Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-04 05:46:39

John_Jason_Jordan

Thunar won't keep more than one window open

Xubuntu 14.04.

This started happening just today. No changes or updates have been applied recently. I usually have two Thunar windows open, sometimes more (for dragging and dropping). I can open a second window but after 30 seconds or so it disappears from the desktop. This never happened before.

Has anyone else experienced this? What could be causing it? Suggestions for fixes?

Linguistics on Linux!

#2 2016-07-04 17:16:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar won't keep more than one window open

Does it disappear if it sits there idle, or only during drag/drop (and possibly rename) operations?

What version of Thunar are you running? The default for 14.04 is 1.6.3, but there are bug reports for 1.6.10 with respect to crashes during drag/drop and rename operations.

Is there anything in your ~/.xsession-errors log file when thunar disappears?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-07-04 19:39:19

John_Jason_Jordan

Re: Thunar won't keep more than one window open

First, sorry, I should have said what version. It is 1.6.3. I should know better than to post late at night. sad

I should also have made it clear that it does not always crash completely, that is, I have one window open, then I open a second window, and the second window disappears in under a minute, but the first window remains. Yet, having said that, when I went to bed last night I had one window open (because that is all that would stay open), and this morning it was gone, i.e., it must have crashed completely overnight. This morning I restarted it, including two windows, and they are both still open several hours later.

I should add that the window disappearance never happens during a drag and drop or rename. I only mentioned drag and drop as an explanation for why I usually have two windows open. Drag and drop or rename seems to be unrelated.

I checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see nothing suspicious. It's a little hard to read that file because it doesn't list date and time, just numbers like [    15.078].

Since two windows open seems to be working now I am assuming that whatever problem Thunar was having lat night was resolved when it crashed and I restarted it this morning. Crossing fingers. smile

Linguistics on Linux!

Board footer