Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-26 05:47:57

amit_27

Volume change noticiation not displaying on screen.

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie, and I have just installed Linux mint with xfce about a week ago.

I am no longer being notified of volume change notification on the screen when I am using volume up/volume down/mute keys on the keyboard. However, the audio/sound do function and volume levels do change, but it is no longer displaying that on the screen.

Usually it used to also make a beep when raising or decreasine the volume, that has also stopped.

I am not sure what needs to be done. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 2016-06-26 09:56:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Volume change noticiation not displaying on screen.

Depending on the version of Xfce you are using, you may need to have installed and running either xfce4-volumed or xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin. Both will provide volume change notifications.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-06-27 06:39:40

amit_27

Hi,

I have installed both xfce4-volumed or xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, but  the issue still exists. I am running xfce 4.12. When I go to /usr/share/mint-artwork-cinnamon/sounds/ I can see all the sound effects, all the sounds are there. But, they are no longer functioning when I test them using sound prefrences from the panel. But, I can play the sound when I open each sound indvidually using VLC.

I miss not not having the sound indcator and all the sound effects that were there, like when I maxmized a window. However, all the sound effects and volume indicator  work fine when I log into Mint Cinnamon, so the issue only exists in xfce.

I may add that this only happened after I installed 2D desktop for xfce, because I remotely wanted to access the computer. So, ever since then, sound effects, and volume indicator has stopped working. Not sure if there's a way to bring normal Mint xfce without losing anything.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by amit_27 (2016-06-27 06:44:46)

#4 2016-06-27 10:10:26

Jerry3904

Is "Enable event sounds" checked on All Settings > Appearance > Settings tab?

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2016-06-27 10:22:07

ToZ
Administrator

amit_27 wrote:

I am no longer being notified of volume change notification on the screen when I am using volume up/volume down/mute keys on the keyboard.

I miss not not having the sound indcator and all the sound effects that were there, like when I maxmized a window.

These are two different things.

Volume Change Indicator

I have installed both xfce4-volumed or xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin

You should only install and use one of them. Once it is installed, it also needs to be running. For xfce4-volumed, make sure it shows up in your process list. If you are using xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin instead, make sure it is added to your panel and in it's properties, make sure that "show notifications when volume changes" is selected.

Sound Effects
See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8618

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer