Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-30 11:54:33

MoonKid

[Thunar] mountable samba-shares not shown

I am using Siduction (Debian unstable) with XFCE.

I have mount-points for my NAS-shars. For example a line from my /etc/fstab

//MYNAS/Backup /mnt/Sparky/Backup cifs rw,credentials=/home/user/.cred_mynas_backup,noauto 0 0

In the past when I used KDE with Dolphin. Dolphin showed me all that samba shares in the left view. When I clicked on them they where automaticly mounted (by Dolphin I think).

I can not see something like that when using Thunar. Isn't it possible with Thunar or do I make something wrong?

IS there another easy way to mount that shares at that time when I need them without using a terminal?

#2 2016-07-30 14:48:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Thunar] mountable samba-shares not shown

Thunar doesn't work exactly like Dolphin. You can manually mount smb shares by entering smb://location/share into the location input field and you will be prompted for your credentials. On successful authentication, the share will show up in the Network section. You can also use autofs to auto mount your shares and and create bookmarks to the mounted folders in the Places section of thunar.

IS there another easy way to mount that shares at that time when I need them without using a terminal?

Gigolo is an Xfce tool that is used to manage network shares. Its what I use to keep track of all of my network shares. Once mounted, the shares will show up in Thunar in the Network section.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-07-31 11:59:25

Morbius1

Re: [Thunar] mountable samba-shares not shown

//MYNAS/Backup /mnt/Sparky/Backup cifs rw,credentials=/home/user/.cred_mynas_backup,noauto 0 0

If you make two changes to your line in fstab I think you will get what you want:

** Change the mount point to something under /media ... as in /media/Sparky/Backup.
** Add another option: user

//MYNAS/Backup /media/Sparky/Backup cifs rw,credentials=/home/user/.cred_mynas_backup,noauto,user 0 0

Two different processes will be in play here:

** By placing the mount point under /media a udisk response is induced that displays the mount point on the side panel of Thunar.
** The user option allows an ordinary user to mount and then unmount the share.

What you end up with is a "link" on the side panel that is actionable. Click on it and it will mount the share per the fstab instructions. Right click on it and it will unmount the share.

Think of it as a poor-man's version of AutoFS ....... without the timeout function.

Last edited by Morbius1 (2016-07-31 12:00:16)

Board footer