Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-03 22:37:30

dtd

[Solved] mousepad broken

To be fair - I did it. I deleted .config/dconf/user; removed and reinstalled mousepad. I did this because I was impatient (okay dumb) and did not post a question first. But here am I. What does not work: (1) the display font is fixed as the system default; (2) Document-->Filetype does not work.

I did a global update, so all components from Xorg --> xfce --> all other stuff are as new as the FreeBSD package system has to offer. I think it is clear that deleting .config/dconf/user was fatal or caused some other underlying file to be deleted but I can not find what that is.

Starting mousepad from the cli yields:

(mousepad:1270): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_style_scheme_get_id: assertion 'GTK_IS_SOURCE_STYLE_SCHEME (scheme)' failed
  (mousepad:1270): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
  (mousepad:1270): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_style_scheme_get_id: assertion 'GTK_IS_SOURCE_STYLE_SCHEME (scheme)' failed
  (mousepad:1270): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

#2 2015-04-03 23:37:53

sonycdr

Re: [Solved] mousepad broken

Man, if am not mistaken you are ***ked, you need to set everything that depend on dconf/user.
And in this case, the easiest would be to start over with a new profile which you will import essential configuration files

Last edited by sonycdr (2015-04-04 00:08:22)

#3 2015-04-04 19:20:04

dtd

If I had been more measured, I would have renamed dconf/user. But mousepad would not reinstall showing the menubar. I did not know at the time about the gtk3 command. As far as I can tell mousepad losing the ability to change fonts and do file-type highlighting is the only consequence. All other gnome related and base xfce applications are not effected.

I looked at a couple of older copies of the file (backups from the workstation in question) and on two other laptop. I believe xfce recreated dconf/user just fine. The mousepad issue is, I think, due to the state of my xfce. Before another issue I had the gtk2 based mousepad and in fixing that it got updated to the gtk3 version. From the outside mousepad had 'lost' some files used to inferface with font selection. I have no theory as to the highlighting.

I was hoping someone with gtk/xfce internals knowledge might be able to point me to something to try from the error messages. The background was simply to make clear this is a self-inflected wound.

#4 2015-05-14 18:38:48

dtd

I am marking this as solved because there is no apparent solution. I note in passing that your can configure SciTe to start and essentially be mousepad, e.g. a clean almost notepad editor to use on one-time stuff.  Also I think it clear that mousepad is written as an xfce only application as uninstalling and reinstalling it has no affect on the problem.

#5 2015-05-14 18:59:36

ToZ
Administrator

dtd wrote:

Mousepad requires the package gtksourceview2 or gtksourceview3 (depending on whether it is gtk2 or gtk3 compiled) to do source highlighting. Are those installed?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2015-06-29 17:29:52

madjxatw

gktsourceview are installed but still with the error message. Could not set fonts.

#7 2015-06-29 20:39:17

ToZ
Administrator

Which version(s) of gtksourceview? 2 and/or 3?
Was your mousepad package compiled with GTK2 or GTK3 libraries?

Also, to be able to change fonts, make sure that "Use system monospace font" option is unchecked in Edit >> Preferences >> View tab.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2016-09-03 16:25:52

dennis74

Simple solution:

Choose a colorscheme in the (with sudo started) mousepad, for example Classic

Then the errors won't reappear

Board footer