, I'm guessing it is not on that DVD or I'm doing it completely wrong. Can any one offer some assistance? or point me in a better direction. If you can, please make it simple to understand, As I say, I am completely new to this. Thank you so much, Jon

#2 2016-03-18 10:41:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: GCC on Xfce

Hello and welcome.

clicked apply on the message box but only got error messages. So, I'm guessing it is not on that DVD or I'm doing it completely wrong.

Possibly, but it depends on what the exact error message is. It could be the result of some other problems as well.

Regardless, the question you are asking isn't really about Xfce, but rather about opensuse and it's software management processes. Have a read through chapter 9 of the official opensuse documentation to get a better understanding of how it manages its software and software repositories.

Since this is more of an opensuse than Xfce question, you might get better assistance in fixing this issue by asking over at the opensuse forums.

And btw, welcome to Linux as well.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-03-18 11:09:30

jonthemaker

Thank you TOZ, I will go and read chapter 9, Understand now how this isn't an Xfce issue.

I feel the cloud of MS opening up to reveal a but of Linux sunshine..Thank you so much. Jon

#4 2016-03-18 20:03:28

MountainDewManiac

Maybe OpenSUSE is - or was, at one time - available on a set of CDs, and to make it fit on a single (and single-layer?) DVD they had to drop a few things? Open source things sometimes get developed by multiple people and things might slip through the cracks unless/until someone informs the project developers (as they generally don't have a huge testing department).

Regardless, I would guess that what you are looking for is available in your distro's online file repositories. This is just a guess, though.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2016-05-25 14:22:36

jserink

jonthemaker wrote:

Hello everyone,
I am very new to all things Linux. I'm very interested in learning to programme micro-controllers. I thought I would use an old PC in the shed. I have set it up with openSUSE 3.2 and Xfce. I want to use the C compiler 'GCC'. I had a look around on Xfce and found it listed with its supporting software in YaST.

That's why I dumped Suse years ago...you end up learning Yast and not Unix.
If you want to go full bore, you have two choices:
1. Linux From scratch,
2. gentoo.

Linux from scratch has no package management so you have to do lots of secretarial work with your install.
Gentoo has portage which largely takes care of that for you.

In Gentoo you compile everything from source so gcc is one of the first things installed.
If you want to program and learn, that would be my suggestion. Its not the only way to do it but it works for me.

John

Board footer