Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-02 21:09:21

Neckara

xfwm per window decoration (ssh -X)

Hi,

Currently I try to have a system similar to Qubes-OS (which is based on xfce) on a Debian Jessie with xfce 4.10 based on VirtualBox VMs :
I start a detached VM (Debian with xfce) and lauch applications on this VM from the host with "ssh -X" (VirtualBox seamless mode is not perfect). It seems that the theme used for the new window is the host's theme.

Now, I would like to differentiate host's windows from guest's windows (launched with "ssh -X" from the host). The guest's window's title ends with "(on guest hostname)".

Thus I seek to have different window decoration / theme for the two types of windows (host and guest). However, I have no idea how to do that and I am not sure that xfwm allows per windows themes.

Do you have some idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Neckara (2017-04-02 21:11:42)

#2 2017-04-03 00:59:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfwm per window decoration (ssh -X)

Neckara wrote:

It seems that the theme used for the new window is the host's theme.

That's the way it's supposed to work. The local window manager will manage all of the windows.

Thus I seek to have different window decoration / theme for the two types of windows (host and guest). However, I have no idea how to do that and I am not sure that xfwm allows per windows themes.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-04-03 05:27:13

Neckara

ToZ wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible.

But is there some kind of tricks such as launching a Window "in another window", or get a kind of "window handle" from the window title, then modify the Window decoration from the window handle ?

Qubes seems to succeed to do that with xfce, but I am kind of lost in their sources.

EDIT : I can get information and window ID with :

xwininfo -root -tree

Last edited by Neckara (2017-04-03 05:34:38)

#4 2017-04-03 11:07:29

ToZ
Administrator

It looks like they patched the xfwm4 source to provide access to that atom.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-04-03 12:01:43

Neckara

I really begin to dislike Qubes, they use existing work but does not seem to care to pull request their changes.

I am not really familiar with Xfwm's sources, and not confident enough to build it from sources. Maybe I will try to open an issue and see.

Board footer