Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-27 18:52:38

mabra

Request/wish for a better terminal emulation

Hi !

I just recognized, that I have to install the "gnome-terminal" because it is the only one, which has different
profiles. This is really a neccessity, because if one temporary changes the font-size to be 8pt, all xfce
term would become that small .....

Further: Waht would be great, if one can have the terminal id in the header. I have just about 60 terms
running in about 10 different workspaces and found a "running horse" via "ps -ef". Ok, well, there are
too many of the same type and I need really to walk trough all workspaces and look for the term which
may caue it ....

And I am from that type, that the most (ok, not all) of my terms get a title after I open it.

Hope, I made this clear.

Regards,
Manfred

#2 2016-05-28 00:02:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Request/wish for a better terminal emulation

mabra wrote:

Hi !

I just recognized, that I have to install the "gnome-terminal" because it is the only one, which has different
profiles. This is really a neccessity, because if one temporary changes the font-size to be 8pt, all xfce
term would become that small .....

You can create an enhancement request in the bug tracker. I thought one already existed, but I can't find anything.

Further: Waht would be great, if one can have the terminal id in the header. I have just about 60 terms
running in about 10 different workspaces and found a "running horse" via "ps -ef". Ok, well, there are
too many of the same type and I need really to walk trough all workspaces and look for the term which
may caue it ....

And I am from that type, that the most (ok, not all) of my terms get a title after I open it.

Hope, I made this clear.

You can add a terminal id to the title. In the terminal preferences, in the "Initial Title" box, you can enter some special tokens. One of these is terminal id. To do so, add the token "%#" in the title somewhere. For example, "Terminal-%#" in the Initial Title section will display "Terminal-1" in the terminal title (assuming Dynamically Set isn't set to Replace).
term.png
term2.pngterm30.png

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-08-08 00:25:16

mabra

Hi !

Completely overseen your reply - sorry, don't know why!

Your hint has really the right intend - I have not seen a terminal-id in the title properties. I use the titles extensively.
And indeed, this is now more easy to find in the window-list (I use this plugin to be able to see term/app from all workspaces).
I just tried it, but it has not the intended effect. I have probably not even looked too deeep into this problem and see it now:
Thats because ALL 'xfce-terminal' run as ONE process - really ugly !
So, even having the terminal-id now, I can not kill that term!
This explains the 'wonder' that I missed terminal ids in 'ps':

root      9559  9542  0 Aug05 ?        00:00:45 xfce4-terminal --geometry=162x54 --display :10.0 --role=xfce4
-terminal-1470388514-466909470 --show-menubar --show-borders --hide-toolbar --working-directory /ops
 --window --geometry=119x49 --display :10.0 --role=xfce4-terminal-1470388389--1326930118 --show-menubar
 --show-borders --hide-toolbar --working-directory /ops --window --geometry=100x32 --display :10.0 --role=
xfce4-terminal-1470044231--1147493387 --show-menubar --show-borders --hide-toolbar --working-directory /ops --

Note the questionmark behind the month and note, that I've cut the output dramatically: This were
about 20 lines in my ssh console ...

My statement about the gnome-terminals stems from another, older setup. I tried the gnome-terminal shortly,
but removed it immidiately because they removed the ability to set a title .... (ok, probably, I was too blind ??).

The I went to 'konsole', which give me one process for each. But the reason I came to it, was the inability of all other consoles
to leave a marked text marked, if I open another console. So, I use consoles sometimes, to compare their output. Mostly
bad: If you mark text in one console, the marked text from the other/second console will disappear .... Konsole
was the only one, which makes this right (and has profiles).

BTW, I registered for the wiki some days ago - I'll really make some entries in the wishlist ...

Thanks for your help and
beste regards,

Manfred

#4 2016-08-08 00:45:58

ToZ
Administrator

Thats because ALL 'xfce-terminal' run as ONE process - really ugly !

If you "--disable-server", it will run that terminal in a different process. For example:

xfce4-terminal --disable-server --title "MyTerm1"

...leading to:

$ ps -ef | grep terminal
toz       6194  5977  0 Aug05 tty1     00:00:16 xfce4-terminal
toz      23330  6199  4 20:44 pts/0    00:00:00 xfce4-terminal --disable-server --title MyTerm1

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-08-08 03:03:11

mabra

Hi !

Thanks for your quick reply.
Is there aglobal settings for this ? Mostly, my terms are started from the UI, so entering
your given commandline each times, looks not too good ...
I tried it and it works - just for the one term.

Thanks,
Manfred

#6 2016-08-08 04:47:53

MountainDewManiac

mabra wrote:

Mostly, my terms are started from the UI, so entering
your given commandline each times, looks not too good ...
I tried it and it works - just for the one term.

Can't you write a script for this, make it executable, and run it as any other application? (I am assuming that, by "UI," you mean GUI and, therefore, do not wish to have to type the command in a terminal window. If that is not what you mean and my suggestion is not helpful then please disregard it.)

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2016-08-08 10:40:13

mabra

Hi,

and thanks! Yes I mean the GUI - I'll just use the usual way: Go to the menu in xfce and click 'terminal'.

Regards,
Manfred

#8 2016-08-08 12:43:32

ToZ
Administrator

Go to the menu in xfce and click 'terminal'.

Copy the /usr/share/xfce4-terminal.desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications/xfce4-terminal.desktop (create the applications folder if it doesn't already exist), and edit that file changing:

Exec=xfce4-terminal

...to read:

Exec=xfce4-terminal --disable-server

This will override the packaged desktop file with your own custom one that specifies that "--disable-server" should always be run when clicking on the Terminal icon.

If you want something added to the GUI via preferences itself, you'll need to create an enhancement request at the bug tracker.

Board footer