Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-08 17:44:49

reset042

Can Thunar remember individual folder settings?

I'm new to XFCE and love the speed and interface. I've never been a fan of Nautilus, and so was pleased to try Thunar.

There's one very useful piece of functionality that all the various file managers I've used over the years in different OSs seem to have, but it looks like Thunar doesn't (I can't find it anyway!) namely: remembering individual folders' view settings.

Mostly I like folders to be sorted by name, but there are certain folders I access a lot which I find very helpful to be in date order. It's a bit time-consuming and seems odd to have to manually adjust this so many times a day, when computers can be so good at relieving users of drudges like this.

Is there a way to do this? Like a config file that can be edited and dropped into specific folders that Thunar can read?

#2 2014-08-13 06:45:02

negora

Re: Can Thunar remember individual folder settings?

I'd love that Thunar had a feature like this one. Indeed, there's a 7 years old feature request in XFCE's Bugzilla that asks for it indeed. It's here: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3521 .

Does anyone know if there's any plan to implement this? Would funding in Bountysource really help to have this implemented?

Thank you.

PS: The issue in Bountysource is here: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/354 … his-folder .

Last edited by negora (2014-08-13 07:03:12)

#3 2016-11-20 13:52:00

KitchM

Re: Can Thunar remember individual folder settings?

This is an important issue.  Thunar, if it is to be the display mechanism for directories, folders and files, should definitely have separate instances each time it is called by any means; whether opening it directly for general browsing purposes or double-clicking on a folder on the desktop to select a file within.  Secondarily, each folder should have display settings associated with it.  I would think that this would be trivial to implement, and I would add my support for this more fundamental idea and feature.

Thank you.

Board footer