Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-28 20:34:59

Pimpifax

Customized taskbar for each workspace possible?

I'm getting more and mor into Linux and i started to use the different workspaces. Now to my question is: is there a way to customize each taskbar for each workspace so that there would be different shortcuts on each taskbar? Instead of having globally all the same shortcuts.

Just for example:

Workspace 1: Firefox, Thunderbird, Transmission

Workspace 2: Writer, Calc, Gimp

Workspace 3: Gparted, USB-Maker, Application-Installer

The idea would be that i have one workspace with the applications i would use primarly for privat and another one i would use for work so that i could switch between them on the fly. Different user-accounts are not really an option for me because of the lack of userbiity by every time logging off/on/off/on/...

So does maybe anyone know a solution for my issue?

Last edited by Pimpifax (2017-03-28 20:36:45)

#2 2017-03-28 23:28:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Customized taskbar for each workspace possible?

There was a thread a while about this request. The information there is still valid including a script that you could use to provide a similar type functionality.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-03-29 05:40:46

k-3.14

Pity, jmrichardson did not share his experience with that script

"I will be testing this out and let you know how it goes."

One comment - a panel #0 does not show up here. First panel is #1 !? Xfce4.12 Debian Stretch

Just gave it a try with that script.

2 workspaces. panel1 at top, panel2 at bottom and panel3 on right side.

Get this message, when running that script

"kalle@nostromo:~$ ./panel_switcher
pswDEBUG: Locking succeeded
Die Eigenschaft »/panels/panel-2/autohide« ist in dem Kanal »xfce4-panel« nicht vorhanden. Um eine neue Eigenschaft anzulegen, bitte die Option --create« benutzen.
Die Eigenschaft »/panels/panel-2/autohide« ist in dem Kanal »xfce4-panel« nicht vorhanden. Um eine neue Eigenschaft anzulegen, bitte die Option --create« benutzen.
Die Eigenschaft »/panels/panel-3/autohide« ist in dem Kanal »xfce4-panel« nicht vorhanden. Um eine neue Eigenschaft anzulegen, bitte die Option --create« benutzen.
Die Eigenschaft »/panels/panel-3/autohide« ist in dem Kanal »xfce4-panel« nicht vorhanden. Um eine neue Eigenschaft anzulegen, bitte die Option --create« benutzen.
Die Eigenschaft »/panels/panel-2/autohide« ist in dem Kanal »xfce4-panel« nicht vorhanden. Um eine neue Eigenschaft anzulegen, bitte die Option --create« benutzen."

The property autohide does not exist, to create such a property, use the option --create ??

br

Last edited by k-3.14 (2017-03-29 06:58:44)

#4 2017-03-29 10:44:11

ToZ
Administrator

I think this was initially coded for Xfce 4.10. Try this updated script for 4.12:

#!/bin/bash
# The Poor Man's Panel Switcher solution (Xfce 4.12)
# Requires: wmctrl
# Make sure you edit the PANEL configuration parameters to suit.
# debug mode = bash -xv /path/to/psw 2>&1 | tee wspm.log

# make sure that only one instance of this script is running
lockfile=/tmp/.psw.lockfile
if ( set -o noclobber; echo "locked" > "$lockfile") 2> /dev/null; then
  	trap 'rm -f "$lockfile"; exit $?' INT TERM EXIT
  	echo "pswDEBUG: Locking succeeded" >&2

######### PANEL CONFIGURATION: EDIT THESE VALUES ######################################################
###																												
### WORKSPACE[x]=Panel Number					                                                        
###																										              
	WORKSPACE[1]=1													                        
	WORKSPACE[2]=2		
	WORKSPACE[3]=4													                        
	WORKSPACE[4]=3										                       
####################################################################################################

######### DO NOT EDIT BELOW #############################################################################
	CURRENT_WORKSPACE=$(($(wmctrl -d | grep \* | cut -d' ' -f1)+1))
   [[ $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$CURRENT_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior) ]] || xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$CURRENT_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior -n -t int -s 0
	xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$CURRENT_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior -s 0

while true
	do
		NEW_WORKSPACE=$(($(wmctrl -d | grep \* | cut -d' ' -f1)+1))	
		if [ $CURRENT_WORKSPACE -ne $NEW_WORKSPACE ]; then
			wmctrl -s $((($NEW_WORKSPACE)-1))
			# autohide the current workspace panel
			[[ $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$CURRENT_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior) ]] || xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$CURRENT_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior -n -t int -s 0
			xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$CURRENT_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior -s 2
			# unhide the new workspace panel
			[[ $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$NEW_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior) ]] || xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$NEW_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior -n -t int -s 0
			xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-${WORKSPACE[$NEW_WORKSPACE]}/autohide-behavior -s 0
			CURRENT_WORKSPACE=$NEW_WORKSPACE
		fi
	sleep 1
	done

rm -f "$lockfile"
else
  	echo "pswDEBUG: Lock failed - exit" >&2
  	exit 1
fi

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-03-29 14:48:44

k-3.14

+1

It works like a charm.

Can make a video and post it!?

br

#6 2017-03-29 15:19:06

Jerry3904

Late to the party, great script ToZ.

Different user-accounts are not really an option for me because of the lack of userbiity by every time logging off/on/off/on/...

There are simpler ways to do that:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8686

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#7 2017-03-29 16:29:45

Pimpifax

Thank you for trying to help me! The thing is auto-hide isn't really my cup of tea because of driving me mad all the time... ^^ But someone suggested me to try tint2. So that i'm still not that much aware of Linux in detail i have to figure out what this is and how to use it for first...

#8 2017-03-29 17:01:49

ToZ
Administrator

k-3.14 wrote:

+1

It works like a charm.

Can make a video and post it!?

br

Absolutely, lets see it in action.

#9 2017-03-29 17:38:12

k-3.14

A pleasure, but this is again vbox DEBIAN Jessie on my PCLinuxOS KDE4 host with a Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

IT IS WORKING, but switchover is dead slow ;-) Sorry.

https://youtu.be/coeLXfvcQj8

PS. As KDE5 is around the corner and I am NOT!! going that way, I am waiting for DEBIAN Stretch to be stable. Then DEBIAN with XFCE4.12 will be my host system ...

#10 2021-03-10 11:09:44

DavidB
Website

Hello,

I am a bit late to the party but I wanted so much to thank you for this script. It does exactly what I was looking for — setting up a different panel for each workspace, working fine on 4.16 if anyone is interested.

Thx, once again wink

Last edited by DavidB (2021-03-10 11:10:22)

Board footer