Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-10 22:02:44

ineuw

Thunar pasting is not possible with the mouse

Using the top Menu's Edit/Paste works, but when I copy or move a file, or a folder from one location to another folder, the mouse's the context menu 'Paste' disappears  because Thunar automatically highlights an existing item. The only option is available is 'Paste into folder'. How can one paste an object into a folder using the mouse's context menu?

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#2 2016-06-11 04:12:57

MountainDewManiac

Re: Thunar pasting is not possible with the mouse

It works here when I try to paste into a directory which is not so full that it fills the screen with its files. When I switched to a directory that had too many files for that to work, I hit CTRL-1 to switch to the icon view; at that point, I was able to paste via the right-click menu. But, since simply hitting CTRL-V works either way, even with the detailed view and enough files to fill the screen, it hardly seems worth the bother. Nor does reaching for the mouse in order to right-click, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2016-06-11 06:16:45

ineuw

Thanks MDM, you confirmed that I am not that crazy. This is a shortcoming of Thunar. I also know that when the directory has empty space, it's possible to use the mouse context menu to paste.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#4 2016-06-11 19:11:07

MountainDewManiac

I found another way to "paste" a file into a directory in Thunar. I thought to myself, "I can drag and drop a file into the directory of my choice in the side pane(l), maybe I can do the same with the right-click paste." I tried it, but it did not work (no option in context menu). And then I thought to change the side pane from "shortcuts" to the directory tree - and the option appeared in the context menu when right-clicking on one of those directories.

So if you use the file/directory tree option for the side pane, it works.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#5 2016-06-13 07:55:22

ineuw

Hi MDM, Sorry for the delay in replying. I always used the tree view option, and to be clear, pasting into the right side when it's in detailed view is the problem. Thunar needs a clear white space area, something that Windows Explorer has resolved decades ago. If one switches the view to icons, or compact list, then pasting is not a problem. What a bummer. And I am sure we are not the only ones frustrated.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#6 2016-06-13 08:29:56

MountainDewManiac

ineuw wrote:

What a bummer. And I am sure we are not the only ones frustrated.

Actually, we aren't frustrated, lol, because I don't believe I have ever had any reason to actually use the "paste" option in the right-click context menu. I don't generally have a need to copy a file from one directory to another on the same partition, and moving a file is easy to do - and there are a few ways to accomplish that. I just tried a few things in order to see if I could figure out anything that would help you.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer