Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-06 16:32:23

Maki

[Solution found] xfce4-screenshooter help: Change default filenames?

Hello!

My main problem with xfce4-screenshooter has always been how to change the default filename used by the program.
Every new install of a Linux system with xfce4-screenshooter (First Crunchbang, now BunsenLabs) I run into this issue.
And every new install I forget to write down how to do it once I find it, so I am, once again, in need to figure this out.

How does xfce4-screenshooter decide what the default filename is, why is there no easy-to-find configuration option for this, and where can I change this system-wide as I have in the past?

Trust me that an answer will finally be written down by me this time, as I am getting a little annoyed with my own inability to remember this from one install into the next.

Maki wrote:

Debian Stable has version 1.8.1-5
Debian Testing has version 1.8.2-2

The new version applies the default filename I prefer.

(I would still like a configuration option for this in the future... but it works as I expected now, with version 1.8.2-2.)

Last edited by Maki (2016-08-06 22:13:06)

#2 2016-08-06 17:09:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solution found] xfce4-screenshooter help: Change default filenames?

Hello and welcome.

There are two settings available that you can add to xfce4-screenshooter config file (~/.config/xfce4/xfce4-screenshooter) that will allow you to change the default filename:

title=<YOUR_TITLE_HERE>
timestamp=<TRUE_OR_FALSE>

The title parameter will change the first part of the filename (defaults to "Screenshot") and the second will turn on or off the appending of the timestamp after the filename.

If you turn off the timestamp, the program is smart enough to append a -1, -2, -3, etc to the end of the filename, if a file exists with that name already.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-08-06 21:55:57

Maki

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

There are two settings available that you can add to xfce4-screenshooter config file (~/.config/xfce4/xfce4-screenshooter) that will allow you to change the default filename:

title=<YOUR_TITLE_HERE>
timestamp=<TRUE_OR_FALSE>

The title parameter will change the first part of the filename (defaults to "Screenshot") and the second will turn on or off the appending of the timestamp after the filename.

If you turn off the timestamp, the program is smart enough to append a -1, -2, -3, etc to the end of the filename, if a file exists with that name already.

My problem is mainly that the timestamp right now defaults to something along the lines of PHP date()'s MMDDYYYY - hh:mm:ss AA.
This leads to the following example filename: Screenshot - 08062016 - 11:51:08 PM.png

I would like to change this to YYYY-MM-DD_HH-mm-ss to have the screenshot naming change to the following: Screenshot_2016-08-06_23-51-08.png

I have done so in the past, but I keep forgetting -how- I did such. I'm kind of trying to figure that out again since I can't for the life of me find an example of how I did it, and seem to have misplaced my own notes about it (or may have never written them).

On a laptop I have, the mentioned file (~/.config/xfce4/xfce4-screenshooter) only reads the following:

delay=1
region=3
action=1
show_mouse=0
screenshot_dir=file:/home/USR/Images
app=viewnior
last_user=

Unfortunately that means I must have changed this somewhere else, and have no Earthly clue where, or how.

#4 2016-08-06 22:10:00

Maki

Thanks to a friend of mine I found the way I did it in the past; I updated xfce4-screenshooter to the most recent version.

Debian Stable has version 1.8.1-5
Debian Testing has version 1.8.2-2

The new version applies the default filename I prefer.

(I would still like a configuration option for this in the future... but it works as I expected now, with version 1.8.2-2.)

#5 2016-08-07 02:03:50

MountainDewManiac

Maki wrote:

most recent version

It looks like there is at least a version 1.8.2-3 (unless this version is a custom-patched one specifically for Arch and not an official Xfce release?):

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/xfce4-screenshooter/

In any case, I do not know whether or not it has the configuration option that you wish for; I did not see a changelog to read on that webpage. And I do not have the foggiest notion how to make heads or tails out of:

https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-screenshooter/

which might (I really am not sure of this, either) actually be the proper location of the newest official Xfce version.

You might wish to join the Xfce developers' email list and put forth your wish as a suggestion. I, myself, am not overly troubled by what this app calls its screenshots as long as they are properly time/datestamped - but the developer might decide that such an option would be useful to users and, perhaps, an easy enough thing to implement. Or maybe not, I don't know.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2016-08-07 02:11:04)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer