Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-16 22:21:41

gmercer2012

Failed to start session. ??

I installed xfce4 on ubuntu server lts 16.04.  Everything ran fine, rebooted after installation fine, and started the login screen fine.  When I go to login to a user from the list, it errors out and states the session failed to start. I can't do anything from this point. Rebooting just repeats the same process.  How do I get passed this login screen without having to re-install everything?

#2 2017-11-17 01:16:47

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Failed to start session. ??

Hello and welcome.

We'll need more information from log files. I believe Ubuntu uses lightdm so look in /var/log/lightdm (post the files with the latest dates) and also the user's ~/.xsession-errors (if it exists) or possible ~/.cache/xfce4/startxfce4.log.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-11-17 02:46:53

gmercer2012

I can't get passed the login screen. Thats the problem. There is, unknown to me and hence why the question, no way to do anything but turn off the machine. If I knew how to back out of the gui, I could probably fix the failure. I just dont know how to get out of that login on the gui to do anything.

#4 2017-11-17 02:55:44

ToZ
Administrator

Ctrl+Alt+F1 will get you a console. Log in there.
In not already installed, install pastebinit "sudo apt-get install pastebinit".
You can use "pastebinit <file>" to post one of the log files to the online paste site. Make note of the link and post it back.

More info on pastebinit here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-11-17 04:53:24

gmercer2012

Thanks.  I sure didn't want to give up on a gui for the server. Too many times webmin has toasted something and made life difficult.

I will give it a try. That may be the only combination of key presses I didn't try. I will let you know what happens.

Board footer