Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-07 15:43:03

yochaigal

[FIXED] "Ugly" tray icons

Recently, I've noticed that some icons in my tray are ugly.
Examples of ugly and nice looking tray:

Ugly

Nice

Both Insync and SpiderOakONE look ugly on start; if I re-open them they look OK for a time. I've tried killing my compositor (Compton) but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this a problem with libappindicator1?

I'm running Arch Linux 64bit with XFCE 4.12 with Compton.
Thanks

Edit: Turns out it's a Qt problem with XFCE. Fixed by changing max icon size to 22 in notification area preferences.

Last edited by yochaigal (2016-09-14 13:33:00)

#2 2016-07-07 17:24:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [FIXED] "Ugly" tray icons

yochaigal wrote:

Recently, I've noticed that some icons in my tray are ugly.

Do you mean that all was fine until just recently? If so, can you recall when the problem started happening and look at your /var/log/pacman.log file to find out which packages were updated then?

Both Insync and SpiderOakONE look ugly on start;

Both applications appear to be in the AUR. Try re-installing them.

if I re-open them they look OK for a time.

Do they suddenly switch back to the ugly icons, or does it only happen on start?

I've tried killing my compositor (Compton) but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Try disabling compton and re-enable the xfwm4 compositor. Log out and back in again. Does the problem persist?

Is this a problem with libappindicator1?

Are those icons in the "Notification Area" plugin or the "Indicator Plugin"? If they are in the Indicator plugin, then yes, its possible. If you are only using the Notification Area, then no, I don't think so.

One other thing you can try when the ugly icons appear, is restart the panel:

xfce4-panel -r

...to see if it helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-08-06 13:20:42

yochaigal

I apologize, I wasn't subscribed to this post! Thanks for replying.

They didn't have this issue until recently (a month ago now). I don't think I'll find much from the package history though, it's been a bit too long now.

I've reinstalled both apps. I've used the built-in compositor. The apps are in the notification area, yes. If I restart the panel, the problem goes away temporarily.

#4 2016-08-06 17:25:29

ToZ
Administrator

I'm not sure I know why that is happening to you. I've installed insync on my computer, and its been running fine for a while now (also Arch 64bit). The fact that it runs fine for you when the panel is started but changes over time seems to suggest that some sort of icon change or refresh is happening that is causing this.

Which icon theme are you using? Have you tried changing it?
Also which appearance theme are you using and have you tried changing it as well?

Have you noticed what causes the change to the icon? Does it always happen after an upload or a sync event?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-08-06 17:56:28

yochaigal

I've tried a bunch of different themes & fonts - Greybird, Numix, Adwaita, etc. Seems to happen with all of them.
I've got to other Arch installs also running these two apps, and the problem does not occur. They have all the same theme, I think. It doesn't seem to get triggered by anything that I can tell.

#6 2016-08-06 20:11:18

MountainDewManiac

yochaigal wrote:

If I restart the panel, the problem goes away temporarily.

By that, do you mean for a certain period of time while you're using your computer and then they revert(?) to something you do not want while you are still using your computer - or do you mean the problem goes away until you reboot/restart/log out and back in?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2016-08-06 20:15:29

yochaigal

Yeah, it is nice for a while, then gets ugly and stays that way until I logout/reboot.

#8 2016-09-14 13:31:29

yochaigal

Fixed!

http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8451 - Thanks XFCE forums!

Basically, set the maximum icon size to "22" for the notification area.

#9 2018-09-19 12:26:10

ValPaliy

Hi all,
My first post here. Sorry for resurrecting the thread.
Even an easier fix is to set a background that's mostly black. Can be used alongside the 22px hack mentioned by yochaigal
Have a great day!

Board footer