Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-28 18:07:15

Speartip

Dropbox - Can't stop it Autostarting

As the topic says I just installed Dropbox in Xubuntu 16.04.3. I use a script to start it so the menu options show when right clicking the Icon.
But everytime I logout or Reboot another instance of Dropbox adds itself to Autostart.
I have unticked Autostart in Dropbox's preferences. I have removed the entry in /.config/Autostart, as well as in session & startup - Application Autostart, but everytime I log back in the Autostart entry has reproduced itself, causing 2 instances of Dropbox to run.
I've googled around, & others to have the issue, but no solution.
Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 2017-11-29 02:19:29

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Dropbox - Can't stop it Autostarting

Speartip wrote:

but everytime I log back in the Autostart entry has reproduced itself

Has a new entry for dropbox been created in ~/.config/autostart to replace the one you deleted?

If so, try editing that file and changing the line that reads "Exec=dropbox" (or something like that) to just "Exec="

If not, look for a similar .desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart or, since this is Xubuntu, in /etc/xdg-xubuntu/autostart and either delete file or edit it as above.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-11-29 08:50:22

Speartip

ToZ wrote:

Has a new entry for dropbox been created in ~/.config/autostart to replace the one you deleted?

That's exactly what happens, & I have tried editing the Exec line, but it reverts back to as it was everytime I log back in.
I will try your other suggestion & get back.

edit.... Just checked now. There is no Dropbox entry in either /etc/xdg/autostart or /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/autostart.

Last edited by Speartip (2017-11-29 09:00:26)

#4 2017-11-29 11:28:50

ToZ
Administrator

Then it is dropbox that is creating that entry. There is nothing that Xfce can do about it.

If the "Exec=" line in the autostart file contains only dropbox, like "Exec=dropbox" then you could create a /usr/local/bin/dropbox file that does nothing:

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

...make the file executable, and in your script that starts dropbox make sure that you point to the actual real location of the dropbox executable, something like /path/to/dropbox. That way, the desktop file will do nothing and you script will still work.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-01-15 18:36:46

Speartip

OK.. I could not stop Dropbox autostarting regardless of what I tried. So instead I created another Dropbox Autostart item with the command:

/bin/bash -c "sleep 5 && dropbox stop && env DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start -i"

This stops the Dropbox item in the notification area for which there is no context menu, and restarts it in the panel as it should be.
Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Board footer