Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-22 02:54:20

pauljohn32

Configure Alt-middle_click behavior?

Currently, Alt-middle_click causes a window to go to the bottom of the stack.  I often hit Alt-middle on a new touchpad and I'd rather not have that window go to bottom.

I wrote out a question on AskUbuntu about this and have not gotten any answers:  "configure mouse buttons in xfce4"  http://askubuntu.com/questions/821940/c … s-in-xfce4

I'll paste in same to save you trouble of going there, but if you want to answer there, it is fine with me:

In Ubuntu 16.04, I use XFCE4 on a Dell Precision 5510 laptop. How to configure mouse+keyboard settings?

I want to change the Alt+middle mouse button behavior, which currently sends the clicked-on window to the bottom of the stack. I'd like to change this in both an external mouse but especially in the touchpad. I'd like to know how to alter all key+mouse combinations, but if I could only alter that one, I'd be a happy guy.

I have found 3 sets of configurations that affect the window manager, but none allow me to edit the mouse button/key modifier combinations. In the Settings panel, I see

Window Manger
    Keyboard
    Settings Editor

There's a very nice summary of XFCE settings for keyboard here https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=212982 It has pointers to the configurators I mentioned. In the past, I've found ways to fiddle these settings in KDE, Compiz, and Gnome. But the XFCE4 is more difficult.

##########

I'd also like to know how to eliminate "top panel" resistance, it is fighting me from re-positioning windows with Alt-left_drag window re-positioning. If that's unrelated, I can start new question.

#2 2016-09-22 13:45:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Configure Alt-middle_click behavior?

It looks like xfwm4 is hard-coded to lower the window when clicking on the window title bar with the middle button. You'll need to change the source code if you want to change the behaviour.

I'd also like to know how to eliminate "top panel" resistance, it is fighting me from re-positioning windows with Alt-left_drag window re-positioning. If that's unrelated, I can start new question.

What exactly do you mean by resistance? What are you trying to accomplish? When you move the window up towards the panel, it will resist briefly at the panel border. If this is the resistance you are talking about and you want to eliminate it, select "Don't reserve space..." in the Panel's properties. However, this will let the window go underneath the panel then.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-09-25 03:00:18

pauljohn32

Thanks. If you hint me toward which part of the source code I need to edit, I don't mind. I'll check xfwm4 source, but not sure where to look. 

I expect answer to other question will point back there.

About the top resistance, I've already turned off the reserve space in the panel. But when I alt-left drag a window and try to move its top off the screen, I hit resistance when top of window hits the edge of the panel.  I've got the window manager property set so that window goes on top of the panel, not under as you expect: http://askubuntu.com/posts/817540/revisions. I realize this is an old fashioned way to use the window manager, but I'm pretty old smile

#4 2016-09-25 12:08:39

ToZ
Administrator

pauljohn32 wrote:

Thanks. If you hint me toward which part of the source code I need to edit, I don't mind. I'll check xfwm4 source, but not sure where to look. 

I expect answer to other question will point back there.

https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/tree/src/events.c#n928 - if you comment out this line, it will no longer respond to the Alt+middle-click.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-09-27 00:35:30

pauljohn32

Thanks, sincerely.

Board footer