Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-04 21:33:25

paul1149

Enlarge size of window button icons in the panel?

Does anyone know how to enlarge the size of the icons on the panel's window buttons? I find them too small, and spend a lot of time straining to read them. If I widen the panel it automatically jumps to two rows, leaving the icons and text (which I'd also like to enlarge) unchanged. I've come across some discussion of this on the Web, but no one had a solution that worked.

Increasing the height of the panel changes some things, like the clock face, but not the window buttons. At some point they jump to a double row, but the same size all the while.

I'm on XFCE 4.12 on Linux Lite 3.0 (ubuntu 16.04) x64.

Thanks,
Paul

MX19 Linux (debian buster) x64; Xfce 4.14.1; C2D; 2.8ghz; 6GB RAM; SSD.

#2 2016-08-05 01:50:39

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Enlarge size of window button icons in the panel?

To stop the panel plugin from creating rows, you need to increase the value of max-button-size. By default it will create a second row when the size reaches 50. To do so, add the following snippet to ~/.gtkrc-2.0:

style "my-xfce-tasklist-style"
{
    XfceTasklist::max-button-size = 64
}
class "XfceTasklist" style "my-xfce-tasklist-style"

...and change the value (64) to suit. The number will represent the panel size at which the next row is added.

To change the size of the window buttons label font, add the following to ~/.gtkrc-2.0:

style "my-xfce-tasklist-font"
{
    font_name = "Droid Sans 14"
}
widget "*tasklist*" style "my-xfce-tasklist-font"

...change the font name and size to suit.

However, the icon size cannot be currently changed. There is this bug report. The code will have to be enhanced. There are patches circulating around like this one (last patch in the bunch) if you're willing to live dangerously.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-08-05 01:55:40

paul1149

Re: Enlarge size of window button icons in the panel?

Toz, thanks much for such excellent, comprehensive information. I really appreciate you putting it together. I will try the font mod, and probably will leave the icons for now. I'll get back when I have results.

BW,
Paul

MX19 Linux (debian buster) x64; Xfce 4.14.1; C2D; 2.8ghz; 6GB RAM; SSD.

Board footer