Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-22 20:10:39

golinux

Phantom 10x10px image in upper LH corner

Recently, I noticed a 10x10px 'blob' in the upper LH corner of my screen.

titlebar_fragment.png

At first I thought something was stuck on the screen or that these were dead pixels.  But I know know that it is the rounded corner of the title bar of my browser.

When I do a full screen capture, it stays intact.  When I 'select a region', the square takes on the color of the region selected so 'disappears'!

When the square is the color of the Desktop gradient it remains on the titlebar:

phantom_anomaly.png

And when I select the region for that image it takes on the color of the titlebar:

phantom_anomaly2.png

This is a recent development.  What is going on?  Anyone have a clue?

#2 2017-01-22 23:56:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Phantom 10x10px image in upper LH corner

I saw this once before on my system and it turned out to be an artifact from a java program. Do you have any java programs running? If so, does it go away if close/kill them?

Then other thing you can do is run "xprop" in a terminal window, the cursor will turn into a cross and click on the artifact. See if xprop displays any information about it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-01-23 01:12:38

golinux

Thanks.  You're always so helpful. smile

ToZ wrote:

I saw this once before on my system and it turned out to be an artifact from a java program. Do you have any java programs running? If so, does it go away if close/kill them?

So . . . I am not alone!  That's reassuring . . . I try to avoid java but libre-office depends on some sort of java.

ToZ wrote:

Then other thing you can do is run "xprop" in a terminal window, the cursor will turn into a cross and click on the artifact. See if xprop displays any information about it.

Maybe you can see something in here?

~$ xprop
_NET_FRAME_EXTENTS(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 0
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE, _NET_WM_ACTION_ABOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_BELOW, _NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
		window state: Normal
		icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4294967295
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
		Client accepts input or input focus: True
		Initial state is Normal State.
		window id # of group leader: 0x1a00001
XdndAware(ATOM) = BITMAP
_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO(_MOTIF_DRAG_RECEIVER_INFO) = 0x6c, 0x0, 0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x10, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
_NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST_COUNTER(CARDINAL) = 27262981
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP
_NET_WM_USER_TIME_WINDOW(WINDOW): window id # 0x1a00004
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x1a00001
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 17194
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_US.UTF-8"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "devuan"
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified location: 0, 0
		program specified minimum size: 1280 by 1024
		program specified maximum size: 1280 by 1024
		window gravity: NorthWest
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS, _NET_WM_PING, _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xfdesktop", "Xfdesktop"
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "Desktop"
_NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Desktop"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Desktop"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Desktop"

#4 2017-01-23 01:18:56

ToZ
Administrator

Unfortunately no, thats just xfdesktop's properties.

Does changing your window manager theme have an effect?

Does "wmctrl -lvpx" show an unexpected application?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-01-23 01:58:03

golinux

ToZ wrote:

Unfortunately no, thats just xfdesktop's properties.

sad

ToZ wrote:

Does changing your window manager theme have an effect?

Unable to do that atm. A proposed devuan update seems to have removed the Settings > Appearance option from the main menu.  That could actually be the root of the problem.

ToZ wrote:

Does "wmctrl -lvpx" show an unexpected application?

I don't have that pkg installed.  Do I need it and why?

#6 2017-01-23 03:16:26

ToZ
Administrator

You can change the window manager theme from the command line using xfconf-query, like this:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/theme -s <THEME_NAME>

... where <THEME_NAME> is the name of a valid xfwm4 theme. It would rule out whether a bad xfwm theme is the cause (given that the artifact looks like part of the window title bar).

"wmctrl -lvpx" would show which windows are open. You can then go through the list to see if anything is there that maybe shouldn't be and can try killing that process. And yes, you need to install wmctrl, but its a pretty small and useful utility.

#7 2017-01-23 06:20:20

golinux

ToZ wrote:

You can change the window manager theme from the command line using xfconf-query, like this:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/theme -s <THEME_NAME>

... where <THEME_NAME> is the name of a valid xfwm4 theme. It would rule out whether a bad xfwm theme is the cause (given that the artifact looks like part of the window title bar).

"wmctrl -lvpx" would show which windows are open. You can then go through the list to see if anything is there that maybe shouldn't be and can try killing that process. And yes, you need to install wmctrl, but its a pretty small and useful utility.

Useful info to keep on file. I will probably install wmctrl too. Thanks.  Well, I downgraded from the 'proposed' xfce4-settings to stable, logged out and back in and the phantom square is gone . . . hopefully for good.  The theme settings interface is also back. Stable is called 'stable' for a reason.  wink

#8 2017-01-29 03:06:09

Magnus

This bug happens when running Java programs with the Xfwm compositor. It's been a while and it hasn't been fixed yet.

#9 2017-01-29 04:18:42

MountainDewManiac

Magnus wrote:

This bug happens when running Java programs with the Xfwm compositor. It's been a while and it hasn't been fixed yet.

Is it a bug with xfwm4? Or just shoddy coding in some Java apps? In other words... Does this behavior occur with every Java application?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer