Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-15 09:33:27

Javarod
Website

Thunar feature request

Since there's no section for requests and suggests nor Thunar itself, I figure I'll throw this out here. I'll admit that my folder sorting is weird, as well as that I have no idea what it would take to make this change, but I figure it can't hurt to ask if for no other reason to learn.

So, with that out of the way, what would make Thunar better for me?
Including symbols in the sort. Thunar like most Linux file managers ignores • and @ and the like. I started using these characters to force folders to the top of the list and even group them by using • or ∆ and so on, and grouping folders from a specific website like DeviantArt by putting them in a folder named @DeviantArt.

I suppose I'm spoiled by coming from OS X which does this, as does Dolphin, Elementary and Deepin. They're exact sorting order is different, OS X does • @ 1 A, Elementary does @ 1 A • and Deepin 1 @ A • which is odd.

So, is there any chance this could come to Thunar? Obviously I could run a second file manager, Dolphin which is a KDE app or Deepin which seems to be a bit big for its limited features (Elementary doesn't seem to have a separate file manager?), but I'd much rather have just one file manager to keep things lean.

Seph
Taur10 LJ, Tel & Tum TaurTen Twit
Lenovo M700 tiny Manjaro XFCE • Lenovo N22 KiboJoe
I've always been crazy, but its kept me from going insane

#2 2016-12-15 11:27:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar feature request

Including symbols in the sort.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly. I just created the folders "@1", "@2", "*1", "*2", "1", "2". "A", and "B" and they sorted in that order (@ * 1 A) in Thunar. The @ and * folders showed up first in the directory list. If you play with LC_COLLATE (via "LC_COLLATE=c thunar"), you can get a different sort method (1 * @ A). Just make sure that the Thunar Daemon isn't running while you test this - it will re-use existing thunar instances instead of allowing you to change them on the fly. Google for more information on locales and specifically LC_COLLATE and how it can be used to change sort order.

Since there's no section for requests and suggests nor Thunar itself,

As an FYI, you can make enhancement requests to Xfce components over at the bug tracker. However, keep in mind that the focus is currently on GTK3 migration.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-12-15 11:39:49

Javarod
Website

ToZ wrote:

Including symbols in the sort.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly. I just created the folders "@1", "@2", "*1", "*2", "1", "2". "A", and "B" and they sorted in that order (@ * 1 A) in Thunar. The @ and * folders showed up first in the directory list. If you play with LC_COLLATE (via "LC_COLLATE=c thunar"), you can get a different sort method (1 * @ A). Just make sure that the Thunar Daemon isn't running while you test this - it will re-use existing thunar instances instead of allowing you to change them on the fly. Google for more information on locales and specifically LC_COLLATE and how it can be used to change sort order.

Any easier way to see what the problem is is to create the following folders: •Test, @Test, 1Test, Test, Gus which will result in an A-Z sort of 1Test, Gus, Test, @Test, •Test. If this were Deepin for example, you'd wind up with 1Test, @Test, Gus, Test, •Test  (and that's <bullet> not * in there, courtesy of using the Mac version of the US keyboard).

Hmmm, interesting idea, I'm definitely going to look into it.

Seph

#4 2016-12-15 14:04:49

ToZ
Administrator

Javarod wrote:

Any easier way to see what the problem is is to create the following folders: •Test, @Test, 1Test, Test, Gus which will result in an A-Z sort of 1Test, Gus, Test, @Test, •Test. If this were Deepin for example, you'd wind up with 1Test, @Test, Gus, Test, •Test  (and that's <bullet> not * in there, courtesy of using the Mac version of the US keyboard).

You can get Thunar to display in the same sort order as deepin using:

LC_COLLATE=c thunar

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-12-20 04:21:44

Javarod
Website

No dice, that spit out:

(process:13420): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.

Seph

#6 2016-12-20 08:10:56

ToZ
Administrator

Oops, typo. Should be:

LC_COLLATE=C thunar

...(capital C).

#7 2016-12-20 15:47:17

Javarod
Website

Nope, still not sorting it any different. I'll poke at this in the future and research it more when I have time, right now I'm fighting with FossaMail or more correctly the Lightning plug in

Seph

Board footer