Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-18 07:42:07

Lengendary

Has gtk-engines-xfce abandoned? or just dormant?

I've notice that gtk-3.0 in each xfce themes inside gtk-engines-xfce none of them worked properly.
they only have gtk.css files but nothing else which is no surprise why some gtk application title menu been wrecked.
xfce4-terminal, lxterminal, uget menu for example but most best worked among them is xfce-flat but still some theme button menu a bit weird
because it has gtk-widgets.css and xfce.css, granite-widgets.css, lightdm-gtk-greeter.css, etc. inside /apps folder
but others didn't have any other than just gtk.css that's why it broked with no .css files control
When I switch to Greybird, Black bird, Numix, Adapta & gtk theme that support gtk-3.20-3.22+ it worked right out of the bat.

Also I've notice that Xubuntu 16.04-17.04 itself been dropped(Silently) gtk2-engines-xfce & gtk3-engines-xfce never installed long ago.
Which Greybird, Blackbird worked properly with gtk-2.0 & 3.0 but gtk3-engines-xfce+gtk2-engines-xfce didn't
Unfortunately most xfce4 metapackage on many xfce distro they're force to installed with gtk2-engines-xfce
by default even install gtk3-engines-xfce it won't worked. In other words they didn't aware that it'll not work with xfce-4.13.0
anymore once fully arrive in future.  I'm among few that notice this and make my own xfce4 metapackage
which I can stay away from gtk-engines-xfce & other rubbish packages which have nothing to do with xfce desktop requirements.

So If possible I'd like xfce developers please back to update and add those new .css control for gtk-3.0 in every themes inside gtk-engines-xfce. Oh.... also plz update bluebird as well it's gtk-3.0 files are not working like Blackbird. It'd waste to drop Bluebird because xfwm4 theme is most beautiful blue blend along with default xfce blue wallpapers.

Last edited by Lengendary (2017-07-18 08:06:18)

#2 2017-07-18 15:07:23

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Has gtk-engines-xfce abandoned? or just dormant?

gtk-engines-xfce has been archived. I believe the reason to archive it was because the manpower to keep the themes updated didn't exist. If someone is willing to invest the time to update and maintain those themes, an arguement can be made to consider moving them back out of archive.

Blackbird and Bluebird are not part of the Xfce codebase per se, thought they were initially createded by Xfce developers. Blackbird does appear to have been upgraded to support Gtk 3.20, but Bluebird doesn't appear to have been updated.  In fact, it looks like it needs someone to volunteer to update it. The best place to get involved with those themes would be at their github sites.

Greybird is actively being kept up to date as Xfce migrates towards GTK3 for the upcoming 4.14 version.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer