Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-10 16:55:49

rayandrews

plugin "Audio Mixer" unexpectedly left the panel ...

Hi All,

Sheesh, I haven't had a problem or an issue in ages, xfce working perfectly. But after my last update of Debian, my volume slider has stopped working. Trying to reinstall I get: "The plugin restarted more than once in the last 60 seconds".  I also tried the 'PulseAudio' thingy, but I get: "Establishing connection to PulseAudio" ... and it hangs.  The icon in the panel shows up but has an 'X' on it.  But 'Pulse' never did work anyway, whereas the older 'xfce4-mixer' always did.  But it no longer seems to be available for reinstall in Debian repos.  Sound is there, I just can't adjust the volume.

Last edited by rayandrews (2018-01-10 16:58:17)

#2 2018-01-10 20:23:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: plugin "Audio Mixer" unexpectedly left the panel ...

xfce4-mixer was deprecated and no longer being updated so many distros removed it from their repositories (it has seen a revival recently and has been migrated to gtk3 and will probably be available again in the 4.14 Xfce release).

You can use an alternate tray applet like volumeicon-alsa. It seems to work well in Jessie anyways.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-01-10 21:05:15

Jerry3904

We compiled and shipped 0.5.1 with MX-17 (Debian Stretch) with pavucontrol set as the external mixer, and it works very nicely. OP can install the deb from our repos, if interested.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#4 2018-01-10 21:30:23

rayandrews

ToZ wrote:

You can use an alternate tray applet like volumeicon-alsa. It seems to work well in Jessie anyways.

Thanks ToZ, I installed that, now how do I get to it?  I'm not sure I have/use 'tray', tho I do recall the word.

#5 2018-01-10 21:34:51

rayandrews

Jerry3904 wrote:

We compiled and shipped 0.5.1 with MX-17 (Debian Stretch) with pavucontrol set as the external mixer, and it works very nicely. OP can install the deb from our repos, if interested.

Hi Jerry.  Not sure about your jargon, I'm not that adept.  What is OP? I have 'pavucontrol' already installed, I think that's the thing that never did work, tho one is never sure what the name of a menu item tells you about the name of the package that installs it, so I could be wrong.

#6 2018-01-10 21:35:45

ToZ
Administrator

rayandrews wrote:
ToZ wrote:

Thanks ToZ, I installed that, now how do I get to it?  I'm not sure I have/use 'tray', tho I do recall the word.

It gets added to the notification area. Just add "volumeicon" to your startup applications.

But have a look at Jerry's comment. Looks like they've got the update version of xfce4-mixer packaged. That would be a better solution.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#7 2018-01-10 22:00:18

rayandrews

Sorry for being thick:  In 'Session and Startup' > 'Application Autostart', 'XFCE Volume Daemon' is already ticked.  Do you mean something else, somewhere else?  Mean time, I'll see if I can find what Jerry is talking about.  What is the notification area?

#8 2018-01-10 22:11:54

rayandrews

Tried installing this:

xfce4-mixer_4.11.0-1mx150+1_amd64.deb

... but there a half a dozen dependencies.  Should I go for it?

#9 2018-01-10 23:45:26

Jerry3904

As always, it's your choice. About 20,000 MX-17 users have done it so far on Debian 9 without problem, but as always YMMV.

(OP = original post(er), sorry to be cryptic.)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#10 2018-01-11 01:36:56

ToZ
Administrator

rayandrews wrote:

Sorry for being thick:  In 'Session and Startup' > 'Application Autostart', 'XFCE Volume Daemon' is already ticked.  Do you mean something else, somewhere else?  Mean time, I'll see if I can find what Jerry is talking about.  What is the notification area?

For the volumeicon option, add a new entry where the name is "volumeicon" and the command is also "volumeicon" (without the quotes). The Xfce Volume Daemon is something else - its for controlling the volume multimedia keys and displaying volume notifications.

The notification area is the system tray - the area in the panel that displays applets like the volume icon.

#11 2018-01-11 16:26:19

rayandrews

ToZ wrote:

The notification area is the system tray - the area in the panel that displays applets like the volume icon.

Panel > Add New Items > Notification Area ... is greyed out, can't add it.

#12 2018-01-11 16:47:48

ToZ
Administrator

That's because it's already added to your panel.

Try running "volumeicon" directly from a terminal window. This should start the applet and add it to your panel in the notification area and you can then test it to see if it works.

#13 2018-01-11 16:50:25

rayandrews

Jerry3904 wrote:

As always, it's your choice. About 20,000 MX-17 users have done it so far on Debian 9 without problem, but as always YMMV.

(OP = original post(er), sorry to be cryptic.)

That's ok, you never know how much another guy knows. 

"xfce4-mixer depends on libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 (>= 0.10.18); however:"

I found the needed dependencies in Debian Jesse repos, all is well.  Now, I hope this stuff isn't removed again next time I try to update sad

Thanks man.

#14 2018-01-11 16:54:31

rayandrews

ToZ wrote:

That's because it's already added to your panel.

Try running "volumeicon" directly from a terminal window. This should start the applet and add it to your panel in the notification area and you can then test it to see if it works.

Right! Works from CLI,  however I have the older thing back and working via a Jerry below.  Now, to keep it, or at least until something stock works.

Thanks both.

#15 2018-01-11 17:02:55

ToZ
Administrator

Great. Jerry's option is the better one.

Board footer