Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-19 14:28:48

thebunnyrules

Random Thunar crashes during file/folder copy, move or rename

Hi guys,

Thunar has been crashing two or three times a day lately. It tends to happen mainly when I do some file / folder copy, move or rename operations.

I'm guessing you guys need some kind of log from me to help troubleshoot. What would you like me to put up?

#2 2016-12-19 14:47:55

thebunnyrules

Re: Random Thunar crashes during file/folder copy, move or rename

I found this Bugzilla thread that talks about exactly this, right here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1512120

Someone wrote, Hjudt-l (hjudt-l) post 18:

"
Created attachment 6530
0001-Deactivate-SEND_MOVED-code-paths.patch

For a start, deactivating the SEND_MOVED code paths seems to get rid of the crashes on my system with glib-2.46.2. Please try the patch attached and report back if it fixes the crashes for you too. Why this will not solve the real issue(s), it could give some clues where to look at.
"

Not exactly sure what he patched or where I could find he patch. Does anyone know?

#3 2016-12-19 15:36:35

alcornoqui

#4 2016-12-19 23:00:36

thebunnyrules

Thanks so much! It seems to be working so far. I'll update in a few days after having tested it more extensively.

For anyone that comes accross this post, the patch 6613 recommended in the link (http://tuxdiary.com/2016/06/10/fix-thun … mment-7667) did not work for me. That being said, I used the technique that the author taught on patch 6530 and that patch seems to be working great.

If you want to try the different patch, just replace the part of the tutorial that says:

wget http://bug-attachment.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=6613 -O Thunar.patch

with

wget http://bug-attachment.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=6530 -O Thunar.patch

#5 2016-12-20 11:36:03

thebunnyrules

Hey guys, I was just wondering, this bug's been around with a working patch since 2015. Is there a reason that the devs have chosen not to include the patch into Thunar?

#6 2016-12-20 13:12:00

ToZ
Administrator

First, a bit of history on this bug: The bug first became evident with a change to glib, not as a result of some thunar change. The glib library change exposed some sort of weakness in the thunar code that began causing issues with copy/paste and renaming of files (and possibly more issues?). The main bug report for this issue is here. If you have a quick read through the bug report, you'll see that a number of people have offered patches but the patches don't fix everyone's problems - which means that the bug is bigger and more complicated than is evident.

The patch that you used above mostly fixes the crashing for me ( I still get the odd crash, but very rarely). Until the exact cause and a comprehensive fix is found, the source code probably won't be patched. Add to this the fact that we don't currently have a full-time dedicated thunar developer, there isn't anyone available who can invest the time necessary to properly identify, test and patch the complexity of this bug.

So some distros apply one or more of the patches to the thunar package in their repositories while others stay true to the officially released upstream versions.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer