Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-19 11:03:38

Pimpifax

Problems with notifications in taskbar. Buggy?

First of all i'm not an english native but i'll try to do my best finding the correct english terms. Hope it works good enough. ;-)

I'm using Linux Mint 18.02, Kernel 4.10.0.42, Xfce 4.12 and the notification of some applications in the right corner of the taskbar (i don't know the exact term of the object in the taskbar but i will post a screenshot of it -> Nachrichtenanzeige) are just shown as a symbol, black and white square with a red score out circle. Also if i click on it it only shows me a blank window. It happens with dropbox and also with lucky backup. The problem is that i don't see what the app is doing. I don't know if dropbox is still syncing or already finished. On the other hand it's only possible to end dropbox with the taskmanager.

Does anyone know what this problem is about and how i can solve it?

I'm also not sure if this is a Linux Mint/Ubunto, oder Xfce problem...

(I also posted this topic in the german linuxmintusers.de forum)

dpdh94ofwjpg1qsej.png

dpdh91s4pezu46ssr.png

#2 2017-12-22 01:23:04

Laurentius

Re: Problems with notifications in taskbar. Buggy?

This is is very common problem with Dropbox and its tray icon.
You can read: https://askubuntu.com/questions/732816/ … -icon-fail

Try this:

1) Stop dropbox: 
On Terminal:

$ dropbox stop

or

$ killall dropbox

2) Launch it whith this command:

$ dbus-launch dropbox start

Does it work? if not, try this other:

$ dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start

It is usually a problem with the Indicator plugin (Nachrichtenanzeige). If you remove it, the default command

dropbox start -i

should work and the tray icon should look fine on the Notification area (Benachrichtigungsflache) This is important because on recent versions Dropbox is always overwriting the ~/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop file with the Exec line as "dropbox start -i"

#3 2017-12-22 08:48:39

Pimpifax

Thanks for your answer!
I also have the Problem with Lucky Backup but there it's not essential other than with Dropbox.

So that i have the Problem with my PC at work (@home i use MX Linux/Xfce) i will try it as soon i'm back in my office next week.

#4 2017-12-24 13:50:30

Laurentius

if you are ok with MX and have the problem only in the Mint box, that is maybe because MX does not ship Indicator Plugin by default on the panel. So first thing you can try is to remove Indicator plugin from the panel on the mint box and restart dropbox and lucky backup.

#5 2017-12-27 14:41:57

Pimpifax

Laurentius wrote:

if you are ok with MX and have the problem only in the Mint box, that is maybe because MX does not ship Indicator Plugin by default on the panel. So first thing you can try is to remove Indicator plugin from the panel on the mint box and restart dropbox and lucky backup.

i'm absolutely OK with MX and normally i would prefer it. But for first the Main Problem was that for my business i needed MS Office (2010) to work. And the only (easy) way i learned is with Playonlinux. Which sadly wasn't avaliable on MX. Also an argument for me was that for any problems the Mint community is bigger. So in my thinking the probability to get my problem solved would be higher.

But anyway. Your advice worked perfectly. And now i have the icon back with all its important visual informations and controls. So thanks very much!! :-)
And concerning lucky backup: I switched to Back In Time which is way better for me because its more comfortable with in- and excluding files and folders.

This way worked for me. Also after rebooting/autostart:

Laurentius wrote:

1) Stop dropbox: 
On Terminal:

$ dropbox stop

2) Launch it whith this command:

$ dbus-launch dropbox start

#6 2018-01-21 00:34:39

Jerry3904

But for first the Main Problem was that for my business i needed MS Office (2010) to work. And the only (easy) way i learned is with Playonlinux. Which sadly wasn't avaliable on MX.

Yes it is, it's in the MX Package Installer reaady to install and use.

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2018-01-21 01:00:07)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer